[51]

"Mom!!" The 17 girl yelled out whilst running through the open door that led into the hospital room

The space was wide and luxurious, equipped with top-tier medical gear. It fit a small coffee table area, bookshelf, a closet full of expensive, comfortable clothing and a spacious bathroom. But what less would you expect from the VIP room at the best hospital in the entire country.

On the surprisingly large and cozy hospital bed laid a tiny woman. She was very skinny, a majority of her once black hair that was turning grey at the roots slowly falling off. The bones of her stick-like arms could be seen from far away as there was no proper layer of muscle or fat coating it. Her face was extremely pale, almost as white as a sheet of paper, and her eyes looked ancient and sunken with sadness.

The woman seemed spaced out and didn't even react at the sudden intrusion. She only managed to get a grip as the young girl ran up to her bedside, beautiful soft hard clutching her old rough one.

"Mom!" The newcomer exclaimed, a mix of surprise, worry and relief in her voice as she stared down at her woman.

"Oh Soomin... my beautiful daughter." The woman muttered out, but couldn't even manage a smile for her precious baby girl.

"What happened?! You got another heart attack today." Soomin's eyes were wide as the ones of an eagle, desperate to receive an answer.

Yet the woman seemed weirdly calm, no, she was not in her right mind. Something was stuck in her brain like a pest, not letting her function properly and all she could do was be kept in thought.

"Soomin..." Her mother began with a dry, but weirdly hopeful voice. The young girl nodded her head, awaiting what her mother had to say.

Then she was surprised when her other rough hand shot out to grasp onto hers. She looked her daughter deep in the eyes, a weird spark in them.

"I saw her." Was all she said, forcing a confused frown to Soomin's face.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sure I saw her... but... how?" Her mother rambled on, muttering more to herself than her daughter.

"Who did you see, mom?" Soomin asked, a bit more desperately this time.

"Your-" The woman interrupted herself, one hand shooting out to clutch the fabric of her shirt, right at where her heart was. Her breaths became more frequent and she was definitely struggling to even inhale properly.

"Mom??? MOM!" Soomin yelled out, clutching onto her mother's arms in a panic.

"I saw your-" The woman was cut off yet again, but this time, she couldn't find the strength to recollect herself. She let out a small scream of pain, bending over as the pain in her heart became absolutely unbearable, ripping her into half.

Soomin immediately began yelling, alerting the nearby doctors of the situation. Different medical professionals flooded in, and everyone easily realized that the old lady was having yet another heart attack that day.

And her young daughter could only burst out into tears and sobs as she watched her mother get taken away, never to come back alive.

"Soomin."

She cried, on and on, dropping to the ground in front of the operation room.

"Soomin."

She could feel someone's grip on her shoulder, but she couldn't even look up to check who it was. She could only continue weeping, barely taking any breaths in between her cries.

"Soomin."

"I'm sorry for your loss"

"Soomin!"

The girl's eyes flew open, and she shot up, disoriented. Cold sweat ran down the sides of her face and she was breathing heavily, her heart beating too quickly for her to handle.

But after a small look around, Soomin began to calm down realizing right where she was.

"Are you okay?"

She turned to look to find none other than Donghyuck. She hadn't even realized that his hand had very softly and carefully been holding on to hers in an attempt of comfort. His eyes were surprisingly gentle, scanning her as he had already realized what the problem had been.

"Did you have a nightmare?" He assumed, his voice careful and low.

Soomin's shaken-up nod was all that he needed as a response.

The boy let out a long sigh, looking down at her with pity in his eyes. He knew what it felt like: having a terrible nightmare. It could haunt you for days on, forcing you to remember the darkest parts of your entire life. In that field, he could easily sympathize with her. And although he had no idea about what her nightmare was about, he felt her.

And Soomin's breath hitched as she watched his blurry figure leaning in, feeling his warmth getting closer to her. His arms entangled around her, setting on her back as he situated his chin on her shoulder. A hand then gently began patting her back, in an attempt of comfort.

That's when Soomin broke down, the tears in her glossy eyes beginning to flood down her rosy cheeks. Because she was desperately seeking for the comfort he offered her, her arms naturally went around his lower back and her face got buried in his shoulder. 

And she cried. Uncontrollable sobs constantly escaped her chapped lips, the waterfalls of tears coming from her eyes feeling eternal. And Donghyuck held her all the way through, hand continuously patting her back and holding her small, shaking body tightly.

This reminded him of their argument, which seemed to have taken place ages ago.

"You're not the only one in the world going through things, genius. The only difference is that you pretend you are, your ego blocking out everyone else's issues."

And she had been right. Donghyuck was an asshole with absolutely no conscience, who cared about no one but himself. 

But he wanted to change. Because somehow Soomin's presence made him want to improve himself. Made him want to be kinder, be more open, be more approachable. He wanted to be all of those things that life had stripped him of. 

He wanted to be different. For her.

I cannot oh my godThis character development is so fkn adorable ohfoshos

I cannot oh my god
This character development is so fkn adorable ohfoshos