Lesson 17

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

Lesson 17:
Marriage should come with love

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

"You're the woman on the Yorozuya last time, aren't you?" Otae greeted me. She poured tea in my glass. She went to the kitchen and prepared what she cooked a while ago when I arrived.

I flinched at its appearance. Is this a new kind of recipe? What's this called? Extra toasty crispy?

"Yes. I'm glad you can still remember me," I said, still studying the dish she served.

"Why should I forget about you? You have the same hair color as that pervert. Are you relatives? And oh... That's an omelette."

What's with these people asking me if I'm related to that silverhead. We're both silver-haired but we have different shades of silver. Why can't they differentiate that?

It's an omelette? Extra toasty crispy omelette? Or a chocolate omelette? How was she able to mix the chocolate in the eggs? Is it safe?

"Fortunately, we aren't. I can't stand to see someone like that at every family gathering. He will only cause chaos."

"I know right. So why are you here?"

"I'm with him actually. He asked me to make some sense to you about this thing but I don't know if I'll be able to do it. But you know, in our place, marriage is very sacred, that's what they believe," I started. "It is sacred because it is the ceremony where you'll tie with the person who you want to spend the rest of your life with, not because you are indebted or because you made a promise--but it's because it's your other half."

"I don't really get why they would say it as the other half. I've never fallen for someone before but hearing other people's stories about the one they wanted to spend the rest of their lives with, it must be because two people are just so attached to each other. They were too attached that they can't live without their other half," I just continued on telling whatever I have in my mind. "Sometimes, it's because it's their total opposites. But most especially, because they are very significant to each other."

"My point is... marriage should come with love--romantic love, to be precise. You can't just marry someone if you don't love him or her. However, you also can't let others dictate you on this kind of matter. No one knows yourself more than you. I know that Shinpachi is aware of that, he can't just meddle on his sister's feelings, but he's also your brother. If he knew that this decision would not make you happy, he'll definitely pull you back to the right path."

"You're lucky, actually. You are free to choose who you want to marry without other people judging it. As for me, all eyes are always on me. As the only su--" I immediately stopped when I realized what I was about to say. I almost slipped! "I don't think I'll be able to marry someone in this life. Ever since I was born, I was already tied to the duties and responsibilities that I have to fulfill."

"What if you fell in love with someone? Will you choose him over your duties?" a certain person came to my mind. I smiled bitterly at the thought. It will be impossible.

And what the abyss? Why am I thinking about him?

"I won't. I vowed to do my duty well and I shall fulfill it even though it will cost my own happiness," I said. I have a kingdom to rule and choosing my own happiness will make me so selfish. "It's still your choice though but remember, it will not come with an expiration date."

She was silent for a while. I decided to try her omelette. I sliced a small portion first. Oh, it's just extra toasty. I put it inside my mouth and I almost spit it. It's too bitter!

I immediately gulped the tea beside me and I almost cried at its taste.

Seriously, is this girl going to be married? I shall pray for her husband... er... wife's soul if she'll taste her cooking.

She finally snapped from spacing out when we heard a commotion outside. Someone mentioned Kyuubei and the top four rampaging on the grounds and destroying some parts of his house. He also mentioned someone claiming himself as Otae's brother. Hearing about her brother, Otae stood up to peek and the next thing I knew, she was running in the hallway.

I was about to chase her when I caught a glimpse of something in the corner of my eyes. It's a cable and violet clothes.

I ran to the place where I saw it. I almost froze on what I've seen. I can feel the tears that are starting to build up in my eyes as the familiar golden-haired fellow stood in front of me.