Chapter 33

Anastasia's POV

I woke up a few hours later with my towel falling off of me. I hadn't intended to fall asleep, but sometimes after crying, some rest is needed.

I ached a little less so I got up, put on my school uniform and walked to find the rest of the students. I entered the room where Ron, Lucy and I had gotten into through the passage earlier. The number of students was much fewer than when I had last seen them.

Harry and Hermione had apparently returned.

Hermione and I walked to stand opposite each other. "You all look horrid."

"I wonder why. School with Headmaster Snape has been simply luxurious."

Ginny walked up and Harry's face lowered even more than it already had. "Ginny, what's wrong? What happened to everyone?"

"We've suffered many casualties..."

The two newcomers started to spin, searching hopelessly to see who had been lost.

"Ron?"

"Dead," she stated matter-of-factly.

Harry froze, but Hermione grabbed Ginny's sleeve and pulled her towards her into a hug. I hadn't known about Ron either. I had no idea the full list of lives lost.

***

I was on my way to class, or what the death eaters pretended was class, when a wizard dressed in royal garments appeared in front of me.

Astoria Greengrass slammed her shoulder into me. "Looks like the princess has to go home," she stuck out her bottom lip, then lifted the pendant on my neck with her fingers. "Pretty. Maybe I should make stealing your things a habit."

"A habit? You mean to say you've stolen from me before?" I scrunched my eyebrows and the wizard's arms grabbed mine.

"We've got to go now."

"No, wait. Astoria, what do you mean?"

She smiled and twinkled her fingers as a mocking wave goodbye.

"What do you mean?!" I stomped forward, but the man yanked me back and the Slytherin began to fade from view.

My royal advisor stood just in front of where we had appeared and stepped forward to click a bracelet on to my wrist. "And here is our next step. This bracelet will take the place of that musty old room so don't worry about that."

Heat went up my arm from where the jewelry sat and spread throughout my entire body. And then I slumped a bit. It felt like it was tugging at the very essence of my energy.

"Today is an important day. You get to see your husband."

"We're not married," I grumbled.

"Not yet. Now follow me."

We walked into the large room with diamond chandeliers hanging at different levels from the ceiling and the intricate patterns etched into every inch of the walls. There was something about growing up in a palace that made one feel perpetually ungrateful. It was a wonderful, awe-inspiring sight, but I couldn't stop and stand in amazement every time I entered a room.

"There's my bride," Castion sauntered up and petted my cheek. He took steps in a circle around me as if making an appraisal at a pawn shop. Both of my parents were here too, holding their breath for his next sentence. "Yes, you've grown into yourself quite nicely. I accept your offer."

My parents both exhaled and my father took my hand. "Isn't it wonderful, Anastasia? You're finally going to be wed!"

I maintained my silence in protest, but nobody was actually waiting for a response anyway. Servants led me off to another room to be shoved into heavily ornamented wedding dresses.

***

It had been several weeks since I returned to home and I'd managed to send Hermione a letter. I ripped open the one she sent to me this morning which I hadn't gotten the chance to read yet.

"Dear Anastasia,

Things here are as scary and dark as ever. Harry's trying to pretend he has a plan, but honestly we have no clue what we're doing. There are these things called horcruxes and they're what make he-who-shall-not-be-named immortal. Malfoy gave us a list of them but it turns out that they weren't all on there. We don't have any idea where to start looking for the rest. We don't even know how many there are. Speaking of Malfoy, I'm sure you're well aware of his engagement to Astoria. I don't know what happened between you two, but whatever is going on, I hope you're doing well.

Hermione Granger"

My heart felt like it shattered. It was so sharp and sudden that my body seemed to jolt as each crack formed. Or maybe that was just the tears begging to be released. I took the deepest inhale I could muster and muffled a scream with clenched teeth, shoving everything sitting on my desk to the floor and flipping over the chair. I think that I had looked into his eyes too much, for it seemed I had gained some of his temper.