32

(Taehyung's Mother's POV)

My goodness....

Reaching over with her calloused finger and tugging the curtain open with her nail Taehyung's mother stares out at the two sitting on the front porch with smiles creasing their faces, her own expression dropping to a somber straight line.

I haven't heard Taehyung use his voice since he was a little boy....he's been upset before...but never like that...even when the kids at school were mean or even violent to him he would just give me a smile....

What is it about this girl that he would use his voice for?

I figured after all these years of being unable to hear he had just became mute...he would get embarrassed as a child when people would laugh at his voice....

Heaving a deep sigh and allowing her tired body to sink into the broken down couch Taehyung's mother runs her hands down her face, her eyes gazing up at the ceiling above her blankly.

I don't want Taehyung to get hurt by these people....nothing good has ever come from someone of money.....

I'll give it to that girl though, she has an iron tongue on her, I can tell she doesn't take much from others.

That comes from being a rich and affluent child as well, you don't have to grovel and beg for people to like you just so you can keep a dead-end job and appease people like her parents.

I don't want Taehyung to think he has that same hold on others...we come from a poor background...we don't get the opportunity to stand up for ourselves.

I hope he realizes that soon before that girl changes who he is...he's such a sweet boy....and soon enough I'll get him out of this hellhole and to a place where he has opportunity...where he can flourish and find more people like him....I'm working myself into the ground just to pay off those old debts....just hoping I don't die from exhaustion before I can give my little boy a better life....

JiNeum...I hate you so much....you cursed my life the second you came into it...the only thing you ever gave me was my precious son out on that porch...I swore to protect him from people like you...and I'll do whatever I have to for me to accomplish that.

We will be better than you.

I'll die before he becomes something like you did.

...............................

(Y/N's POV)

"I brought you something else too Tae!"

Excitedly grabbing the bowl from beside you your eyes watch the boy widen his gaze at the giant bowl of Japchae sitting in front of him, a large breath of excitement escaping his full lips.

He's excited I can tell.

Handing him your board to write on you watch him quickly Scribble his words down on the slippery surface, his nose scrunching up with obvious happiness.

"Really Y/N?! This is for me?!"

"Yeah! I had too much of it and it's too delicious to waste."

Ah...I forgot plates.

Before you can write down on the board about the forgotten plates you see the front door open and Taehyung's mother step out, her hand outstretching with two plates and two sets of metal chopsticks.

"Can't exactly eat without utensils."

She...knew I forgot them...

"A-Ah...Th-Thank you ma'am!"

Standing up as quickly as possible and bowing to the woman in a complete ninety degree angle you grab the utensils and give her a smile, her cold expression causing your lip to twitch in awkwardness.

Goodness, this woman is stone cold.

"Um...if you would like...you can have some too...it's really good and it's fresh!"

Looking down at the gigantic bowl in TaeHyung's lap the woman doesn't allow her gaze to fade a bit as she shakes her head, her hand raising up to stop you from speaking.

"No. I have some food already. I don't need a handout."

Geez.

"This isn't a handout though...I really just have too much food to eat by myself."

"By yourself? You live alone?"

"Um...Well...basically? My parents just fix up houses to sell and they have me live in the house while they fix it up...but they're busy a lot so I just stay home by myself."

"I see."

Suddenly the air becomes uncomfortable and awkward as you stand there in front of the woman, your fingers nervously clutching the plates and utensils in front of you.

"Well, I don't want Taehyung out in the cold anyway. You can come inside to eat but I want you to leave once it is over."

"Ah..Y-Yes Ma'am..."

I get to go inside of their house?!

"Our house isn't like your fancy places you live in however. Don't expect much."

If only she knew the houses I've lived in.

Setting the plates down and grabbing your board you can feel the woman's intense stare on your back as you quickly jot your words down, Taehyung's entire face lighting up when you show it to him.

"You mom says it's cold and I can come inside to eat."

Shooting up from his sitting position and practically vibrating with excitement Taehyung takes the bowl and utensils and makes his way into the house, his beaming bright grin causing a smile to creep on your own cheeks.

Tae is so cute when he's happy....

When you step inside of the house and close the door Taehyung's mother walks over to the table and begins clearing plates, a small look or disappointment growing on her aging face.

"Is that strawberries?"

"Hmm? Ah yes....Taehyung loves strawberries...I always buy him a few with what's left of my paycheck."

She must have prepared this meal for him special....

"You know, we could have a little bit of each! I don't get a lot of actual home cooked meals..."

"....Really?"

At the shocked expression that overtakes the woman's face you clasp your hands together and nod your head, your heart fluttering in your chest when you see Taehyung's big teddy bear brown eyes staring at you in wonder and admiration.

"Yeah! Why not! It can be like a three course meal! I would love to try your cooking!"

"....Alright then...I'll get some bigger dishes out."

Watching the woman walk around in the dimly lit kitchen and search around for plates you find yourself grinning at her demeanor, your heart warming in your chest at the sight in front of you.

This woman isn't cold or mean at all.

She's defensive....kind of like I am....

Sometimes the best way to meet someone defensive like this.......

Is to meet it with kindness...

(A/N): This update is late I'm so sorry >_<