8 : history

d e r e k .

"So yeah, that was my dad." I say, wrapping my arm around Jules' as we walk uphill, heading back to the car.

"Are you okay?" She asks as she looks up at me, her eyes longing like a lost puppy.

I stop in my tracks, grasping her wrist and spinning her around to face me. I pull her in close, our bodies less than two inches away from each other.

"I'm okay." I say, cupping my hands around her cheeks, running my finger up and down.

"Promise?" She asks, blushing a bit.

"Pinky Promise." I state, wrapping my pinky finger around hers as he continue walking.

"Where are we going now?" She asks, looking down at her phone.

"I was thinking you and I could go out to eat." I inform her, opening the car door for her.

She nods in agreement as she slips in the car.

"Where would we go out to eat?" She asks as I climb into the car.

"Anywhere." I chuckle as I start the car, pointing out a few places we could eat as we drive down the road.

She turns in her seat to face me, a blushed smile dancing onto her lips.

"What?" I ask, my face turning slightly red as she faces me.

"You pick." She says with a slight smile.

"Okay." I mumble, nodding slightly as we drive down the road.

•••

A few minutes pass before the car pulls into a parking lot in front of a small diner.

"C'mon." I say with a bright smile before hopping out of the car and running to Jules' side.

I open the car quickly, grasping her hand and pulling her out carefully.

"What is this place?" She asks, giggling softly.

"Well kid, since you asked... this is my favorite place in the entire world." I explain, a bright smile crawling onto my face as my fingers lace themselves with hers.

"What's so special about it?" She asks as we walk in through the glossy double doors.

"Everything." I state breathlessly, looking around the diner as I walk behind a small table and grab a menu, tightly grasping her hand to have her follow me.

"Shouldn't we wait for a waiter?" She asks, giggling breathlessly as I look around.

"Oh, no need to wait for a waiter... I do this every time I'm here." I chuckle.

I walk over to the diner bar, rapidly tapping on the counter before hitting the bell.

"D-DAWG has arrived!" I exclaim as people in the kitchen cheer.

"D-Dawg?" She asks, giggling at the ridiculous nickname I just called myself.

I chuckle, "Yeah. It's ridiculous, but I'll explain later." I state as I turn back towards the diner bar, looking into the kitchen.

"Hi Derek! It's good to see you again! What can I get started for you?" A familiar brunette asks.

"Hey Shelly." I say, a cocky grin on my face.

Shelly, known as Ellie to other people, is my childhood bestfriend.

Shelly giggles, "You're still calling me that? Y'know we aren't five years old anymore, right?" She asks.