Chapter 64

"Yes, Sungchan?"

"She's safe with them now, miss Yeji."

The girl smiled and drank her water on the plane, looking in the window. Her fingers placed itself on the window as she looked down on it.

"Good then. I'll have to go now."

The girl hid her phone quickly and drank her water once again as the man sat beside her, stroking her hand. Her uncomfortable shift made the man chuckle making him stroke her hand more.

"So, what would you like to do in Texas dear?"

Yeji looked at the man. The man that was supposed to kidnap the sister of her beloved. She smiled and looked at the window as a tear left her eye, unseen by him.

"Anything you want."

"That's good." The man chuckled and sipped his wine after freeing her hand.

"Before you go, may i ask your name?" She smiled.

"I'm Yeji by the way."

"...Yeonjun."

———

"I'm here to check on your wounds." She gasped. "Which is very severe."

The girl quickly ran to his bed and checked on his wounds before gasping as he saw his face. His long eyelashes and plump lips came to her sight making her heartbeat rise.

"Yeonjun!?"

———

"Here, eat."

"Tsk. What if it's poisoned?"

"If I wanted to kill you then I would just let you rot here than bring you my precious dishes."

Yeonjun furrowed his eyebrows making Yeji smile since she knew that she won the argument.

"Open your mouth."

Yeonjun did what he was told and took a bite of the steak which made Yeji clap her hands in delight.

———
"I like you, Yeonjun."

"Um...I...uh"

"It's okay, I can wait." Yeji smiled.

———

Yeji looked onto her side, bumping her forehead with Yeonjun's. Their lips were a few inches apart but no one backed off nor leaned.

"Yeji..."

"Hm?"

"I think I like you too."

———

"Father, please! Don't hurt him!"

"Don't worry, child. I won't."

———

"Just remember, Yeji. I'm watching your every move. If you don't follow my orders then that man won't see the light by tomorrow.

"Y-Yes, father."

———

"Did you give him the drink?"

"Yes, father."

"Good girl."

"Promise me you won't hurt him after this."

"Let's see."

———

"What is this!? You told me that you wouldn't hurt him if I follow your orders!"

Yeji lashed out to her stepfather who silently smoked cigarettes while looking out of the window of his office.

"Dear, when will you ever learn?" He chuckled.

———

"I'll tell him everything!"

"Go ahead. Then that beloved boy will die together with her bitchy sister."

"Why are you doing this!?"

"I can't let my daughter fall in love with someone unworthy."

———

"Yeonjun, wake up! Choi Yeonjun!"

Hyejin shook his shoulders, in attempt to wake him up. His face was filled with fresh wounds, chest still oozing with blood that mare his breathing stop and his pulse can no longer be heard nor felt.

Yeonjun is dead.

———

"Miss, your father is dead. I'm deeply sorr-"

"Don't be. He deserved it."

———

"What are you doing here!?"

"Lee Jeno I need to ta-"

"Stay out of my way or I won't hesitate to kill you."

With that, Jeno completely walked away and Yeji stood there, sadness all over her face.  She looked at Jeno's disappearing back once again before clutching something in her bag.

———

"Thank you."

The girl slowly walked towards the mansion and clutched something inside her bag. She then placed the flash drive on the gate, staring at the mansion before dashing through the airport.

"Lee Jeno. I hope you'll save her...please."

Yeji sniffed and quickly wiped her tears, trying not to be suspicious to the man beside her. The man doesn't know that he's with Yeji since he never knew what his friend's daughter looked like. All he knew was he was with Hyejin all along.

She took a polaroid from her pocket and caressed it. Tears slowly flooded her eyes as the single picture of her and his loved one came to her sight.

The only picture of them together and the only solid memory she had with him before he died miserably was in her hands. She regretted on not fighting her step father to save Yeonjun and Hyejin that time.

She regretted on not saying the truth because she knew that if she did, he still might be alive now. She was scared that time; weak and fragile.

Caressing the picture for the last time, she then placed it on her bag and glanced at the man who slept on his seat. Looking outside the window, she noticed the clear sky that made her feel fresh and at ease.

"I failed to save you, Yeon. And I don't want to fail again. She's safe now."

With one last smile and one last tear left to cry, the girl shut her eyes. Knowing that her future will begin to crumble, she scoffed as she knew herself that she deserves it.

...

How do y'all feel? :(