19. Bianca?

_______________________________________

.

.

.

An year later...

"Were you pressurized into taking this case?"

"Do you think this criminal could be let off?"

River turned the TV off, rolling her eyes at the stupid questions that there being hurled at her criminal lawyer of a mother. She thought back to the times her mom was living a peaceful life. It was all gone now with this controversial case she had taken.

"Man, it's a struggle!" River sighed as she threw her head back, resting it on the headrest of the couch as she inhaled the aroma of the smoked salmon was being cooked by her lawyer mom. She had a bowl of cereal in her hand, though it was eleven in the morning. And it was her fifth bowl of the day.

"I know right! Your mom moved me here because they are camping outside the house." Lilith Johnson said, munching on her own cereal.

"Riv, will you be around for lunch?" Susan asked, drying her hands on the checkered apron as she walked over to the couch, where her daughter and mother-in-law sat.

Susan had taken up a very risky case. And the guy she was defending was sketchy as well. But she believed he was innocent and she meant to get him acquitted.

"Hopefully. I don't like missing out on your smoked salmon." She replied.

The perks of having the mom around.

Susan let out a chuckle before making her way to the guest room she was staying at.

"Call Sebby and ask if he can join us for lunch. It's been a while since I saw that mug-face." She turned at the door.

"He has this plan to submit next week and Mia has a throat infection. He is not coming." River said, not taking my eyes of my TV.

Of course, she had called my best friend.

He was a sucker for smoked salmon just like her, and he had the declined the invite quite regretfully.

The poor boy was working from home while taking care of their little baby so that Alison can live out her dream. She was PA to the CEO of Rhodes Industries now. Her dream was to be the CEO.

Those two took #couplegoals to the next level. River had to constantly remind myself to not be envious.

"Alright." Her mom said as she closed the door behind her.

The kids were at school and River's grandmother was staying with them since the last week. Susan only came now and then when she needed a break from the media.

"Sebby's calling." Mrs. Marley said as she walked over to River, handing her the phone before settling down on the couch, taking River's cereal bowl from her hand.

"Yes my dumbass?" She took the call and leaned her head against her darling housekeeper's shoulder.

"Why are you such an ungrateful bitch?" He said in a hushed voice.

"Oh I don't know, maybe because I didn't have a good upbringing considering I spent more time with you growing up than with sensible people."

"Remember when I took care of you drunk-calling your crush in college?"

"Remember me prank-calling the police to save your ass from that brawl outside the club?"

"Remember how I took care of you when you were pregnant?"

"Remember how I let you freeload in my apartment for some four years?"

"Ugh- Just bring over some food you booger brain!"

"What's the magic words you little pee-pee?"

He groaned.

"Show some mercy, my queen."

River smiled smugly. "Alrighty."

"You are such a child!"

"Not everyone's senile in the head."

"Ugh!"

River laughed as she hung up and kept the phone down on the coffee table.

"Pack some for that idiot. I need to drop it off on my way to work." She requested Mrs. Marley who nodded with a small smile on her face. Sebastian and River had such a great relationship, being the children of two best friends and growing up together. They were close more so because both were single child to their parents and they were both like siblings. "I am going to go get ready so I can leave after lunch."

Mrs. Marley and Lilith nodded and she left the two ladies to eat the cereal. Going into her room, she quickly packed her duffel bag in which she kept spare clothes and some essentials just in case her shift got extended due to more emergencies. Being an orthopedic surgeon was tough work because there was no shortage of accidents in New York city and seven out of ten times, bones were broken in ways only specialists could fix. Yay!

River decided on a long bath. Taking off her clothes, she sighed.

Another one bites the dust. She sighed, looking at her soiled panties.

Bitchy Aunt Flo was here. This was going to be one long shift.

.

.

River filled a paper cup with hot steaming water and sat down on the chair in the empty waiting area. She pressed the cup onto lower abdomen, sighing in content.

Oh, the joys of womanhood!

"There you are!"

She didn't open my eyes as she heard Jacqueline's rubber sandals squeak against the pale white tiles.

"What up?" River asked, as her best friend sat down next to her.

"That bitch, what's her name?"

"Bianca?"

"Yeah her!"

River chuckled. If there was one person who could rile Jacqueline Meyers up, it was that wretched nurse.

"What did she do now?" She asked.

"She was feeling up Dr. Kyler."

"That new hottie who transferred from Edmond's?" River instantly opened her eyes. Man, that man was hawt!

"Jesus, not you too!" Jacqueline groaned while River grinned.

"I am stating a fact here." I shrugged. "Anyway, continue."

"And I had approached him because I wanted his signature on one of his patient's prescription."

"Hmm."

"And that bitch is like, 'Whoa Jackie, why do you look like you have been sucking faces with a hyena?' "

"Where does she even come up with these analogues?" River raised her brow, sitting up straight before she started punching her back.

"I know right! She's just.. Ugh!" Jacqueline said, massaging her best friend's back. "Last time it was, 'you smell like Mrs. Kalney's barf'."

"One time she told me that my hair smelled like poop and peanut butter or something." River said, remembering last year's incident. And those caramel eyes. Yeah, a certain Italian still lingered in her brain.

"What?" She looked intrigued and almost devilish. "What did you say?"

"I guess how you know what that smells like is a question for another time. Something like that."

Jacqueline burst out laughing, punching her back harder than necessary.

The duo laughed and joked like how they were back in college. It was the only way they knew how to survive

.

.

.

_________________________________