Lesson 24

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

Lesson 24:
When you're talking to someone, you have to look him in the eyes

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

Dearest Your Highness,

The time we spent yesterday is worth cherishing. It's like I've seen the side of you that no one in the whole empire has ever seen. I don't want to say it but I have to admit that you were the best version of yourself yesterday.

As the future ruler of the empire, you always carry the responsibilities and duty to protect it. To see you being happy like that, how I wish that you would stay in that place so you'll have that smile written on your face forever.

And when I saw how you looked at that silverhead man, I couldn't help but be glad for you.

He's way out of your league. He looks idiotic and acts idiotic but despite him being the total opposite of you, if he makes you so true to yourself, I think he's a great man. I hope I'll be able to get to know him more. It's a relief that my brother and the other two weren't there when they saw it, no one knows what they can do to that man.

I've always wished that I'll see you smile just like that. That was the sweetest smile you've ever had. I hate to say it but I was jealous of that man. Me and the others have saved you in the past, too, but the smile you had when he held your hand was nothing compared to the sweetest pastry in the whole galaxy.

I am willing to beg for all of the Gods, if that will take for you to be with him.

But... that will make me selfish, isn't it?

Among all people, you are the one who deserves the most happiness. You lost your brother when you were young and when you already found him, it turns out you have to fight him. You're about to carry the duty and responsibility of ruling the empire. To be the next queen, you have to sacrifice your own happiness and dedicate your life to the empire.

I want you to be happy until then.

But among all people, I am certain that you know it perfectly.

It's not that I don't want you to be happy but, Your Highness, the deeper you fall, the more painful its impact.

If you become too attached to that world, to its people, to that person, it will be hard for you to come back knowing you can't return to that world once again. When you come back here, your magic in that world will vanish, the connection of their world to our world will disappear, too. Thus, going back to that world will be impossible.

I am aware that I am not in the right place and position to tell you this but, Princess, please cut your tie with them already. Don't make things complicated for you. I don't want you to suffer anymore.

You told me, Your Highness, that you'll come back to us. We're waiting for you to rule the empire and lead us to victory.

Your faithful knight,
Fanny

I folded Fanny's letter after I read it. I told the post office to keep the letters addressed to me in there and I asked them to not deliver it. I'll be the one to pick it up.

I sighed. I know, Fanny, I know. That's what I'm about to do. I just need the right timing.

"Silvanna-san!" I turned to the person who called me. I immediately hid the letter inside my hand armor.

"Where are you heading?" I asked him. He was walking along Gintoki, Kagura and Sadaharu. Gintoki and I caught sight of each other but I immediately avoided his gaze but even so, I still felt the change in the pace of my heartbeat.

"We were from a mechanic we know. We asked him to check this," he said and raised the head he was holding.

My eyes widened in surprise and I looked at him with my eyebrows twitched.

"Whose head was this? Why are you carelessly roaming while holding this head?" I asked. "Are you thugs now? Pirates? Members of the Abyss?"

"Oi, idiot, calm down first. We don't get what you were saying." I tried to glance at Gintoki but I quickly looked down. "What's wrong with you? Why are you looking down? When you're talking to someone, you have to look him in the eyes."

He crouched and appeared before my eyes. I looked up and turned to my left. He moved where my gaze went and I avoided his eyes again.

"What's wrong with you? You weren't like this yesterday nor the other day. Are you sick? Have some sore eyes?" he asked and his face went closer and closer every time I switched the direction where I was looking.

When I had enough, I remained and stared into his eyes. My chest started to pound so hard again. We were so close to each other, I wonder if he can hear it, too.

His eyes were emotionless, like always. I tried to search for any emotions hidden on it but all I can see is his straight stare and my reflection. I wonder what he was thinking. I wonder if he noticed.

He was the one who broke our staring contest. I was absorbed in his eyes. I didn't notice that Kagura and Shinpachi had left already.

"I wonder what you're hiding," I heard him mutter before going after the two teens.