Lesson 28

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

Lesson 28:
When there is light, there is shadow

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

"What did you do?" I didn't notice that I raised my voice to them.

"You were about to be eaten by the darkness. We saved you. Is that how you express your gratitude? You really are one crazy woman," Gintoki said.

"Darkness?"

"Gin-chan said that you were hypnotized by that worm-turned-hag!" Kagura said. I raised my eyebrow to Gintoki.

"If she wasn't hypnotized, then maybe she put a spell on her!" he exclaimed.

I took a deep breath.

"It's your brain that is cursed!" I told him. "I wasn't hypnotized nor was I under a spell so please stop on conspiracy nonsense theories that's worse than you."

"Then what happened? And what's that huge portal-like thing?" Shinpachi asked.

"Ah! Maybe it's the gateway to the next stage of the adventure!" Kagura said.

"It's the only way I can go home," I muttered.

"What? Can you say it louder?" Gintoki said.

"I said, IT'S THE ONLY WAY I CAN GO HOME AND THANKS TO YOU, I LOST THE CHANCE TO RETURN TO THE EMPIRE!" I immediately regret what I've said but there's no turning back now. "How am I supposed to go back now?"

"Ride a ship," he answered. I stared at him blankly. I already tried that but it's impossible. They don't have transportation to the Land of Dawn.

"You know what? Forget it. It's my fault, too, for holding back for a second," I said and left.

That was the last time I saw them.

It was all my fault. I knew from the start that I can't be attached to people in this world because that will make me hesitate. I knew it and yet, I can't stop myself from doing it.

I didn't come back to Yorozuya after that night. I didn't come back to them anymore.

I needed to distance myself. I need to cut all of my attachments in this world. This is not the world where I belong, after all.

I am a Princess.

I am a Knight.

I ain't one of them.

An empire is waiting for my return, there's no room for hesitation.

I should remember that always, from now on.

Once I'm back on our empire, I'll forget about them. I'll forget everything about him and this feeling that's starting to bloom.

Ever since I hid myself from them, my life has been quiet. Something that I was not used to. I feel like something is missing.

I can't hear Shinpachi's complaints. I can't hear Kagura's aru. I can't witness how Sadaharu bite everyone. Lastly, I'm not used to not having an argument with Gintoki.

I shook the thought away.

"Excuse me, Miss! Can you change the channel? I heard they'll be releasing a gaming gadget today. My son woke up and left first thing in the morning just to get it. Can you please turn it on a news channel?" I heard one of the customers ask me.

I nodded at him and did what he said.

Everything stopped in motion as soon as I saw the familiar figures on the television.

It looks like the one they were selling is a game console. A lot of men were laying on the ground and when I saw the people who caused it, my heart skipped a beat. It was the trio who I haven't seen for a long time. It seems like the game console has a bug that caused this unfortunate incident. I can't help but feel pity for those who were affected by it.

"Miss! Change the channel please! They'll be showing a rerun of my favorite show!" someone shouted among the customers.

I was about to change the channel when suddenly someone appeared. The glass I was holding slipped on my hand, gathering the attention of the customers.

"Silvanna, what's happening?" a workmate of mine asked me but my eyes were still glued to the television.

"Oh, will this thing help me find her?" That white hair, those horns, that purple eyes. I don't have to think just to know who it is. It was the Queen of the Demons, Alice! But what is she doing here? Do the demons already know about my situation?

"I just need to look at this?" she asked and pointed to the camera. She coughed before looking at the viewers. "Hello there, you gentle little creatures. I want to talk to all of you more but I don't have enough time. I have a very important message to you all but I have something to say to someone right now."

"I heard that the Princess of Light resides in this city and when there is light, there is shadow." I clenched my jaw. "Will the Princess of Light be able to stop everything before it can turn into darkness?"

"That is all that I have to say for my lost comrade and here's for you, little creatures... darkness can also be a friend," she said. The anchor from a while ago came back and stood beside her.

"Thank you, darling. Allow me to express my gratitude to you," she said and came closer to the anchor. She held his face and looked him in the eyes. "My kiss grants you immortality or death. Enjoy your last moments, your end nears. I will drain every drop of blood from your body."

From aiming on his lips, she switched and went to its neck. Her pointed fangs showed up before the channel lost its signal.

"What the heck was that? That's some insane cosplaying!" a customer said.

They might think that it was some kind of act but for me, I know it isn't. I immediately went to the staff room and changed my clothes. I headed home and wrote to Fanny.