Lesson 18

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

Lesson 18:
Promises are meant to be broken

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

"F-Fanny," I stuttered. I can't believe it. She was looking sideways but when she heard me, she turned at me.

She had the same reaction as me. Her mouth slightly opened upon meeting my gaze but she closed it and gulped.

"Your Highness!" she greeted, "Is it really you, Your Highness?"

"I should be the one asking you that question! How come? How... How did you get here?" I said while trying to hold back the tears in my eyes.

"We were so worried about you when you disappeared along with that worm-like creature. We tried to search for you in every place in the empire but you were nowhere to be found. We don't have any idea on what will happen to us if another successor goes missing," she said while tears were streaming down her eyes. "My brother and the whole squad were blaming themselves. They were saying that it's their fault and they shouldn't just leave. They should have stayed with you."

"What happened to the Empire when the Captain and the others aided you?"

"When they learned that the Empire had sent reinforcements, the abyssal demons retreated immediately. You don't have to worry. The empire is safe on our watch and we won't let anything destroy it until you come home."

"But how did you find me?!"

"The Seed of Light. An hour after you went missing, the Seed lit up then it showed you healing someone. Everytime you use your magic, the seed will always brighten and it will always show us what you were doing. We tried to enter through it but we failed," she said. "We, then, asked for the help of Elvens. Their knowledge about magic is too wide. We explained your situation to them but they couldn't do much because the seed stopped flashing things about your whereabouts."

"Luckily, you used your magic one time so the Elves were able to trace you and they made this." She held her necklace that has a circular stone encircled by a golden metal as its pendant. "They enchanted this necklace so that we'll be able to travel to different worlds easily. However, it is only effective if there is something connecting the world where we came from to the world where we wanted to go. In this situation, it was your magic that's connecting it."

"When they just finished it, you suddenly used your magic again and we knew that we have to test this thing. I volunteered to be the one who'll test it. I thought I would already see you but I was wrong, it didn't bring me to the exact place where we saw you."

"I was worried that I went to the wrong world but when I saw this house, I got a feeling you were here for this is what the Seed has shown us."

"At least you're here now, in front of me," I said and enveloped her in a hug. "That's what matters the most."

She did something on her necklace and light started to emit from it. When I blinked my eyes, a white door stood in front of me. I opened the door and I smiled at what I saw.

The tears that I've been holding back were finally released when I felt a nostalgic feeling. On the other side of the door is my home, my true home. The palace, the empire. I even cried more when I saw the faces of everyone. They were looking at me with smiles on their faces as if they've been waiting for me for a very long time.

"Shall we go back now?" she asked. I nodded. She offered a hand and I didn't hesitate to accept it. She entered first and I heard her talking about my return.

I gasped when her face suddenly showed up.

"I apologize for startling you, Your Highness. You may enter now. Everyone is waiting," she said.

I took my first step.

My eyebrows furrowed when an invisible barrier refrained me from going inside.

"What's wrong, Your Highness?" Fanny came back.

"I can't enter," I said. I let go of her hand and tried to put my hand in it but my palms landed on a cold invisible wall.

Her eyes went to my palm. She even examined it and tried to put her pointing finger in it. Unlike me, she was successful in doing it.

"But, Your Highness, this is how I came here," she said.

"And I didn't. That worm-like creature was the one who sent me here," I said.

We heard something coming from inside the house.

"What's that, Your Highness?" she asked.

"It's nothing, really. There's just a little fight happening inside," I answered.

"A fight?" Her eyes widened. "I remember seeing you in the Seed fighting! How are you? Are you hurt?"

"Samurai things, you know, and no, I'm not hurt anywhere," I assured her. My gaze shifted on the door and I immediately looked at Fanny. "You should go back now, Fanny. The door is shrinking!"

"But I can't leave you here, Your Highness. I must protect you as your faithful knight."

"You can't stay here. There's only one of me in this world but in our world, you have an empire to protect along with your brother. Abyssal Demons can't go here. I'm different from the people in this world. I assure you, I will not die in this place because I know that I still need to go back to you."

"Your Highness, please promise me that you'll come back to us, safe and sound. I beg, Your Highness."

"I won't..." I said that surprised her. "Promises are meant to be broken, Fanny. I won't promise to you but I'll make sure that I will return to all of you. Keep the empire and its people safe until then."

"Yes, Your Highness. We will make sure that when you come back, you still have an empire to rule..." With that, I watched her go back to our world.