Chaper 1

sound is of an eagle crying

Alba's POV

To say I was shocked was an understatement at first I thought why my parents are werewolves so should I. Then I thought was I adopted I had to ask. Everyone from the pack was now gossiping about me and my Phoenix my friends sneered at me all of a sudden as I took a step towards them they screamed and yelled "STAY AWAY FROM US FREAK!" I was heartbroken I thought my friends would always be there for me like I thought. I turned to my parents. "I think you need to give me some answers I deserve an explanation why am I not a werewolf like you both are." Was it hurt or shame I saw on their faces I wasn't sure. "Alba come home we'll talk about it there." I nodded to my dad and we silently walked home.

As soon as we got inside my mum had made me tea. "Well hunny what would you like to know first?" My mum started well here goes. "Am I adopted cause your both werewolves so I'd have to be adopted right?" My parents were mortified looking. "Good heavens sweetie no your ours." My dad continued "do you not see the resemblance, look the reason you aren't a werewolf and we knew you wouldn't be. When your mother was pregnant she almost died as you are well aware you are our only child. Your mother and I tried for years but then we were blessed." My mother continued for him. "You see when I was pregnant both your father and I were visited by believe it or not the Moon Goddess she told us we would have a girl but that you would be born to hold a spirit Phoenix not a wolf and her name would be Aurora. Your spirit Phoenix is the last of her kind which makes you a very powerful person." Yes I am the last... I can still feel they're deaths the Moon Goddess spared me said one day I will be alive again with a soul worthy enough. I have waited over 200years to be with you Alba. "OMG" my parents looked at me "What is it hunny." I looked at my mum. "Oh that was Aurora she was very sad almost in tears as you mentioned she was the last of her kind. She also told me she has waited over 200years for someone as worthy as me to be born. How can I be that special. I don't feel worthy enough for her." My parents gasped in horror but it's true. I will not hear you say this Alba I don't make any mistakes when I chose you as my human. You have the qualities of a Phoenix. You care for the young, wear your heart on your sleeve, you are kind, thoughtful but your not weak if anyone or thing hurts the ones you love you fight back. You were meant for great things I know it, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen you with the Moon Goddesses blessing of course.

As the day past I noticed most people either ran from me or sneered, call me names suggesting our Alpha make me a rogue. I'm not one of them my parents let me believe I would be a werewolf but I'm not my entire life they lied to me, that betrayal stings more. I still love them to death but why didn't they tell me sooner if they did my friends still might be by my side and I wouldn't be the outcast freak of my pack anymore. "I don't wish you away Aurora I realise you've probably faced bigger problems in your past but I just want to be accepted, will they always see me as a threat and a freak, why would they even think we would be a threat." I mind-linked Aurora. Human don't fear what others think, they are small minded and not used to change as a Phoenix we've always been good with change it gives us freedom. Yes I don't like how they treat you, us even but if I loose control I will give them more power to hate us. And those so called friends were no friends to you. Your true friends wouldn't have cast you aside so easily. One day you will be looked up too adored even and respected don't loose hope child we were meant to be. "I'm going to get used to you I love you Aurora thanks for choosing me and ooh thanks for the pep talk always appreciate it." Anytime child.

As a pack we were told by the Alpha to meet in the training grounds for an announcement. My father was already there I decided rather than go alone I'd take my mum now apparently the only people I couldn't talk to the mothers of the pups in our pack they rush their children away when they see me and whisper to them to stay away from me. As if I can't hear what they say about me. Once we make it to the training grounds the Alpha stands on the hill where I did when I shifted. "Crested Dew Pack we will be welcoming some members and their Alpha from the Mystique West Pack in three days time for a peace treaty." Hushed gossip started to filter through the crowd. "SILENCE we will welcome them warmly no shenanigans and ALBA" What Why me Why boom my name "Yes Alpha" I shakily ask. "Alba just stay out of sight the entire time The Mystique West Pack Are here." I put my head down I noticed my father look at the Alpha ashamed and angered of his Alpha orders to me but he can't go against his orders. Alpha then announced his son to be Alpha the had a big ceremony but I was no longer interested in it. "I'm going for a flight mum or try to I'm sure Aurora wants out she'll help me I'll be back by dinner." My mother held back her tears she knew it was from the humiliation of the Alphas cruel orders that I not show my face anymore. "Be careful don't fly too high I don't want you to hurt yourself I trust Aurora to guide you through it I'll tell your father." She kissed my temple and I left I could feel everyone's eyes on me as I left.

Finally I was in a small clearing still obviously on the pack grounds but there were some tall trees with big sturdy branches. No Alba it's easier and safer to shift on ground when you become stronger and more agile you can shift in the trees, but until then I would not like to damage a wing sweetie. "Ok so now what." Breathe think of me the fire in our bodies the hurt the anger let it out. Well that's easy I've suddenly got plenty of anger and resentment stored inside me.
I feel the painful fire wash over me I still need to scream. Don't worry child one day it will just feel like a warm comfort flowing over you. With her words of comfort My spine begins to break and moulded wings soon take form my body soon produces lovely long tail feathers. My face shifts my hair mats to my face turns orange my nose and mouth protrude for this part really hurts my beak is formed my talons are the last thing to form I see my toes extend and sharp claw like talons replace them. She makes a piercing celebratory cry when my shift is complete.
Aurora tells me how I can let her take over. I'm like in the passenger seat awestruck as she gracefully takes to the skies I remind her to not set things on fire and only circle the territory she obliges. Aurora is so graceful and beautiful this feel effortless she's not really flapping her wings much I'm entranced as she simply soars over the plains. It doesn't take long or at least it doesn't feel long till she's flown over the territory five times. She guides me through the landing. Lean back, almost completely vertical to the ground and strong flaps with our wings to help our balance and rate at which you want to land ok now you try don't worry if you don't get it I will take over. I try my balance is a little off the strength I put in is a little weak but I stumble threw till I land on my side I quickly adjust to try not to damage my right wing which seems fine. Not bad for your first attempt pretty good Alba you'll be a pro in no time don't hesitate to put stronger force into our wings trust me. Thank you sweetie you didn't have to let me out.

I sat on top of the hill in the clearing as Aurora explained that we have powers, obviously we can set anything on fire including ourselves it doesn't hurt us though, but also our tears have healing properties, and should we be fatally injured we can be reborn through our ashes. Don't get too comfortable with that there are still ways we can perish for good otherwise I wouldn't be the last one. "So what are the other ways." Poisonous plants like the deadly Ergot (Claviceps Purpurea), Jimsonweed (Datura Spp.) the list of poisonous plants go on there were many others but over the two centuries some don't exist anymore, of the top of my head they still exist. No amount of rebirth can come back if they are ingested. Wow that's a scary thought. We chat a bit more I feel like Aurora is my only friend haha built in best friend right.

"Well hunny did you learn how to fly?" My mum was in the house washing the kitchen floor. "Yes and how to land that was tricky, she also told me of Powers I will possess when I'm stronger and what threats can harm us etc... "yes I'm sure Aurora took great care in mentioning the nasty shit that killed her kind Oh excuse my French." "Ha Don't worry about it mum let me help you make dinner Kay." My mum nodded her head and moved onto wash the bathroom floors next.

Dad comes storming into the kitchen. "What's up dad" he looks at me and a sad smile appears on his lips. "I hate the way this pack acts towards you, you were always a gift how could Alpha Martin be so cold towards you, your my daughter FOR GODS SAKE!" He slammed his fist on the Marble island. "Calm down dad it is what is, Alphas orders remember, besides I'm different now and people are always afraid of what's different. I mean they shouldn't fear me but they do and that's their problem. Look at me I'm ok and I'll be ok I've accepted who I am Aurora is a gift your right I'm a lucky girl. Yes I was shocked but now I've bonded more with her she's a great friend so don't worry about it ok, let the Alpha be judgemental I'll get over it and so should you." I hugged him and he wrapped his arms tightly my back and kissed the top of my head. "Alright Alba what's for dinner let's start you chop I'll cook sound good." "Sounds like a plan dad."