23 : anesthesia.

j u l e s .

I get wheeled into the O.R., Dr. Montgomery smiling at me softly.

"Alright everybody, it's a beautiful day to save lives - let's save two beautiful lives right here, right now." Dr. Shepherd announces as the scrub nurses cheer and clap.

A butterfly feeling appears in my stomach as I look around.

Dr. Montgomery takes her hand into mine, smiling softly, "Are you ready?" She asks.

I nod slightly, lying back as the hospital bed lowers.

"I need to turn your head so I can get to the sight of the damaged nerves." Dr. Shepherd states, turning my head slowly.

My body trembles as I look up into the O.R. gallery, seeing a couple of familiar faces.

"Derek..." I mumble, focusing on Derek's face in the O.R. gallery.

Dr. Montgomery squeezes my hand a bit, "I let him sit up there with Dr. Kepner to watch the surgery. We would have him sit down here, but your brain cavity will be open and it would be dangerous." She explains as I nod in understanding.

The anesthesiologist stands over me, "Take a deep breath and count down from ten for me." He states, placing an oxygen mask over my face.

I nod slightly, "...10...9...8...7...6..." I count down out loud, turning to face up towards the O.R. gallery.

...5...4...3...2...1...

Derek gives me a soft smile, blowing me a kiss before my eyes flutter shut, everything turning white.

•••

d e r e k .

I walk back into the gallery, two coffees in my hand.

"Is she okay?" I ask, handing Dr. Kepner one of the coffees.

Dr. Kepner nods, "Her pulse is a bit thready, but she's pulling through." She explains.

I nod, turning towards the gallery window. I look at Jules - her facial expression calm. It's like she's there, but she's not actually there. Her face twitches a bit.

"Was her face supposed to twitch?" I ask.

Dr. Kepner looks up at me, "What?" She asks.

I glance back at her, "Jules' face. It twitched. Was that supposed to happen?" I ask.

She jumps out of her seat, looking out the gallery window.

Jules eyes flutter open as she glances around. Her eyes turn red-rimmed, water filling up. She's crying from fear. Oh my God.

•••

j u l e s .

My face twitches as I get the sensation that I need to wake up. It feels as though Derek is running his thumb along my cheek. I try to move my hands - I can't.

Why the hell can't I move my hands? What is going on?

My eyes flutter open, bright lights shining in my eyes. I flinch at the bright lights, the brightness hurting my eyes a bit. I glance around, scared. I try to move my hands again. Nothing. Am I gonna die?

I glance around the room, noticing I'm still in the middle of surgery. What the hell?

I glance up at the O.R. Gallery, Derek's eyes meeting mine - he notices me, a worried facial expression coming across his face. He turns to Dr. Kepner quickly as she jumps out of her seat.

Dr. Kepner hits the mic button as a worried facial expression creeps onto her face, "Uh- Dr. Shepherd!" She calls out, her voice echoing through the O.R.

"What is it Kepner?" A familiar male voice asks from behind me.

"Your patient!" She exclaims breathlessly.

I try turning my head, a sudden ounce of pain rushing through my body.

Dr. Shepherd jolts, "Damn it. Her anesthesia wore off. What the hell is going on? Why is the anesthesia so weak?" He yells at the anesthesiologist.

The anesthesiologist doesn't answer.

Dr. Shepherd scoffs, "Dr. Scott, why is the anesthesia so weak? Dr. Scott!" He exclaims.

A scrub nurse shakes Dr. Scout, who's eyes suddenly flutter open.

"What? Oh uh-" Dr. Scott mutters, flustered.

He fell asleep during Surgery.

Dr. Scott steps closer to me, he reeks of alcohol. I gag in disgust, my body trembles. Dr. Scott basically trips over himself as he stumbles to the anesthesia.

"Dr. Scott, are you drunk?" Dr. Shepherd asks.

Dr. Scott scoffs, "What kind of accusation is that!?" He exclaims defensively.

Dr. Shepherd clenches his jaw, "Dr. Scott, are you drunk?" He asks again, his tone low and stern the second time around.

Dr. Scott ignores Dr. Shepherd as he scrambles to get the anesthesia working.

Today is going to be the day I die. I think to myself, tears flowing down my cheeks.

I glance up at the O.R. gallery, noticing Derek, pushing past Dr. Kepner.

His hand slams onto the mic button, the static echoing through the O.R.

"Jules, look at me. Right at me." He states as I glance up, keeping my gaze on him.

His eyes meet mine, focusing on me. I calm down at his gaze, his beady eyes looking at me, trying not to panic.

He clears his throat, "Jules, you're gonna be okay. We need you to stay still so the probes that Dr. Shepherd has don't shift - you're in a dangerous situation, but you're going to pull through. Both you and the baby will. The baby has been strong so far, so I need you to hold on for me as well. Okay? They're going to put you on anesthesia and every thing will be okay. Okay?" He explains, his gaze holding mine.

I try to nod, but it doesn't work, because my head is held in place.

"I love you." He states as a tear rolls down my cheek.

God, what I would do to say it back right now.

Derek turns off the mic button, leaning against the O.R. gallery window, watching as the doctors and nurses scramble around to fix the mess the anesthesiologist caused.

Dr. Montgomery approaches me with a soft smile, "Jules, we're gonna put you back under now. Okay? Hang in there for us." She states, giving my hand a slight squeeze before walking away to go check the fetal monitor again.

I look up at the O.R. gallery, glancing up at Derek, his beady eyes meeting mine. He blows me a small kiss as I smile softly, another tear rolling down my cheek.

He didn't deserve this to happen to him. I think to myself as my eyes flutter shut.
------------------------------------------------------------------

author's note:
hi my fine furry friends! i'm so sorry that it has taken me so long to update, i have been so busy! here is the new chapter! expect another update later today and a regular update schedule from now on! also, holy shit! thank you all so much for 1.35k reads! i am so beyond grateful for all the love and support you all have given me in this last month. i love you all so much from the bottom of my heart! <3

------------------------------------------------------------------