Lesson 10

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

Lesson 10:
People you hang out with may influence you

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

"Maybe if that lazy useless guy will hang around with a person like you, he'll be influenced, too--as well as those kids with him."

I looked back on what Miss Otose told me yesterday. It's not a job that she wants me to do. She wants me to babysit these children in the bodies of an adult and two teenagers.

She even offered me to live with them and I don't need to pay anymore. All I need to do is just watch over them. As someone who didn't have a choice and no home to shelter anymore, I just said yes.

Then, here I am. Standing with these three, accompanying them on one of their "jobs". A woman approached them earlier. She said that it's been five years since her son came to Edo from the countryside. It's been five years and yet, she never heard of him ever since.

I sighed on what they did to our only picture of Hachirou. He gave them a hair that's twice-thrice or four times bigger than his head. They gave him a monobrow and a line of hair on the lower part of his face that I'm not sure if it's a mustache or a nose hair.

"No way!!! There's no way this exists! Even if he did, he wouldn't leave the house," Shinpachi exclaimed. I asked Miss Otose about their names earlier. I don't want to address them with eyeglasses boy, vermillion-haired girl and silverhead forever.

"No, he exists. In the Land of Dreams," said Gintoki.

"There's no such thing as Land of Dreams, and even if there was, he wouldn't leave the house. And what you guys did isn't plastic surgery, it's just drawing tons of hair over it," well said, Ginpachi. I'm glad that someone among them can still think rationally.

"Silvanna-san." He turned at me with a serious expression. I looked at him. He was silent for a few seconds. Was he weighing things first?

"It must be very important that you--"

"Your name's... too long. Can I call you Dr. Jones?" I removed myself from leaning against the wall and eyed him with disbelief. I take back what I said earlier.

"Oh! No way! Sadaharu No. 30 will be better." I hit my forehead with my palms when Kagura suggested that.

"Oi, it's longer than the original! And will you stop naming her after your past pets?"

"And naming her after a non-superhero superhero? She didn't even have the hat!"

"You two! Stop fighting over a simple matter. She should be called Gintoki's ane-ue." He even said that they should not fight over a simple matter and yet, he recommended something and I totally lost my identity there. Gintoki's ane-ue? Does he really like to be my little brother that much? He looks older than me!

I shook my head at them as they fought over what nickname they would like to call me and looked away from them.

My eyes widened upon seeing a familiar appearance. I immediately snatched the picture from Gin's grasp and compared it to whoever is this guy standing in front of me.

They stopped debating and followed my gaze. Their jaws dropped upon seeing it. Who wouldn't be shocked that this messed up "plastic surgery" really does exist?

"Hachirou speaking. Ah, yes. I'll be there," the man with a hair a lot bigger than his head passed by.

"It-It appeared!" the trio exclaimed.

"We must be in the Land of Dreams now. Quick! You all need to wake up. We shouldn't waste our time!" I said.

"Silvanna-san, there's no such thing!" Shinpachi said, still surprised.

"Are you serious? It appeared! Oi!" said Ginpachi.

"What should we do? What should we do?" said Shinpachi, who looked like having a panic attack.

"Calm down! Go get the ol' ma first."

I can't believe it. Weird things really exist in this place. From a gorilla dressed as human and now a man with tons of hair over his head as well as the weird mustache is here.

"Huh? Wait, there's a commotion over there. What's going on?" I pointed in the direction wherein girls with dark skin were flocking. "Isn't that the woman earlier?"

"She's fighting with the other girls," said Shinpachi.

"Ma!!!" Gintoki exclaimed. "Leave her to me. You, guys, go follow Hachirou."

The two teenagers quickly ran away when Gintoki said that. I was left there confused about where I was going.

Should I follow them?

I took a few steps away from Gintoki but I halted.

They're too far now. I'm already left behind.

I went back to see Gintoki dragging the old lady away from the girls and a bunch of short goons appeared, too. I ran to join Gintoki and the woman.

"Whaaaaat? These people just came into town? Yah," the one wearing sunglasses said. "I dunno what mountain you came from, and don't care, but those who mess 'round my turf aren' t gonna be left off easy!"

He even argued with one of the audiences who said that he's short and reasoned out that it's fashion. I've never seen a fashion that will just make you look shorter than before.

Gintoki tried to escape the scene by saying that we are busy. It was all okay but he just added, "Oi, that's the latest fashion to hide short legs."

The short man was really pissed off. He jumped in the air and aimed his foot towards us. I hid the old lady behind my back and spread out my arms as Gintoki swiftly moved. He grabbed their trousers and lifted them. I winced at the sight, it must be hurting them somewhere.

"Oi! Brats! I already said we were busy! It's fine to wear your hakama loose, but you can't raise your hand to an old lady, bro--It's okay to your Hakama loose... But you better tighten up on now to be a proper human!"