Chapter 14

Anastasia's POV

"I've never thought about it like that," Ron pondered whatever interesting idea Lucy had just shared.

Ron sat with us whenever he could lately. Earlier this week, the participants for the Triwizard Tournament were pulled from the Goblet of Fire. Viktor Krum, Fleur Delacour, Cedric Diggory and... Harry Potter were chosen.

Ron didn't believe that Harry hadn't put his own name in the Goblet somehow, despite the age limit. It wasn't so much that Ron was angry at Harry for entering. He was hurt that Harry hadn't shared it with him; That they didn't figure out how to put his name in as best friends like they were supposed to be.

Harry said that he didn't put his name in and I think I was one of the very few students that believed him, but Ron refused to hear it. I guess he needed to sort it out for himself.

"I know way too much about insects too," Lucy was glowing.

"Anything but spiders," Ron made a sick face.

"Are you afraid of spiders, Ron?" I put my hand over my mouth to hide my laugh.

He crossed his arms. "I... just don't like them."

"Well, spiders are actually not insects. They're arachnids. I love spiders. Have you ever watched them create a web? They actually add more parts to their web than they need to. They make it prettier. People aren't exactly sure why that is, but I think they're just trying to share some beauty with the world," Lucy played with a sliced carrot in her hand while she spoke and then put it in her mouth. It took the girl ages to eat a single meal.

"I didn't know that... I suppose that's pretty cool," Ron scrunched his face as if reconsidering his fear. "They still quite disgust me though."

Suddenly, a shimmer appeared in front of me and the glowing gold began to form the petals of a white rose. I cupped my hands underneath it as it lowered into them gently. A note sprung from it that simply said "Y"

"Y?" Ron leaned over me. "Who the bloody hell is that from?"

I shrugged, "no clue. Maybe they'll send something else." Just as I said it, I felt something settle on my head. Reaching up, I felt more flower petals. It hadn't fully formed and the feel of the sparks on my fingertips sent shivers through my body.

"Another note?" Lucy and Ron leaned in.

"U"

"Who's sending them?" Ron stuck his head between the roses and I to get a better look.

"Ron, I didn't figure it out in the last ten seconds," I shoved him back a bit.

"Right," he sat back down and raised his eyebrows at Lucy across the table confusedly.

***

On my way to the library, a flower began to glow at my feet. I knelt down and the next note slipped from its petals. "L"

I felt something brush my face and I reached up to find another with its stem helping it rest on my ear. When I touched it, a piece of paper with the letter "E" fell into my hand.

In front of me, a magical orb of light began to etch a question mark into the stone floor of the corridor. Once it added the dot, the orb became a butterfly, fluttering in circles around my head. I looked behind me to follow it and right above the Son of the Moon's head appeared: "-D.M."

"Seriously?"

"What is it? Do you not like the color?" He smirked. "I assumed you'd like white roses: a pure color, fitting for royalty. But I suppose red is more romantic."

He swirled his wand and the deep color gave the illusion of blood seeping into the petals of the flowers that I was holding until they were entirely red.

"All of this means a certain apology has been properly received?"

Draco scoffed, "I'm not asking Granger to the ball. I'm asking you."

"I think I was pretty clear what the conditions of us being friends was."

"Then it's a good thing I'm not trying to be friends," his mask of confidence didn't waver.

"Draco..." I sternly stated, feeling a bit motherly.

"You're lucky I'm asking you. I could have any girl in this school."

"Why aren't you asking one of them then?"

"Think about it." He stepped forward and tilted my chin up with his finger, which I shook away. "We're two of the most highly regarded students in the school and yet of completely opposite worlds. I always have the prettiest prize on my arm and imagine the influence of the two of us walking into that ball together. The power we'd hold."

"I am not just a pretty prize. Apologize to my friend, be less of a narcissistic dick and then I might consider fulfilling your fantasy."

He sniffed, looking away and back. "You drive a hard bargain."

"The choice is yours."

I continued my path towards the library, leaving him to ponder his options.

"You'll end up with me," he called before going his own way.

Onlookers would have viewed our banter as an argument, but both of us left the encounter with an extra skip in our step.