5 : divorce

j u l e s

I turn around, shaking my head as I look to the ground, my eyes focused on the black heels I'm wearing.

"Jules, what is going on?" Derek asks.

I look up slowly, my eyes meeting his.

"I just..." The words barely escape my mouth as thoughts fill my mind.

*flashback*

My dance with Luke is suddenly interrupted by Rossi tapping my shoulder.

"I'm gonna get him home." He says, pulling me aside as I glance over to my drunken father, who's standing beside him.

"What's wrong with him?" I ask.

"I'll let him tell you." Rossi says, taking a few steps back.

"Y'know, I'm proud of you." My dad says, running his hand along my cheek, the smell of beer escaping with his words.

"You're drunk." I state, a bit of annoyance in my voice.

Hotch nods slowly, a slight smirk on his face as he glances over at Emily.

"What the hell are you doing?" I ask, my heart pinching itself slowly.

"I'm just being friendly." He says, a chuckle escaping his lips.

"What about Mom?" I ask, anger filling my tone.

"What about her? She left." He says, shaking his head.

"What do you mean she left?" I ask, a frown escaping onto my lips.

Hotch shakes his head, "She gave me an ultimatum - the team and my work or her. I chose the team and my work, obviously, and so she packed up some of her shit and walked out on me." He explains.

"Mom just left you?" I ask, choking on my own words.

"Yep." He nods, "She just walked right out the door, didn't even bother to stay and talk. The even funnier thing is, she even handed me divorce papers before leaving." He chuckles.

"Divorce papers?" I ask, sadness growing in my tone as Hotch nods.

Tears spring in the corner of my eyes as disbelief fills my mind, "Wh- When did you plan on telling me?" I ask.

He shakes his head, "I couldn't tell you. Especially not while working the case, you'd drive yourself insane."

"You should've told me." I say as he begins to throw up.

Rossi pulls his arm, "I'm sorry Annie, I really have to get him home." He says.

I nod, a frown springing onto my lips as I watch Rossi drag him out of the bar, making him stumble a few times.

*present day*

I push my back against the wall, tilting my head back as I try to hold back the tears.

"Jules? Jules, are you okay?" Derek asks again.

"I-" I manage to say before sliding down, my head falling into my chest as my arms grasp around my legs.

"Jules, what is going on?" He asks.

"My mom and my dad..." I say, the thought of them getting divorced crushing my heart.

"What about Hotch and Haley?" Derek asks, his tone lowering as he sits beside me.

I glance up at him, "They're getting divorced. They're over..." I say, shaking my head in disbelief.

"It's gonna be okay." Derek says in a reassuring tone, his eyes meeting mine.

My heart starts thumping out of my chest, beating rapidly. I inhale and nod, exhaling sharply. I hold his gaze, his longing brown eyes meeting mine.