Lesson 25

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

Lesson 25:
Don't get too close to someone if you don't want to get hurt

❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐ ❏ ❐ ❑ ❒ ❏ ❐

"How's your finding?" I placed the cookies I made on the table. I was busy baking it while they tried to examine the head earlier. It seems like it was a robot made to be a maid.

"It's hopeless. We won't make any money with her," Gintoki said.

"How about this? We could let people in the street who feel stressed-out punch her as much as they want," Shinpachi suggested.

"A pay-to-whack business? Sounds good, let's do that," Gintoki agreed with him.

I looked at them with my eyebrows almost meeting each other.

"Are you serious about that? No one will pay for that unless they have the same habits as you, idiot!" I exclaimed while pointing my finger at him and my eyes wide open.

"I'm in front of the Hayashi Research Institute, where the incident occured." Our attention shifted to the television. I heard Shinpachi saying that it is where Tama was created. I think he was referring to the robot.

"The murder victim, Dr. Ryuzan Hayashi, was a well-known robotic expert. He was also one of the developers of the robot housekeeper Etsuko," the reporter continued. "Based on the testimony of a witness, the magistrate's office is searching for the doctor's robot secretary... the Fuyo Unit Zero prototype is suspected to the murder."

An image of the robot we had inside the Yorozuya was flashed on the screen. "At this hour, Fuyo Unit Zero remains at large. This robot is extremely dangerous. If you see it, call the magistrate's office immediately. I repeat..."

My jaw dropped slightly. I then transferred my gaze to the Fuyo Unit Zero.

I heard them talking about what they heard. This robot is the one who killed his creator? But how can it happen? Unless they are some kind of android, they can't just make decisions, it's their master's will.

"Impossible!" Gintama exclaimed. "The piece of crap couldn't do anything that interesting! Anyway, there must be other robots with the same model number and face. In the first place, how could she murder someone when she's just a head?"

"It's possible that someone destroyed my body after I committed the crime," the robot surprisingly booted up and started to talk. "Unfortunately, I don't remember anything from before my head was separated from my body. But my model number is 1-0. It's written behind my ear. Please check it."

"She recovered without a resurrection spell," Gintoki said. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Resurrection spell?" I asked.

"Yes and it's something like rotten tuna," he answered my question.

"What?"

"Something that sounds like rotten tuna is the resurrection spell."

"What?"

"Tch," he inhaled before standing up and placed his face closer to mine to shout at me. "I said, her Resurrection Spell is something like rot--"

"I'm not rotten, you are!" I said and threw him to the ground. "What I want to say is why does this robot need a resurrection spell? As far as I can remember, this isn't a fantasy nor RPG world. You're supposed to press something on her."

"That's what we did earlier but she still shut herself down and asked us to say the resurrection spell, rotten--" He was still caressing his back when I threw him to the ground once again.

"Oi! If you want to wrestle each other, go find an appropriate ring!" I heard Miss Otose shout from the first floor.

"I'm sorry for what happened before. It seems there was an initialization failure. I've recovered now," Tama, the robot, interrupted.

"You make a lot of excuses, so did you kill the guy or not?" Gintoki asked.

"No, but I am lacking key memories, so I am stating my opinions based upon the available data."

"I'm not asking for your opinion. I'm asking whether you killed him or not. Search your memory more carefully, maybe you didn't find it because you assumed you didn't. What you're searching for may be right in front of your nose."

"Roger, I'm searching." Silence covered the room for a while. "Tama has searched the data. Surprisingly, she found horse manure."

"Hey, do you want me to sell you at a secondhand store?" Gintoki said as if he had enough with the robot.

"She's not fixed at all. It's not an initialization failure, it's more like socialization failure," Shinpachi added.

"I'm sorry. Is there a mechanical engineer around here?" the robot interfered. "I have a reserve data storage area in case of emergencies. But it's locked. If I can open it, I may be able to restore my memory."

"Locked memory?"
"We should have Gengai look at her again."
"..."

"I thought you already brought her to a mechanic?" I raised my eyebrow at them.

"Well... You see, Silvanna-san, we did bring her to a mechanic but you know that we're broke so..." A knock on the door interrupted Shinpachi.

"Open up! We're from the magistrate's office."

No one dared to say something.

"Open up! We'd like to ask you some questions. Your neighbor told us you're in possession of a suspicious robot."

I eyed them, asking what we were going to do.

Gintoki sighed and stood up. He was like that for a second before grabbing Tama. He calmly went towards the balcony in the back but when he reached his destination, he became aggressive in an instant and almost threw Tama if only Shinpachi didn't stop him.

"Gin-san, wait! Let's hear what they have to say first!" Shinpachi spoke.

"Are you kidding? At this rate, we'll be accused of murder, too!" Gintoki defended himself while trying to get rid of Shinpachi's hold. "Let me go! I'm going to get rid of her right now!"

"This equipment is cursed, you cannot get rid of it," the robot proclaimed.

"Don't tell me that! I can't remember equipping myself with a robot's head!"

"Go to the nearest church, or withdraw ¥30,000 from an atm and transfer the money to me."

"What kind of curse-breaking method is that?!"

"Gin-san, we're attracting attention. Hide her somewhere while I talk to them," Shinpachi said and made his way towards the door.

"Wait," the robot called Shinpachi. "It's safer if you don't speak to them. I detect no biological activity in two of the three visitors."