Chapter 13

A/N: I know that in the original story the Beauxbatons and Drumstrang students come at the very beginning of the year, but I wanted to introduce Anastasia and everything before bringing them into it so in this fic they come about a quarter of the way into the year :)

Anastasia's POV

"I heard there's a special announcement today. What do you think it could be?" Lucy looked around the Great Hall eagerly.

Dumbledore walked up onto the stage and Lucy shushed me even though I wasn't saying anything.

"Students! We have an exciting announcement today! Our school has been chosen to host a legendary event. This year we are having the Triwizard Tournament at Hogwarts. The Triwizard Tournament brings together three wizarding schools. From each school a single student will be selected to compete."

The entire room erupted in excited chatter. "No way!!!" Lucy turned towards me so quickly that I didn't know how she didn't get whiplash.

Dumbledore continued: "Let me be clear. If chosen, you stand alone. Trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint-hearted. Please welcome the two visiting schools! First, from France, we have the ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic!"

Girls dressed in outfits of all light blue walked into the room as the doors opened. When they tip-toed to the front, butterflies flew from nowhere and flitted about before disappearing in a shimmer of sparkles.

The room of students clapped and Dumbledore loudly began once again, "And now please greet the sons of Drumstrang!"

The opening doors now revealed a throng of boys who marched into the room with torch-like sticks. As they chanted and hit the sticks on the ground, sparks of fire flew from them.

A boy at the front of the room knelt and blew on a stick with a small flame on it and a bird of fire soared around his head before disappearing.

Everyone gasped as Viktor Krum, who apparently was an excellent quidditch player, marched into the room slightly behind them.

After this, all of us stood to sing our song for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and I couldn't help but giggle as we read the words off in front of two schools of children who had just performed awe-inspiring charms.

I rested my head on the table and zoned out as Dumbledore explained the age restrictions which seemed to upset many of the students in the first six years.

***

"Did you see Ron's face when that girl walked in?" Lucy's eyebrows furrowed with concern.

"I must say that I did not."

"Well, I stand no chance. I should just give up now. There's no point in even looking his way anymore. He'll never go for me."

I chuckled at how dramatic she was, but I was determined to get Lucy a sweet, ginger date to the dance. "Don't be silly. Anyway, who do you think will represent Hogwarts in the Triwizard Tournament?"

"No idea. There are rumors of a few seventh years being worthy."

"Are any of them cute?" I joked

Lucy nodded eagerly. "Oh yeah for sure. There's one boy who already put his name in the Goblet of Fire. His name's Cedric Diggory. Not only is he beautifully handsome, but he's also a proper gentleman. I don't know him well of course but he's a Hufflepuff and he tutors first years. I hope his name is pulled. If anyone deserves an honor like Triwizard Champion, it's him."

I mindlessly mumbled, "yeah," catching sight of platinum blonde hair making its way towards me in the hall.

"Why is Malfoy walking towards us?"

"No idea," I responded. "I'll talk to him."

Lucy hesitated for a second and then made her way back to the dorms, trusting that I could handle the boy on my own.

"How do you feel about a study session tomorrow?" He asked.

I tilted my head at him. "A study session? What about the filth in my veins?"

"So you did hear that? But then why did you still pull me-"

"Look, Draco, I can handle you being mean to me, because I get it. You're not a bad kid. You're just a bit stupid. But the thing is that when you're mean to my friends I can't keep making excuses for still hanging out with you."

"So you... you won't study with me?" His face looked hurt, like a wounded puppy, which confused me a bit. Had I not been the one following him around? Forcing him to teach me? I supposed I had finally reached him the way I had meant to. But this wasn't just about me.

"Not until you can apologize for what you said to Hermione."

"You want me to apologize to Granger? Not gonna happen."

"Okay. Then we're done studying together." I spun on my heel and started towards my dorm.

Draco's POV

She spun on her heel and walked away from me, powerful but sweet, like only a princess could.

I watched her leave and my head spun with thoughts. It seemed like she didn't want to say no to me. It seemed like she felt bad that she couldn't say yes, as if she couldn't control her response. As if I gave her no other option when I called Granger a "mudblood."

I was already making myself vulnerable by wanting this girl. I couldn't apologize to someone. What would my father think of me laying my pride down and showing remorse? I would be scorned. He would curse the fact that I was his son. Sometimes I think he already does.

I'd get her some other way.