Chapter 20

Draco's POV

"Won't you just tell me?" I insisted, poking at the girl's arm.

"Absolutely not! How have you gone your entire life without knowing what February 14th is!"

"Is it not a muggle holiday? You've heard stories about my parents, Annie. Why would they teach me about a muggle holiday?"

"BECAUSE IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT HOLIDAY OF THE YEAR! IT'S VALENTINE'S DAY!"

"Valentine's Day?" I could see the frustration growing on her face. I'd seen it many times, considering the fact that teasing her was my favorite hobby, but this time I was genuinely out of the loop.

"It's a day for boyfriends and girlfriends to be madly in love and for all single people to be sad and lonely. I've never had a boyfriend for it, but I'd lay in the library for hours and read romance novels. My parents dreaded it, because it was also the day I skipped my training. I managed to find a new hiding spot every year." She grinned at the bushes around us as she told me her story.

"Well," I leaned in. "Now," I moved a strand of perfectly curled hair from her face and over her shoulder. "You have a boyfriend." My lips found their way to the nape of her neck and she giggled softly.

"That I do."

"So, how shall we spend this... Valentine's Day?"

"Any day with you feels like Valentine's Day." We'd been dating a few months now, but when she told me things like this it still sent chills through me. Someone loved me so dearly that spending every waking moment together would never be a burden; I pinched myself daily just to make sure.

"Of course. I'm wonderful. But if you love it so much then we must do something special."

She sat for a moment. I could almost see the thoughts travelling around her head. And then she smiled. "Read with me."

"Read with you?"

"Read with me!" She jumped up from her seat. "Come on, come on." She tugged on my arm like a child eager to go on a ride at a carnival.

Our feet tip-toed excitedly until they reached her room. We'd made quite the habit of sneaking into each other's dorms.

She nearly had her very own library; her bookshelf stood tall against the wall. Her fingers moved across the covers, carefully picking which book to read.

"Pride and Prejudice?"

"Seems a bit girly."

She shot a look at me.

"I'm kidding, of course. We can read anything you choose."

"Yeah. Let's read this since we've gotta be romantic and all. It might take more than one day's reading session, but you can deal with it," she grasped the top of the tie around my neck, where it peeked out of my school jumper, and led me to her bed. We laid down and she began her story.

I wasn't really listening to the words though. I was listening to the way she said them. So enthusiastically. I hoped she'd never lose her joy. The glass was always half full with her and if she ever saw the world otherwise, I wasn't quite sure who she would be. Still mine, of course. But so sad. I shook the thought from my head. She had me: her protector. I would always be here to ward off the demons for her.

***

"Your first year at a wizarding school is officially complete. How do you feel?" I leaned against my suitcase.

"Terrible," she sighed and flopped against my chest.

My fingers found the ruffles of her dress and I rubbed her back. "Yeah, I know. But we'll see each other again in just two months."

"Two months. Far too long. A lot can happen in two months."

I was scared too and I'm sure she knew it, but admitting it would be the downfall of us both. I was playing the voice of reason and she was saying what we were both thinking. Whichever one of us spoke first always got to play the sad part; there can't be two sad people and no one with logic, because then it's just a big lump of sadness and nobody wants that.

I started my speech of hopefulness, "a lonely, boring two months with parents full of expectations and a house that could bring down anyone's mood and then a reunion with the person that makes us the happiest. We've both done it before without knowing that something wonderful comes at the end of it. And we'll write to each other every day if we have to."

We stepped on the train for our last little while together. She fell asleep on my lap, all peaceful and lovely, and my heart broke. Summer break was simply the worst thing to exist.

Anastasia's POV

Hands grabbed and pulled at me.

"Oh goodness, princess! Have you been brushing your hair?"

"I don't think they even have a sauna at that school. Feel her skin!"

"This isn't a royal dress! She's been buying her own dresses!"

"Don't worry, princess, we'll fix you right up!"

Several hours later, I finally made it into my room and sat down to write my first letter to Draco.

"Dear Son of the Moon,

There's no more peace here. It's my first day and I've already been driven mad by grabby hands that think my body is for them to touch. I don't have much to say yet, of course, but I couldn't wait to write. How are things at the manor?

With love,

Anastasia"

The owl that I had brought along flew off with the letter to the boy and I was almost disappointed when it didn't return with a response the second it was out of sight. But, a few hours later, it sat on my windowsill with a new envelope in its beak.

"Dear Princess Midnight,

I'm quite offended that you didn't end your letter addressing yourself with your proper title and yet you refer to me with mine. Things here are okay though. I'd much rather be at school. My father's being quite the grump and I'm not sure why. Although I suppose it's not uncommon. My mother smothered me with kisses the moment I entered the door and it was positively horrific so I can't imagine the absolute terror of your situation, but I do wish they were my grabby hands on you instead.

We'll be together soon,

Son of the Moon."

"Dear Son of the Moon,

My deepest apologies for signing my last letter with such an antiquated name as "Anastasia" and thank you for not making the same mistake. I've been spared the smothering of a mother's kisses. I won't be seeing my parents until dinner tonight, sitting up tall and taking tiny royal bites around the large dining table. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at the fact you've already found a way to be cheeky in writing, but I suppose it is what happens when you date something as awful as a teenage boy.

Not soon enough.

Princess Midnight"

Weeks passed as I transcribed my life for a magic owl to carry.

"Dear Son of the Moon,

I know that I've been telling you about this arrangement, but my parents are serious now. I hope they will allow me to finish the next few years of school before they try to force this union. I've just learned that who they have decided on is Castion Manchester. He's not royal but he is rich. And a prick. I've known him my whole life. His family is highly regarded and they think it'd look good to the public if we were wed. Take me away from here, my moon. Somewhere far away from my duties.

I miss you,

Princess Midnight"