The Patronus Charm

"What's going on Moony" Harry asked his surrogate uncle.

After Harry got released from the hospital wing, he had quickly started gathering information on Pettigrew. The only issue was that the Ministry was very tight-lipped on it. Seeing as Lupin and Pettigrew used to be friends, Harry decided that he would be an excellent source of information.

"I only know what Dumbledore told us and that isn't much" Lupin told him "The Ministry never found Pettigrew when Sirius was declared innocent since the evidence for his innocence wasn't related to Pettigrew. They did try searching for him but it never amounted to anything. After a year, he was declared dead and everyone stopped caring. Now, the ministry is worried about him going after you and as such, placed dementors here."

"Why couldn't they place aurors" Harry asked "The dementors could hurt us."

"Fudge said that the dementors are under Ministry control and wouldn't hurt a fly" Lupin snorted "No one could change the man's mind."

This got Harry angry "So what, they're going to let the dementors run all over us? This is ridiculous!"

"Easy there pup" Lupin said "I can help. Have you heard of the Patronus charm?"

Harry shook his head so Lupin continued "It helps combat dementors. I'm willing to teach it to you during Christmas break. I have too much work to teach it right now"

This caused Harry's face to grow a happy grin "Really? Thanks Moony!"

"My pleasure pup."

The days seemed slower than usual until Christmas. Harry was anxious to learn the charm and spent time reading many a book describing the charm until he had it ingrained in his brain. So when Christmas break rolled around, Harry was more excited than he had ever been. Rishi noticed when Harry skipped down from the train "Damn, you seem happy."

Harry rolled his eyes "You know why. Now come on."

Rishi held up his hands in surrender "Okay, okay."

They came over to the Gopals, who apparated them back. When they got back, Harry quickly dumped his stuff off and began waiting for Lupin and Sirius to come. He got so bored, he was even willing to play Rishi in chess, a game which Rishi was much better than Harry in. Seeing his friend's excitement, Rishi decided to tease him a bit "How long do you think it'll take you to learn it?"

Harry thought about this "Lupin decided on 1 session per day so my core doesn't get tired out. Since break is about 14 days long, I'd say take me the entire time if not more."

Rishi shrugged "I could learn it before you."

Harry's eyes left the board and looked at Rishi "Would you like to bet?"

"What are the terms" Rishi couldn't resist a bet. He found them fun.

"If you manage to cast a incorporeal patronus before me, I'll fake propose to Ron Weasley" Harry grinned "If I win, you tell your parents that you're dating Parvati."

Rishi's eyes widened. His mom was a big matchmaker. Rishi shuddered, thinking about what his mom would do if he told her. Then, he thought about Harry proposing to Ron. The guy was a bigot and heavily prejudiced like his mother. That could extends to gay people as well. After weighing his options, Rishi decided "Why the hell not? I'm in."

The two friends shook hands, agreeing to the bet. And both prayed that they wouldn't lose.

"Are you two ready?" Lupin told the two of them. He was surprised when Harry asked if Rishi could join. But, once he thought about it, teaching Rishi was a good idea. Rishi was almost always with Harry so if Harry was unable to cast, it would be good for there to be someone else to help. Plus, there was the bet and as a former Marauder, Lupin found it hillarious.