Losses

Harry felt his knees threaten to stop supporting his weight as he look at Mr Gopal's body. He heard his body beg to collapse, to do nothing as it processed this development in the war.

In his mind, memories flashed through his mind. And as strong as his occlumency was, the pain was stronger. He felt the memories overcome his barriers and take over his mind.

Uncle Vernon's veins began bulging "You little FREAK! You'll pay for..." He then opened and closed his mouth, unable to speak.

Mr. Gopal smiled "Now that he shut up, let's talk business. We want you guys to sign over custody of Harry."

Preparing a rebuttal, Petunia began to speak but was interrupted by Mr. Gopal saying "If you don't, we'll tell OUR police about Harry's abuse. Don't forget, they can view his memories and make you tell the truth."

Rishi and Harry headed outside, not before Rishi bought Harry a few books about potions, charms and transfiguration.

Mr. Gopal smiled when he saw them "I figured you guys would buy something. I just never thought it'd be books."

"Harry, what is that" Mrs Gopal asked as Dorea sat on Harry's shoulder.

"I got a snake" Harry grinned "She's a basilisk. Her mother died and asked me to care for her child. Being the nice guy that I am, I agreed."

"Harry, of all the crazy things" Mrs Gopal began before Mr Gopal said "A snake! That's great!"

Mrs Gopal turned to her husband with shock "Are you serious? He brought a snake home!"

"Yeah" Mr Gopal said "I was feeling a bit outnumbered as the only Slytherin in a home of 'Claws. Now, I got a snake pal with me!"

"Please tell me you're joking" Mrs Gopal begged.

"Nope" Mr Gopal chuckled "Just make sure she doesn't go anywhere she shouldn't or terrorize my wife. I don't think either of us want that."

Harry nodded as the former Slytherin bent down to look at the snake and asked "What's her name?"

"Dorea" Harry answered.

"Hi Dorea" Mr Gopal began petting her, which lead to her wrapping herself around his arm "I think we'll be very good friends."

Harry was in his early days with the Gopals. He was lying on his bed, tears streaking down his face. Mr Gopal then cracked the door open and put his head through "May I come in, Harry?"

He nodded so his guardian walked inside. Harry then changed to a normal position to make room for him, which Mr Gopal took.

Nothing was said between the two for a few minutes until the Indian man asked "You want to talk about it?"

Harry sniffled "No."

Mr Gopal nodded "Okay. Just know, whenever you need me, I'll be there."

He then got up to leave until Harry said "Why did you take me in?"

"What?"

"Why did you guys take me in?" Harry asked again, tears ready to be released "I'm just a freak like they said. Nobody wants a freak."

Mr Gopal turned around and went back to the bed, where he began speaking softly "Harry, you are not a freak."

Harry was ready to protest that statement but his new guardian continued "We are all unique in some way. You are blessed with magic, and have the potential to be quite powerful. You are not a freak."