Chapter 6

Anastasia's POV

Lucy clutched her books to her chest as she talked about her favorite classes this year, which was pretty much all of them.

It also turned out a lot of people were in my Ancient Runes class.

"But of course I love this one because I have a wonderful view."

"If you mean Ron," I giggle at her, "you should just talk to him."

"Ah I couldn't," she shook her head.

"Why not?"

"He's so... so..."

For a girl who seemed to never run out of words, they sure failed her when she was describing the Weasley boy.

She sighed in frustration. "Well whatever he is, he'll never like me."

"Never like you? Lucy, he'd feel lucky to date you, I'm sure, or he wouldn't be worth all of this fancying anyway. Just talk to him."

"He doesn't even know I exist," she tightened her lips sadly.

"Then show him you do," I said as we walked into class. There he was, sitting on the long bench next to Harry Potter and the girl they were friends with; plenty of space for two Ravenclaw girls on his other side.

I sat down promptly next to him and Lucy scanned the classroom anxiously before she realized that sitting with me was still her best option.

"So," I began, "Ron, is it? And Harry Potter. Wow, how exciting."

"Uhh hello," Ron scrunched his nose and looked back and forth between Harry and I.

Harry just widened his eyes a bit and he and Ron made eye contact.

"This class is such a bore, is it not?" I actually found the class quite fun, but agony and boredom always seemed to be the best way to relate to a fellow student.

Ron nodded.

"It's not my favorite, that's for sure." Harry finally added to the conversation.

"What is your favorite?"

"Defense Against the Dark Arts, I suppose."

"Ohhh that one's pretty cool. Ready to fight some evil wizards, are ya?"

He snickered, "you have no idea."

"Oh I'm sorry! I totally forgot: my name's Anastasia."

"Trust me, we know," Ron looked me up and down.

"Well, this is my friend Lucy."

"Hi," she waved meekly from behind me.

Ron raised his eyebrows, "hi."

He had a very expressional face. To be quite honest, he didn't look at us with disgust, but he also didn't look at us happily. He just seemed plain terrified.

"So wh- um- what's your favorite class then, Lucy?" Ron stammered.

"Uh- oh- I actually quite enjoy this one, honestly. This and History of Magic. You?" She stammered right back.

"Blimey, I haven't enjoyed a class since Flying in first year."

"I see," her face was beaming.

"Attention class. It's time to begin."

"I guess we better listen now," Lucy whispered.

"Listen? Some people actually listen? Geez, is Ravenclaw just full of Hermiones?" Ron joked, turning to face the teacher.

***

We were all laughing as we walked out of class. I was hopeful that these kids could be good friends.

Draco shoved past us and then slammed a girl's books to the floor while we watched him march down the hall.

"What an arse," Hermione grumbled as she leaned down and helped the girl collect her things.

"Yeah, he doesn't seem so nice, does he?" I continued to watch him.

"The complete opposite. Have you had a run-in with him already?" Hermione asked.

"A few actually. I've had quite a lot of fun messing with the boy."

"Messing? With Malfoy? No way." Ron shook his head.

"Yes, way," I assured him.

"I don't believe it."

"Well, I did tell him that I'd see him at lunch. Just watch this." We entered the Great Hall and I strutted over to where he was seated.

This time, when he saw me, he grinned.

"The princess gracing us with her time?" He cocked his head to the side.

"Yes, consider yourself very lucky," I crossed my arms.

His friends all nudged him, laughing, and he stood up.

"What are you at the Slytherin table for, princess? Shouldn't you be over where it's safe?"

"I don't see any danger here. You're supposed to be my tutor, remember?"

"I told you to find another."

"And I said no," I matched his stare.

"Look, sweetie, I'm sorry you're failing your classes but there's no need to come running to me. I get it if you have a crush, but you're starting to look a little desperate," he stuck out his bottom lip.

"Ooooh," the table of boys burst out.

I huffed, but regained my composure. "Well, thank you for your kind consideration, Malfoy. And I appreciate you knowing to stand in the presence of your princess, but the proper thing to do is also to bow, actually. You'll get it next time, I'm sure."

I smirked at him until I turned around and my face dropped.

"Woah, how'd that go?" Ron said with wide eyes.

"Not as well as I had hoped."