Chapter 15

Draco's POV

I sat in the tree in the common area and tossed an apple in my hand. It'd been a week since I asked Anastasia to the Yule Ball.

I wasn't sure what else to do. I couldn't ask her in front of people, especially if I wasn't positive she'd say yes. It would be mortifying if I let people know that I was the one chasing after her.

I laid my head back against the trunk and squeezed my eyes shut, trying to think of anything else. The image of her walking into the Great Hall on her first day popped into my head. I had felt nauseous seeing how beautiful a girl that I wasn't allowed to love could be.

I snapped my eyes open and leapt from the tree.

"Oi where are you going?!" Crabbe called after me.

"On a walk," my teeth sank into the fruit in my hand and I stomped away.

Goyle mumbled, "why does he always leave us behind?" I chucked the apple over my head, hearing a thud and a groan as it landed on my target.

I would study. That would get my mind off of things.

When my fingers peeled open the pages of the Potions textbook, my thoughts wandered to sitting in the astronomy tower with the ocean blue eyes watching. I missed having someone who listened to my every word with wonder and passion. Crabbe and Goyle heard everything I said, because they were too afraid of me to ignore me, but they didn't cling to every word. They didn't respond with anything of substance.

Why did she have to think of the worst possible thing she could have asked of me?

I sat on the floor, behind a corner and rubbed my eyes frustratedly. I wasn't sure what my plan was anyway. What would I even do once I got her?

Mudbloods were supposed to be idiots, with nothing interesting in their brains. Hermione's existence was a bit infuriating considering the fact that, on coming to Hogwarts, I had planned on being top of the class. And now I was meeting Anastasia who thought of everything and spoke the prettiest words in the prettiest way and looked at people with such brightness that they could never be sad in her presence. She brought everything I was supposed to think about muggles crashing down on me in just a few study sessions and a minute in the rain and my brain wouldn't let me forget her.

Just as I thought that, I heard her voice in the distance. Poking my head out from behind the wall I was sitting behind, I saw her walking down the corridor with Weasley, Granger, Potter and the buzzing bee girl.

Perfect. Just perfect, I grumbled.

Anastasia was closest to me and as she passed, her robe blew the smell of her perfume in my face. Or maybe strawberry and vanilla was just her natural scent.

The smell had filled my nose once before, when my lips were against hers in the Astronomy Tower. She had moved her mouth gently and I wonder if, being royalty especially, she had ever kissed anyone before. The thought hadn't crossed my mind previously.

They continued down the hall without noticing me, but I stood from my spot and followed them. The girl's dark hair, tied up with a blue ribbon, swayed as she sauntered through the castle and I was less afraid of what I was about to do.

I breathed in, I breathed out, I opened my mouth, and I spoke. "Granger."

She whipped her head around upon hearing my voice, "what the hell do you-"

"I'm sorry."

"W-what? You-" she stammered.

"I'm sorry for saying what I said to you the other day. I shouldn't have. It was unkind." It was short and to the point, but it was the best she was gonna get. I actually shouldn't have said what I did. I usually was a bully because it made my friends laugh. I guess being mean can become a nasty habit.

She scrunched her face, "I- I- are you being genuine?"

I nodded.

"Well... thanks."

There was a look of confusion plastered across all of their faces, except the princess. The rest of them turned around to go wherever they were headed and gossip about me, but Anastasia's gaze lingered for a moment.

I raised my eyebrows, asking if this was enough for her, and she smiled and nodded her head.

Once she wasn't looking, I punched the air excitedly and skipped a bit before jogging back to what I was doing. The thought of her still overwhelmed my mind, but it didn't hurt anymore. Soon enough I would be with her. I would smile with her and dance with her and maybe I could sneak in another kiss.

The infinite scenarios played and replayed.

I knew she was rich, but giving expensive gifts was what I did best, so I wrote to my father and told him I wanted a custom-made dress for my date to the Yule Ball; he didn't have to know who she was.

I sat on my bed and with my ink I described every intricate detail. The eagle-owl took it from my hand and flew off in the direction of the manor.