Lesson 7

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

Lesson 7:
Focus on objectives

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

"I apologized, Silvanna-san, we really didn't help you at all, after all," the boy with glasses who I learned to be Shinpachi said while he was scratching his head.

"Hey! I wouldn't be able to find Katsura if I didn't go after you," I answered. The silver-haired man, Gintoki, was bedridden. I came closer to Shinpachi's ears and whispered, "One more thing, your sister looks so scary. One second she's an angel, the next one she's still an angel, but an angel of death. I told her that I'll bring you back to her, safe and sound. I don't like to die here."

"Thank you for helping us, too, fighting them."

"You don't have to thank me. I'm a knight, I'm just doing my duty."

"You're a knight?" Oops. Did I say that?

"Well... Uh... Yes? Anyway, I'll take my leave now. Here, as a token of gratitude, take this," I grabbed the pieces of gold in my pocket and gave it to Shinpachi who was astounded. He's too absorbed in gold so I made this opportunity to take my leave. "Goodbye, I guess?"

With that, I took my step away from him. There's no reason for me to stay here anymore.

I should focus on my objectives. Now that I don't have any side responsibilities, I think I'll be able to focus on searching for my way home.

Days passed by in an ease and I found none. Christmas and New Year went by in a breeze. I can't help but miss my true home and what it's like in festive seasons.

I gave up on looking for answers so I just settled on living here. That worm-like creature didn't show up anymore and that was my only hope of coming back to Land of Dawn.

When I realized that I'll be staying in this place longer, I decided to study the history of this place. I even tried to adapt to the way they live but their clothes here restricts me from moving around so I just quit.

I also tried to find some work but I don't really know much. All my life, I was just in the castle. Locked up because my Father was scared that the demons would take me away from them too. They told me that I should just forget my brother but how can I do that when I know that he's still alive?

I can clearly remember it. The time when I saw my brother once again... but he's not the one I longed for anymore. A demon tried to attack a child in the woods but I stood against it.

When I saw its face, I knew it was him. His gentle and sweet appearance may have been replaced by a scary and fierce one but I can still see his resemblance to my younger brother. I felt it. A sister longing for his long lost dear brother.

When I reached the right age, I decided to join the Imperial Knight. It wasn't easy for I discarded my status as the Princess just to be one. The scars, the bruises and the wounds I received on the training... They were nothing compared to the ones I received when I saw my family torn apart.

I believe that being strong is the only way I can have my brother back.

My training has paid off, I'm now a knight who can protect herself and others. But am I really the knight I wanted to be?

I also want to prove myself to everyone else that I can be independent. I don't want to be a Princess who's always been a damsel-in-distress. I'm the next ruler of the Empire, I can't afford them to look down on me.

But in the end, I still ended up depending on others. I'm just a helpless knight.

I'm on my way home from my new job as a waitress at a restaurant, in which I was fired again. That's my 30th job now. Why can't I find permanent work? Oh, right. I was a nag and an amazona who always argued with the customers. After all, all I know is to fight. I never learned from any lessons they taught me as a princess.

The golds in my pocket are about to run out already. I need to pay my rent, too. If I don't pay, I'll be like those people who live above the older lady's snackbar.

Oh, shoot! The old lady! Maybe she can hire me.

I hurriedly went to the direction that I remember.

"W-Who are you?" I stopped when I heard someone. It was from the dark alley. "Get away from me, you disgusting people!"

"We won't. Everyone needs to see the incompetence of Shinsengumi," a dark baritone voice said.

"Help! Someone help us!"
"Help!"
"Anyone! Take us away from these filthy dudes!"

I quietly peeked on the dark alley. I saw some masked men gathered around something. When I looked at their legs' part, I already knew the reason they're circling around.

I manifested my spear on the opposite side and threw it to them. They all looked in the direction where the spear came from. I stood behind them as I caught Cometic Lance.

I froze when I realized what I did. I can't just summon my spear in this world at my own will! They'll think it will be weird. Magic doesn't exist here, after all.

"Hey, your enemy's here!" I said before launching an attack on them.

When I managed to take down half of them, I approached the hostages and cut the rope wrapped around them.

"Run, now that there's still an opening!" I said. They stood up and ran away. Some of the men tried to chase after them but I stopped them.

"I won't let you get them again. Now that I---" I felt a needle piercing my skin. It refrained me from moving. I can't open my mouth anymore... as well as my eyes.