Chapter 4

Anastasia's POV
We sit in our spots at the Ravenclaw table. Half of the students around us like to read during dinner, which feels like something that wouldn't help stereotypes about our house, but if the shoe fits, I suppose.

"There he is," Lucy sighed in awe.

I followed her gaze, through the Hufflepuffs to a red-headed boy. He was shoving food into his mouth so aggressively that it made me feel a bit sick just watching.

"He's cute," I agreed.

"I know," her shoulders slumped as she stared.

Then, I remembered the boy that I should be staring at. I turned around to where he had been sitting when I first walked into the hall and there he was, laughing so genuinely that it was hard to believe so many students could fear him.

Lucy's words faded from the background as she noticed I was no longer looking at the Gryffindor table. "Uhhh fancy a Slytherin do you?"

"I'm not sure."

"Well, be careful with them. Sometimes what people say about them is wrong. Some make incredibly good friends, I'm sure. But other times..." she shivered as if the very thought of a Slytherin set her nerves off-kilter.

"So I've heard," I mumbled just as Draco catches me. I waved subtly and he clenched his jaw. My eyebrows raised as I suppressed a laugh.

It seemed like he tried to go back to interacting with his friends, but his eyes kept returning to me. After a minute or so, he gave up, shifted in his seat so that he was facing me head-on and began shooting daggers into me with his eyes. This boy was finally participating in my game. And I wouldn't lose.
It seemed like hours passed as I looked at him. They say eyes are the windows to one's soul. Maybe I now knew everything about him. Maybe his whole life story was transferred to me through the waves of energy between us. I wondered if anyone else could feel how warm the room was getting.

"WHAT ARE Y-!" Lucy choked on the food in her mouth and the tension vanished the second I broke contact. "What are you doing?! Is Draco Malfoy the Slytherin?! Were you just staring at Draco Malfoy?!"

I furrowed my eyebrows, frustrated that I was the first to look away. Draco was already back to eating. He glanced up at me one last time and quickly looked back down at his food. I don't think he knew that I could see the corners of his mouth turning up.

"Anastasia?!"

"Yes, Draco Malfoy," I answered.

"Nothing but trouble! That's synonymous with him. You like him? No. No, you don't like him. I shouldn't have even asked, because I won't allow it anyway."

"Won't allow it? Well, I'm not sure if I fancy him. I'm not sure what it is about him that I fancy. But if I did like him then I'd thank you kindly to mind your business on the matter."

"Look, Annie, think about it this way. Yesterday, Dumbledore told us that we were all meant to make sure you stayed safe while you were here. Most students at Hogwarts are happy to do that. Draco Malfoy not only couldn't care less if something happened to you, but would happily kill you himself. Choose anyone else."