Chapter 8

Draco's POV

Crabbe and Goyle sat shoving cupcakes into their mouths when my mother's owl flew in with a letter. The bird landed on the nightstand next to me and released the letter from its beak as I reached for it.

"Draco,

I hope you're representing the family name well. One day perhaps I will be able to sit calmly, feeling sure that my son will still be worthy of my love when the mail reaches him, but until then I guess I must address my letters to a young boy who could ruin us at any moment. We have an important path to follow, son. I write to you now for the purpose of my usual check-in. That nasty school has become so full of mudbloods that I almost fear they will soon let muggles themselves in. Remember to keep your chin up in the hallways. They must always know that you are more worthy than being in the presence of the filthy scent of their blood. They will be out of there soon.

-Lucius"

I breathed as I closed the letter from my father. He sent one about once a month, always the same: Don't fail our name. Hate muggles; My only instructions for my whole life and yet following them felt so wrong. My father knew I was weak. He pushed me relentlessly because of it. He pushed me because it was best. He pushed me because he loved me. We were on the right side of things. The winning side. Sometimes the right thing was hard to follow, but we had to be strong and let the darkness have us.

I got up and walked out of the dorms, leaving Crabbe and Goyle with frosting-covered faces. They didn't even notice me leave. They never noticed when I went on my walks after curfew.

I slipped through the halls until I made it to the door, pushing it open and feeling a gust of wind blow strands of hair out of my face for a moment. It was pitch black and I watched cautiously for creatures that might live in the night.

My lips parted and my chest pushed the carbon dioxide from it until it felt like my lungs had deflated. Nobody was around at night. I didn't have to stick my chin up.

I was sure that my father didn't need a breath of fresh air to feel like the world wasn't crashing down on him. Maybe that came along with being a man. Maybe, as a boy, my father was just as weak as I.

This is what life is meant to be. It takes a sacrifice of freedom if one wants to attain power. One day, all of this would make me a great wizard. One day, loneliness wouldn't be such a bother.

Back inside the warm school, stuffy with the expectations of my parents, the sound of light footsteps was echoing through the corridor. Standing outside of the door to the Ravenclaw common room was the princess in a silk nightgown with her dark hair pulled back by a clip. She was barefoot and clutching a book, whispering to the door knocker until it allowed her passage inside.

I took one more deep breath and imagined that cold air was burning my throat instead of the warm, ancient smell of Hogwarts before I returned to the Slytherin dorm to go to sleep.

Anastasia's POV

-bonk-

"Damn it," I cursed.

"Anastasia?" Lucy rubbed her tired eyes.

"Yeah?"

"What are you doing? It's..." she flipped over to check the time "twelve o'clock at night."

"Just reading."

"Okay," she accepted my answer. "What are you reading?"

I looked at the book in my hand, "A Little Princess. It's my favorite."

"A Little Princess," she repeated tiredly and laid back in her bed. "You have good taste."