𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

EP 8: Rules of Thumb

_____________

Haerin's

8:13 pm

My phone rang as i walked outside the bathroom. I just finished washing myself up and is going to sleep already. Just who is this who dare to call me?

I looked at my phone that was located on the bedside table. It was an unregistered number.

Should i answer or not? It might just be a troll or something....

Ahh nevermind.

I took my phone and tapped the answer button.

"Who is this?"
I received nothing but silence from the other side of the call. It seems like it;s really a troll.

"If you will not speak after five seconds I'll hung up."
I warned him and counted five seconds.

5

4

3

2

"Wait."
A rather calm voice of a male answered the phone.

This voice seems to be familiar.

"Jake?"

"meet me at the park right now. I need to talk to you."

I was stunned. Never expected him to call this late.

"What is this about? i have plenty things to do."
I have none, honestly. but i just want to sleep.

"If you're too curious to find what it is about, then you should come."
He said and hung up the call.

cunning.

i wonder if it is about earlier.

I quickly blowdried my hair and fixed it on a bun and took some sweater before going outside. It's already October and is freezing outside. I don't wanna die with hypothermia

_______

"So what is it?"
I sat on the bench the moment i arrived on the park where he saw me and layla

he glanced at my direction. He's eating ice cream while waiting. I want some.

"Here."
he gave me an envelope. I took it and looked at him.

"what is this?"

"An envelope obviously."

I clicked my tongue.

"open it if you wanna know."
He said, scooping on his mother is an alien flavoured ice cream from baskin robbins.

I opened the envelope just like what he said.

"why are you bringing this up again?"
I asked him, sliding the marriage contract inside the folder once again after i saw it.

"I just wanna say that i want to quit this matchmaking my father did. Can you give that to him again and concede defeat?"
He told me while keeping his straight face.

He's shameless. Too shameless.

"you see Mr. Shim,"
I sat nearer from him.

"This marriage, It's something Chairman Shim and I have agreed upon, with both of our families and group's interests taken into account and thus, I assumed you were of the same opinion."
i looked at him as he calmly eat his ice cream.

"It was my mistake and i apologize."
he was taken aback. I saw him stopped from scooping ice cream.

"You'd gain nothing from me other than trouble."
he stood up.

"Like i told you before, I have nothing to do with my dad's company."
He said, giving me a bag of what he's eating earlier..

"And i don't plan to get involved any way in the future."

i glanced at the ice cream and then looked at him.

"As his son, You are already a huge part of it all."
he took my hand and forcefully gave me the ice cream.

"But yes, frankly, What you do or decide to pursue is of little consequence."

As long as you yield good results, that is.

"Strengthening ties is the main purpose afterall."
i stood up from my seat and looked at him with my piercing gaze.

he scoffed.

"So basically, you two have deals that doesn't involve me in the equation?"

he was annoyed. You can clearly see on his face that he was offended. poor him.

"that's not entirely correct. Personal lives aside, strength of character is still important."
I smirked at him as he can't get what i mean.

"My position is still unstable. So i wouldn't want any extra baggage but well, With a tongue as sharp as yours, you'd be fine."

he glared at me. a more annoyed one.

"Unstable huh? So, you mean he's backing you up?"

"not particularly. This is a business deal. It's a mutual benefit for the both of the sides. It's called partnership."
he scoffed once again.

"You're not even denying it. That's just despicable."

"I'm just being brutally honest with you so that you won't misunderstood me. "
I glared at him.

"there always has to be a clear line between the two of us."

"It's either you're a convenient allies."he looked at me with much more intensity. "or enemies."

"Rule of Thumb."
I smiled at his reaction.

"for people like us, that's the norm, isn't it?"

he was impressed. you can see it even tho he kept a straight face all the time while i was speaking, he never yawn or looked away just like the last time. meaning, he was actually either impressed or just expecting everything i had said.

"Ms. Cha..."
He called my name. I raised an eyebrow.

"Are you happy?"

________________

here's an update. sorry i didn't updated yesterday ksksksks I am watching MOTS: ON:E that's why~