Chapter 5

Anastasia's POV

The bark of the tree I was leaning against was a bit scratchy on my back while I tried to study for my Defense Against the Dark Arts quiz. "Lumos!" My wand began to glow brightly. "Hell yes!"

A hand gripped my arm and yanked me so viciously that my wand flew onto the ground.

"What the hell is your bloody problem?" My face was inches from Draco's. His jaw was clenched so tightly I was sure his teeth would shatter.

"Why the angry face, Malfoy?" I pouted, sarcastically feigning innocence.

"You think you're clever, do you? Find a new tutor. Or fail the class for all I care. I'm not helping a muggle-born," he spat.

"That's a bit rude. I don't see why you're so against muggles."

"They're not worthy of magic and anyone born by them has tainted, filthy blood."

"Did you come up with that yourself? Or have you just let someone shove it down your throat?"

He breathed angrily but didn't answer.

"If you're so afraid of muggle blood, then maybe you shouldn't be standing so close to me," I said, moving in a bit so that I could feel the heat radiating from his skin.

"I'm not afraid of you. I'm not afraid of anyone," he scoffed.

"Then why did you just step back?" I said as his foot retreated slightly.

His face looked hot and it seemed as if smoke was about to come out of his ears. He shoved me into the tree and put his wand up to my throat. 

Truthfully, I knew nothing about this boy. I had only just met him that week and we had barely had a conversation. I should be scared, as I had no reason to believe he wouldn't say the incantation of a horrible hex right now. The look he gave me didn't betray him either. There wasn't some softness in his eyes despite the anger he was trying to showcase. But maybe that was because he truly believed that this was who he was. People can convince themselves of anything. If they never question what everyone says they are, then they will be whoever everyone expects them to be. And right now, I could see that the Son of the Moon was not just pretending.

"You don't want to get on my bad side," he hissed.

"This is the path to your bad side? I assumed you threatened all of your best buds against a tree." I knew I should probably stop taunting him, but I was having too much fun and the boy didn't frighten me at all. Perhaps this is what the sorting hat meant when it said I could do well in gryffindor.

"Find someone else to tutor you," he dropped his wand and walked away.

"So I'll see you at lunch?" I called after him.

Draco's POV

"If you're so afraid of muggle blood, then maybe you shouldn't be standing so close to me," she taunted.

I felt my stomach turn and my cheeks grow hotter when she stepped closer to me. Anger. I'm just angry.

"I'm not afraid of you. I'm not afraid of anyone," I scoffed, but due to my discomfort with our close proximity, my foot moved back.

"Then why did you just step back?"

My whole body filled up with something. I was angry before but suddenly I wanted to swing my wand at her and shout the Cruciatus Curse as loudly as I could.

I lunged forward and pushed her into the tree behind her, giving myself the advantage, feeling like I had control again. I put my wand up to her neck and the horrible incantation that was sitting upon my lips tempted me.

Her eyes moved back and forth about my face. She was studying me. She was looking for weakness. I just knew it. Everyone watches closely for when I'll mess up. But I am stone cold. Everything people think of me is true. And I want the princess standing in front of me to know that.

"You don't want to get on my bad side."

"This is the path to your bad side? I assumed you threatened all of your best buds against a tree," she looked as if she were proud of herself for being so witty. Usually, a statement like this would make me even more angry, so why did my body cool down when she said it?

"Find someone else to tutor you," I hurried off to find Crabbe and Goyle, or at least to take a deep breath.

"So I'll see you at lunch?" She called after me and I caught myself mid-chuckle.