Chapter 31

Anastasia's POV

The darkness flickered in my vision and a stiff infirmary mattress supported me, but it slanted a smidge at the weight of another person.

"Hey, Lucy," a weak smile made its way across my mouth.

"Hey, Annie. How ya feelin'?" She reached out and wiped a tear from my cheek.

"I'm in a lot of pain. Bellatrix used the Cruciatus Curse on me... and... wait..." I suddenly realized there was another feeling. Wet and sticky on my legs. I tore the blanket back and saw deep red, clotted blood dripping from my body. "No... no, no, no." A hand settled on my shoulder, but this time I jumped. "You're not here. I watched you die."

"Bereavement hallucinations. You know that, Annie. You just miss me an awful lot already and your brilliant mind is trying to help."

"But you're dead... You're dead. You shouldn't be dead. We shouldn't be fighting a WAR, we're just kids! We're KIDS. Lucy...." my voice cracked and I realized I was talking to myself. No humans in front of me and no humans inside of me. "My baby," I clutched my stomach and I wanted to scream but my throat stung as if someone had reached down my throat and ripped my vocal chords.

Footsteps faded in from down the hall. "Sounds like someone's coming to see you," Lucy whispered.

"No-" but she was gone.

The door slid open, but I didn't look up. Maybe it'd be Bellatrix here to cast the Killing Curse after all. But then a voice spoke, "hey, Midnight."

"Are you real?" I turned my head in his direction.

"Real? Of course I'm real. Have you been seeing things that aren't?"

I looked away. "It's been a long time since I've seen you. I didn't leave you, you know."

"Yeah, I know. I realized pretty quickly that you wouldn't have done that to me."

"They locked me in the palace."

"Like Rapunzel. Are you angry with me?" He stepped forward.

"Angry with you? Why would I be?"

"I'm a death eater. I killed Dumbledore. I let you be tortured. Hell, you don't even know what's real." His voice wavered.

"I'm not angry. I know who you really are."

"You barely know me at all."

"No," I whipped around, "I know all of you. Every single bit."

Draco shook his head.

"I know that you feel everything ten times what anyone else does. A hundred maybe. I know that your favorite color is yellow, just like the sun in the corner of a child's painting, but you tell people it's green because even sharing your real favorite color is far too vulnerable for Draco Malfoy. I know that your favorite memory is standing in the rain with me, because it's when you first knew you were in love. Before that, you couldn't summon your patronus. All we had to do was stand in the rain. I know that when you have a girlfriend, you hug her to your chest as tightly as you can and it's not just for her," my tone broke as he watched me speak. "Even though you would curse every creature on Earth to save her, you hold her tightly because you're afraid to be alone. You know that if you let go, you may never be allowed to hold her again. You are the most intensely loving boy and the world has made you feel that the only way to survive is to hate it all."

His eyes were tired. His whole body was. Usually, we would lay down together. We would sleep and know that tomorrow would be a new day. But nowadays we realized that new days never seemed to be better ones.

Draco's POV

We watched each other. I knew her too. At least, I used to. I had been gone too long and the demons were inside now.

Nobody was supposed to know me though. I'd done so well with that for so long.

"And the baby?" I asked finally.

She paused and then shook her head so slightly as if more movement would also make it more real.

It was better when nobody knew me. Nothing ever worked out when you gave your heart to it. Anastasia had told me that evil people didn't hurt. That was what I wanted to be. As long as I hurt, I'm good. That gave me comfort at the time. But the dark truth to that is that as long as I'm good, I hurt.

"Then you're of no use to me, are you?" I pushed the door open.

"Draco," she breathed sadly. "Please don't leave me alone."

I stepped outside and the door clicked shut.