Chapter 11

Anastasia's POV

We'd had two or three study sessions and this time Draco brought ingredients so that we could start making real potions.

I stood at the table and stared quizzically at everything as he placed them down. "Gross! What is that?" He slapped a slimy, pink, worm-looking blob right at the fingertips of my hands which were resting on the table.

"Frog's tongue," he answered plainly. "Okay now what is the first ingredient of the Wiggenweld Potion?"

I bit my lip until I caught sight of Wiggentree bark, held it up to him and grinned proudly. His lips turned up at my excitement for a second.

"Yeah," he nodded.

I plopped it into the bowl. "Aren't you proud of me?"

"Nah, that one was too easy."

"Hey, it was your question," I pretended to pout while I searched for the next ingredient.

"Not the whole thing," he grabbed my arm just before I dropped a branch of Dittany into the potion. "Do you want to blow up? Just one leaf."

"Oh," I blushed, "I knew that."

He chuckled, "I'm sure you did."

We both giggled a bit and I glanced over to his eyes. They were gray and filled with kindness. Even after he cleared his throat and looked away, I could see him through them more clearly now.

A few minutes later, I poured another ingredient into the boiling potion, but as the liquids collided, fire sparked from it and I clutched my hand quickly. When I removed my other hand from the burn, there was a blister forming.

"Ugh, I'll get a first-aid kit," Draco jogged out of the room.

Tears began to form, which, as he returned, embarrassed me quite a lot and I think this clouded not only my vision, but also my judgement. My face heated up.

Draco grabbed my wrist and pulled my hand towards him. He opened the kit filled with bandages and ointments. He pulled a small tube out and began to apply it to the bubbling red spot.

"OW!" I tried to yank my hand from him but he tightened his grip.

"Calm down!"

"It hurts," I grimaced.

"Well, maybe if you hadn't put the wrong ingredient in-"

"Maybe if you were a better teacher then it wouldn't have happened!"

"The princess is angry?" He raised his eyebrows at me.

"The princess is annoyed. And besides! Can't you heal it magically?"

"I... did," he opened my palm with his fingers to show unharmed skin.

"Well- I- why couldn't you just poof it with your wand or something?"

"It's a magical burn! I don't know how to heal that yet!"

"W-well- y- you-" I grumbled in frustration. Anger wasn't a good look on me. "That shouldn't have happened! You were standing right there! I mean your job is to make sure I don't do something stupid and you're suppose t-"

I was interrupted by a hand on my cheek as his lips collided with mine roughly.

My breath caught in my throat and for a second I felt like I was suffocating but then I remembered how to breathe. As I exhaled, my rage seemed to melt into him, as if he had loaned it to me for a few minutes and it was now returning to its home.

Draco's POV

"W-well-y-you-" She was sort of cute when she was vexed. "That shouldn't have happened! You were standing right there!" I studied her face just as I had felt her do to me before at the tree. Her mouth continued to move and I was fairly certain she was just saying words for the purpose of saying them at this point. "I mean your job is to make sure I don't do something stupid and you're suppose t-"

I grabbed her face and leaned in. She froze for a second and then I felt her press back into me. As she did so, I began to wake up from my trance. What are you doing, Draco?! I began to scold myself and pulled away quickly.

She pressed her lips together as if to suppress her joy. "Liar."

I squinted at her puzzledly.

"You are hopelessly in love with me."

"You wouldn't shut up, so I did it myself."

"Mhmm," she teased, but I was done being nice.

"You say this like I haven't kissed a million other girls," I rolled my eyes and walked back around the table of ingredients.

"You haven't," she slid closer to me and put her face inches from mine. "But if that's true and it really meant nothing then you wouldn't mind doing it again."

I moved even closer, so our eyelashes nearly touched. The temptation to listen to her, to kiss her again and prove that it meant nothing, pleaded within my brain, but I was afraid that maybe she was right. She watched me expectantly and I said, "I think we're done for the day," packing up my things and exiting the room. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her, cheeks hot, reach up and touch her lips with her fingers.

***

"Oi where have you been?" Crabbe and Goyle smacked each other on the chest as I walked into the common room. "You've been out the past few nights."

"Tutoring," I sat next to them.

"Tutoring? What sorry bloke got you for a tutor?" Crabbe laughed.

"Anastasia."

"On a first name basis with the princess? I know she's a mudblood and all, but I'd still love to shag her," Goyle remarked.

I shot daggers into him with my glare and spat, "shut up, you idiot. As if she'd ever screw you."

"Well, I wasn't planning on asking. Why do you care so much, Malfoy?"

I realized how defensive I'd gotten and all of my worst nightmares were coming true. She wasn't right. There's no way she was right. I'm Draco Malfoy. I'm not soft about a kiss. I'm not soft about anything. But my hatred for Goyle overwhelmed my thoughts until I remembered that they were both waiting for a response. "Because," I crossed my arms, "I'm already on it."

"Alright, man," the two high-fived each other. "I thought you weren't gonna mess with her because of her parents."

"I changed my mind. If anyone needs a reality check, it's that princess. She's nothing more than a shag and I'll remind her of that." My heart sank as I said it. It shouldn't have. But it did. And I wasn't quite sure what to do about it.