Discover Your Enemy

~~~Priscilla

May, 1st, 1951

I take my time stalking my prey, I'm far out of the Estate's reach. It's been such a long time since I have gone hunting like this, but I'm not hunting for any traitors. This time, I'm hunting a much different prey. A child rapist, he got away with it because he accused a black man. The things they did to him, I saw what they did. They lynched him and then flayed him alive, he didn't even go to jail. He didn't even get a fair testimony. That man was only twenty-one years old, I don't know his name but I did take my time to look into his backstory.

I think about the fact that Apollos let Jeane look for those men, instead of me. I could have done it, so why doesn't he trust me to do it? He touched the little girls and even went as far as to break one of their hymens. I even looked deeply into the case, the abuse, and everything behind it. I read all the testimonies and smelled the papers, some of these men couldn't even hold the tears in. These men were good but they were racist, I guess even racists have standards.

They don't know any better, they don't know anything. They were taught to hate other people. They were also taught to believe people different from them were monsters. They are sheep in the simplest of terms. I sit outside his house, watching him talk to his family. Reading their lips you can tell that he had a hard day at work, but he was happy to greet his wife and two daughters. They fit the description of what he does to every other girl. He did this to four little girls, if he likes doing it so much why doesn't he kill his children?

I stopped myself from the thought, and I waited. I wait for him to eat dinner. He has an excellent choice of the last meal, fried livers with mashed potatoes and broccoli. His wife puts her heart into cooking, as I've been watching her cook for the last few days. She loves him, but she doesn't know the kind of man she lives with. They get ready to go to sleep for the night, and it's time for me to do what I do best.

I throw a rock at the window, to get his attention. He's watching TV, some kind of late-night show. He comes outside, and I change out of clothes. I play the part perfectly of a little damsel in distress. 'Excuse me sir I'm lost and I need help.' I saw the clothes the little girls were wearing, he went out of his way to buy white gowns for them. I put one on and I make myself look inviting.

He looks at me, and then he looks around. 'What's a little lady like you doing out and about by yourself?' He has a Southern accent, and it's slightly out of shape. He wears a wife beater and is still wearing his business pants. I can't cry because I would let out blood for tears. "I'm sorry, my mommy and daddy left me and I've been looking for shelter." His face looks surprisingly sad, as I think come on and take the bait you son of a bitch. He had a moment of consideration and then I grabbed his hand. "Please you look just like my daddy." He then composes himself and then says come on in.

He says 'Okay, just let me get ready and I'll drive you to the nearest police station.' He lets me in oh, and I sit on the couch. I wait a few seconds, and he's gone. I scan the house, and then I take my time looking at the family pictures. He is the perfect liar, I could bring his lies to truth. The things society would do to him, but then I think about the fact that no one would ever admit that they killed an innocent man. So instead I perish the thought and focus on something else.

The fact that he's dressed, 'you're a pretty little girl, he says with a smile.' I smile and say "Thank you," we get in the car and the car, and he has me sitting in the back seat. We drive for a little bit further, and when I finally speak I put on my child's voice. "Mister, where are we going? I thought the police station was the other way." He is taking me to his spot. It's then that I pull out my blades, and I push them to his neck. "It's rude to ignore a young lady."

'You're not a little girl are you?' I chuckled and then I said, "You are no stand-up citizen." He then starts to reach for the revolver under his seat. I wouldn't do that if I were you, I pressed the blade closer to his neck. He reaches for the gun and aims it at my head. He pulls the trigger only to hear that dissatisfying click. "I took those a while ago," I said while chuckling. "It's unfortunate that you can't tell the difference between a loaded and unloaded gun"