Lesson 16

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

Lesson 16:
Samurai dies and live by their sword

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

"Hey, eggs are falling off of you," the brown-haired one said, his name is Sougo Okita. The one who was smoking is Toushirou Hijikata and the gorilla-like is Isao Kondou. The three of them are working at the Shinsengumi, the police of this city, as the Captain, Vice-Commander and Commander.

I remembered seeing them on that day when the worm-like creature appeared once again.

"What? Is it that time of the month?" Kagura asked herself. She enveloped Okita's face with her hand and threw him all the way to those men who were having their meal.

"Yep, that was definitely Sougo at fault," I heard Hijikata say.

"Ow! What's wrong with you?" My eyes widened when I saw the three men pointing their swords at Okita.

"Ah, so you finally showed up, the Dojo challengers," one of them said. "You think with the seven of you, you can beat us? My, my, such audacity. But enough games, after all, we are the ones in charge of protecting the Yagyuu Family."

"Kitaouji Itsuki," the one with glasses and hair swept backwards.

"Minamito Sui," the red-haired one said.

"Nishino Tsukamu," a bald one.

"Toujou Ayumu," the man with light beige shoulder-length hair said, who looked like their leader. "Since you've dared to challenge the Yagyuu Top Four, do not expect to leave here alive."

"Huh? We're not here to fight you guys. Where's your master?" Gintoki asked. "Who are you people anyway? Is this your 100%? 100% strength? You're Yagyuu 100%?"

"You guys are just filthy trash, you can't just go in and see the master. You're not even fit to challenge us. Throw away your weapons or he will..." but before the red-haired one could even finish, the five of them really threw their weapons all the way to them as I put my weapon down.

My mouth hangs open on what they did. What if they hit Okita accidentally?

"Sil-chan, what are you doing?" Kagura asked when she noticed my spear beneath me.

"We should be asking that question to you, guys! What are you doing!" one of the Yagyuu Top Four said.

"You told us to throw it away," Gintoki answered. Of course, what would you expect from these people? They will do anything, literally.

"What kind of "throwing it away" was that? Don't you see the hostage?"

"Sorry, but that guy isn't worth it, even as a hostage," Hijikata said.

"Kill him, just kill him," Kagura even added that pissed Okita more.

"You bastards..." said Okita.

"Toujou-dono, let me get rid of them," the one with glasses said as he prepared to take his sword out. I also positioned myself so that I'll be able to get my spear easily when he attacks us.

"Stop this," a new voice said. "They are friends of my wife. Don't be so rude."

"Master!"

Someone dressed in a white coat with blue kimono underneath entered the room.

My eyebrows furrowed. Wife? I scanned the newly arrived one from its head to toe. Wife? A wife? Is she referring to Miss Otae? She's the only reason why we're here. But seriously, wife? Are they planning to have a same sex marriage?

She might look like a man outside but as a woman, I have the ability to know my own kind.

"You guys are here, I can't believe you are this stubborn, Shinpachi."

"I'm not here as a younger brother, I'm here as the headmaster of Koudoukan Dojo. Shimura Tae is an important disciple, and so, if you are going to take her away from us, you should have come and "negotiated" with me."

"Negotiate?"

"You know Kendo, and you know exactly what we're talking about," Kondo interfered. "Samurai don't talk it over. We settle things with our swords."

"Yep! You die and live by the sword, too," Okita also said. "And so..."

"You fight to get your women with swords," Hijikata continued.

"Come on and fight!" Kagura shouted.

"I only have a spear and I'm a knight, but I also possess a spirit similar to these Samurai." I picked up my spear and swirled it around with my finger.

---

"Wait what? Why am I going to be benched?" I asked them.

"They said it was a 6-on-6 battle," Gintoki answered.

"Can't they just pick someone from these crowd? You're only agreeing on them so that you'll be able to win the competition we set."

"Idiot, were you thinking? They offered that the excess would be led to the guest's room. Since you are a girl, I'm sure they'll lead you to where that female gorilla is. This is your chance to do some girls' talk to her," he whispered.

"Girls' talk?"

"You'll talk about men and other girly stuff."

"Why does it have to be me? I haven't talked to her--well, I did once--but I don't have any intention to talk to her again. She's very unpredictable. Why don't you send Kagura instead? She seems pretty close to her."

"Kagura doesn't know anything about love and marriage."

"But I've never been in love nor married."

"Just say anything, make things up. You're older and you look decent so she'll probably listen to you. Now, stop grumbling and talk to that crazy girl, knock some sense on her, okay?" It looks like I don't have any choice but to agree on his plan.

To settle things, the Yagyuus and the Koudoukan Dojo decided to do battle. They'll be up for a 6-on-6 battle. Each of them will be given a plate that will be broken by the opponents. Both teams have their leaders and they need to protect the plate of their leaders. The game will only stop and a winner will be determined if one of the team's leader's plates was broken.

What Gintoki said was true. They really led me to the place where Otae is. On our way there, we came across a little old man who had a plate tied on his forehead. I just nod at him.