Chapter 27

Draco's POV

I was staying at my family's manor but the halls were constantly packed to the brim with corrupt witches and wizards.

I didn't so much miss Anastasia. I couldn't. Or maybe I was telling myself that. I wasn't sure anymore. I just felt like a powerless child again. As if I'd never even attended Hogwarts.

The other day, we sat around the dining table, everyone including the dark lord, and I watched my former teacher die right on the table in front of me. I had just sat and watched.

Previously, it felt like I was an outsider, just getting things done to get through, but not actually being on their side. Now I was a part of their team, I think. It could be because I had something to try for back at Hogwarts. But I still did. I still had a mini-me on the way, didn't I? It was hard to feel like that was ever real.

"DRACO!" My father's voice beckoned from downstairs.

I left my room and went to where he was. I froze when I saw he-who-shall-not-be-named standing in the middle of my living room, waiting specifically for me.

"Hello, littlest Malfoy," he opened his dry mouth and smiled with rotting teeth. "We have some work picked out just for you."

I just stood there, waiting for him to continue. He shooed my parents out of the room and then refocused on me.

"You see, young Harry Potter is working on taking the items in which I have hidden important magic."

"What sort of magic?"

"Now that is not for you to know. What I need from you is to move them around and cast concealing spells on them and such. Make it an impossible puzzle to solve. Whatever you do, you are not to let him find these items. Here is a list of what they are and where they are." He shoved a crumpled piece of paper into my hand and closed my fingers in a fist over it. "The rest is yours to sort out. I trust you will not fail, or you know the consequences."

And then he was gone.

Anastasia's POV

I let my head hit the wall repeatedly. It had been over a month in this prison. To be fair, it wasn't as if it was unfurnished. I had my own bed and the whole space was decorated beautifully. But that didn't matter much when I was locked in it against my will.

And I had no knowledge of the state of the war or how anyone I loved was doing.

It felt like no time had passed at all. Everything was constant. Every day was the same. I never thought I'd be held captive in my own palace.

There were only two categories of thoughts to pass the time: imagining all of the different ways that my loved ones could have died horrific deaths or imagining how the future could be when we got out of this mess.

With a human being growing inside of me, the isolation wasn't completely non-educational. For example, I learned that at four and a half months babies start swimming around a bit. I wasn't entirely alone here and my little one liked to remind me.

"Having fun in there, darling?" I rubbed my stomach. "I can't wait for your father to feel you moving around. He was excited enough when you made my tummy stick out. 'Ah! It's growing! It's growing! Look, Anastasia, it's growing!' Maybe you were already listening."

Soft thumps and flutters where my hand was made me feel as though I was getting a response.

"Yeah, we'll see him again soon."

Just then, I jumped at the door cracking open.

I couldn't think of what possible reason it could be opening for. I didn't have any sort of meal for another few hours.

"Annie?" A familiar dirty blonde poked her head through.

"Lucy!"

She waved me over to her. "Come on, we're getting out of here. Hurry!"