Advice - C5

Upon collecting her book Saturday morning, curling up in bed that same night. She had already spent hours agonising over the beauty of the cover continuously running her hands over it, whoever didn’t love the feeling of a new book, is completely insane. She paused at the chapter, closing the book to see how far through she was. About half way, that’s not bad for one day. She slipped in a scrap piece of paper, grabbing her phone to check the time. Almost 1am, she should probably settle down so she can get up early to begin again. But, first she should check her socials. She couldn’t rid herself of the constant humming of thoughts about the boys. She loaded up a network, immediately photos and videos loading up. The first one to load up was from Tetsurō, it was a video zooming in towards a window, the figure of Kenma grossly engaged with his game hunched on his chair. That’s kinda cute, and stalker-ish, maybe they live close with one another. She continued to scroll through the pictures and videos, liking them as she did, there were some of Taketora posing in her dinosaur scarf, which caused her to laugh softly, Sō posting pictures of Yūki concentrating hard on papers before him. She had forgotten what it was like to be a first year, not that at that point of her life she realised it was unnecessarily difficult. She went to turn off her phone but she hesitated glancing at her book, maybe one photo won’t hurt. She opened the app's camera opening the book as she held the camera up to make sure she got her entire set up in. Book, check. Fluffy blanket, check. Candle creating low light, check. She took a photo, posting it then immediately turned off her phone. What’s the worst that can happen? There was a buzz, then another, followed by two more. What’s going on? She slowly lifted her phone opening it up to the app, her eyes widening as she saw the comments and likes. A few of the boys had already liked it, Morisuke had even commented ‘better not let the secrets slip haha', followed by Tetsurō’s comment 'better not stay up any later'. He’s so serious but he’s so playful at the same time, he switches between the two so quickly. Yet compared to Morisuke, who definitely had a sweet complex, she had yet to see his serious side. She chuckled closing her phone as she settled in her bed, it kinda feels good to fall asleep knowing those two cared what she’s doing, if caring was the word. She reached over to blow out the candle, laying her head on the pillow closing her eyes. Hm, is this the distant feeling of care she remembered?
The following day, she spent hunched in several places around the house, head in her book. She glanced at the clock in the living room, midnight. Maybe she should call it a night. She lifted herself passing the kitchen, the sound of clattering catching her attention.
“Mum?” She whispered pushing the door open.
Her mother stood at the stove, with similar brown hair to Akasuki but instead reaching past her shoulders. She sniffed, taking in the smell of freshly made stew, that must be lunch for the boys' tomorrow. Her head turned, her jewel eyes glimmering at her,
“how's the book?”
Akasuki leaned against the door frame holding the book before her,
“it’s really good, I’ve got a couple chapters left.”
“Good honey,” she beamed gesturing for her to come over.
Akasuki slipped the book under her arm, joining her mother’s side looking down at the stove. She was right, it was stew.
“Wanna try?” Her mother grinned.
Duh, she nodded as her mother lifted a spoon to scoop some of the contents up to her lips. Wow, wow, Akasuki grinned up at her mother,
“this is amazing.”
“It's your father’s favourite meal,” her mother claimed with a smile, stirring the stew slowly, “I couldn’t sleep again, so I decided to cook something instead.”
Akasuki understood what she meant, though she didn’t understand how she felt exactly. She wrapped her arm around her waist resting her head against her shoulder,
“he’ll be back soon.”
There was a small hum in reply. Her father had a rather busy job in cities all over so he rarely had time to visit them, not that he wouldn’t if he couldn’t. He’s a family man, that’s one thing Akasuki knew about her father. He cared for her and her brothers, he did everything for them. Even if it meant going months without seeing them. But Akasuki could tell it affected her mother more than anyone else, she would often catch her mother up late at night or in the early morning. She glanced up at her, her face warm but a sadness deep in her eyes,
“he wouldn’t miss Reiji's spelling bee or Tatsuo's first football game of the season.”
“You’re right,” she whispered squeezing her, “how can you be so mature for your age?”
Akasuki shrugged chuckling, she forgot how to care about having fun a while ago, now all that mattered to her was her family.
“Oh,” her mother exclaimed suddenly, “your club, you mentioned it briefly the other day. Have you decided to join?”
Right, she did.
“I think I’m going to stay,” Akasuki admitted, “they’re really nice and the sport looks fun.”
“Good,” she claimed, “I haven’t seen any of your friends in a while, it’d be nice if you invited them over.”
“Maybe,” Akasuki whispered pulling away, friends, “I’m gonna get some rest.”
Invite them over? Ha, that’s insane.
“Sleep well honey,” she spoke ruffling her hair, “oh wait.”
Akasuki stood still as her mother moved away to pull something out of her bag,
“I got this for you,” she held out a tattered book with the word volleyball spread over it, “this is all I could find.”
Mum, Akasuki took the book from her hands, grinning,
“thank you, honestly, I love it.”
Her mother grinned,
“good, now you can head to bed.”
That’s so sweet of her. Akasuki hugged her before leaving the room, heading to her own. Who even would she invite? She can’t bring them all around, that’s too many. She closed her door quietly flopping down on her bed, opening the book to finish it. She’d have to think about it more.