Friends - C15

Akasuki stared at her new image in the mirror, the red dress lightly clinging to her hips, light brown boots, white socks peeking out with matching soft pink eyelids and carefully styled hair laying on her shoulders. This was certainly a new look for her.
“Mum, I’m done,” she claimed stepping out of the bathroom stall.
Her mother gazed at her, a grin spreading on her face,
“you look so cute!”
A smile spread on Akasuki’s lips,
“really?”
“Yes! This boy is gonna fall in love with you instantly,” she claimed eagerly.
Ha, that’s highly doubtful. Her phone started to ring, whose calling her right now? She glanced at the screen, Yaku? She glanced up at her mother who was curiously gazing at the screen. Maybe it was team stuff, she should answer. She accepted the call,
“hey,”
“Akasuki,” she pulled the phone away at Yaku’s whiny voice, “no one wants to meet us, come to the mall!”
“I’m already here,” Akasuki sighed, “what do you want?”
Yaku cheered through the phone,
“come meet us!”
“Meet us? Whose us?” Akasuki queried, glancing at her mother.
“Yūki and I,” Yaku explained.
Her mother nodded, mouthing,
“friends.”
She’s not wrong, she did tell Yamaguchi she was with friends and these guys could be her friends.
“Alright yeah, but I’m meeting someone else as well,” Akasuki claimed.
She bet they’re going to ask questions.
“Cool, give me your location, we’ll come to you,” Yaku insisted.
No questions? Well, Yaku is completely different to Kuroo and the others in that sense.
“Alright, be quick, see you soon,” Akasuki spoke hanging up, sending her location to Yaku.
“Who was that?” her mother smirked.
“Eh,” she slipped her phone into her pocket picking up her bag, “Yaku and Yūki, they’re on the team.”
“More boys?” she questioned curiously.
“Just friends,” Akasuki glared.
Her mother held her hands up defensively,
“you better be quick; you're meeting the other boy soon.”
Right, she shoved her original clothes into a separate shopping bag, hastily making her way to the door.
“Oh, honey,” her mother spoke.
Akasuki glanced back at her stopping in her tracks. Her mother held out a brown small paper bag she hadn’t noticed before,
“you asked for this after the party, I don’t know if you remember since you were hungover and it’s been a week, but here.”
Akasuki slowly took the bag peeking suspiciously inside. Wait what? She glanced up at her mother in shook, she’s joking right?
“Mum, this stuff is expensive,” Akasuki frowned.
“You deserve it,” she insisted, “I know last year was tough for you but you’re taking matters into your own hands, joining a club out of the blue, already meeting friends and a boy,” she smiled happily, “I’m so proud of you.”
Akasuki was more ambushed into the club but she understood what her mother meant.
“Thank you, mum, seriously,” she held the bag on her arm pulling her mum into hug, “I really appreciate it, if I can do anything to repay the cost, just tell me.”
Her mother nodded slowly before gently pushing Akasuki away,
“if you go meet this boy, I'll consider it.”
Right, Akasuki smiled with a nod,
“love you mum, I'll call you later!”
“Bye darling!” her mother called after her as she left the bathroom.
She didn’t remember asking for the headphones or the gaming device. When did she even do that? Fuck, it must’ve been after Kenma lent her some games for the boys.
“Hey Suki!” A voice shouted.
So loud, wow, she glanced around to see Yaku waving his arms towards her, there they are. She made her way over to him with a soft smile,
“hey hey.”
He was wearing washed jeans with a white tee tucked in finished with a black bomber jacket. Yaku took a step back gazing at her narrowing his eyes,
“you look,” he paused, “different.”
“Thanks,” Akasuki huffed glancing around, “where’s Yūki?”
Yaku turned around pointing to Yūki walking towards them with two ice creams in his hands,
“I told him I’d teach him the ways of the libero if he got me ice cream.”
Akasuki chuckled,
“are you?”
Yaku shrugged,
“I haven’t decided yet.”
He’s such a bully, using his powers as being older to get his way over the first years. Classic Yaku. Yūki approached them glancing up at Akasuki,
“oh, I would’ve gotten you one, but I didn’t know what you liked.”
“Don’t worry about it,” Akasuki insisted, despite her new craving for ice cream.
“So, where’s your friend?” Yaku asked curiously.
Akasuki glanced around the crowded mall, pulling out her phone, where is he? She was becoming nervous as the time grew closer. She gazed at her screen just as Yamaguchi's caller id came up. Oh, she answered bringing the phone to her ear,
“hello?”
“Hey,” his voice was quiet and cool, “we’re at the ice cream van.”
Akasuki turned towards the ice cream van Yūki had returned from, seeing a boy with similar stature to what she remembers of Yamaguchi,
“I think I see you,” Akasuki claimed.
“I’ll raise my arm,” he suggested, the figure lifting his arm.
That must be him then. Akasuki chuckled,
“It's you for sure.”
“Your turn,” he chuckled.
Akasuki raised her arm with a smile,
“see me?”
He glanced around before landing on her,
“I see you,” he gave a small wave, Akasuki returning one, “you want an ice cream?”
“Sounds like there’s a catch,” Akasuki joked.
“Nope, seeing you is a good trade,” he insisted.
That was kinda cute. She chuckled in response, catching the curious eyes of Yaku.
“Now please don’t run away,” he pleaded playfully.
“I won’t,” Akasuki insisted, “as long as you get the ice cream, I’ll stay.”
He chuckled,
“see ya in a sec,” he hung up.
Akasuki slipped her phone into her pocket not noticing the heat rising throughout her body. Yaku and Yūki were watching her intensively, Yaku smirking,
“who is he?”
How is she meant to tell him that she’s somehow managed to get the number of a rival team member to hang out with her? Oh shit, her eyes widened, he said he was also with friends, who was he with? Shit, she started to panic, should she just leave? No, that’s rude, fuck, she can’t do this.
“Hey,” Yaku spoke suddenly gripping her shoulder reassuringly, “we won’t tell the others about him.”
“Really?” Akasuki blurted.
That wasn't her main worry at this point. She wasn’t ready for this. Yaku nodded nudging Yūki who was distracted by his ice cream, glancing up to nod with Yaku.
“Is it you’re first time meeting him?” Yaku asked.
She shook her head, is he going to be angry that it’s someone on a rival team?
“So, you’ve been seeing this guy for a while?” Yaku pondered.
She shook her head, not at all. Yaku pouted in thought,
“strange,” he suddenly grinned, “well, me and Yūki will interrogate him to ensure he has the best intentions!”
“What?” Yūki breathed out frowning, “I can’t do that?”
Yaku turned to him,
“just do this,” he crossed his arms and furrowed his brows.
Yūki coped carefully avoiding dropping his ice cream. Akasuki laughed, it was funny watching Yūki try to be intimidating. Yaku didn’t need to try, despite his lack of height, he was kind of terrifying, well he kinda is the mother of the whole group so that made sense.
“Hey,” a gentle voice from behind Akasuki spoke.
Oh fuck, she slowly turned around becoming face to face with the spoken boy, it’s him. He smiled softly his freckles lifting on his face.
“Hey,” Akasuki spoke quietly.
He held out one of the ice creams in his hand,
“I got you vanilla, I completely forgot to ask,” his face became red, I can get you another if you don’t like it.”
“She doesn’t have a choice,” the boy stood behind Yamaguchi stated in his breath.
Oh my god, it’s him again. He was kinda scary. Akasuki turned her attention to the nervous boy before her taking the ice cream from his hand,
“good thing I like vanilla.”
“Really?” He exclaimed worried.
She nodded bringing the ice cream to her lips with a soft hum. This was good ice cream, wow. He grinned rubbing his neck,
“thank god, I got worried.”
Almost as if planned, the boy stood behind Yamaguchi and the two boys stood behind Akasuki cleared their throats. Yamaguchi nervously glanced behind her at the boys, before glancing her over,
“you look pretty.”
“thank you,” she glanced him over, he was wearing a soft toffee brown sweater with simple black trousers, “you look pretty too.”
The red in his face spread, he’s so nervous, thank god she wasn’t the only one. Akasuki glanced up at the boy behind Yamaguchi, she couldn't remember his name,
“hi.”
He narrowed his eyes at her glancing away. Friendly. Yamaguchi frowned,
“this is Tsukishima, my best friend,” he lightly shoved him, “Tsukki, this is Akasuki.”
Tsukishima slowly glanced down at Akasuki with a nod of acknowledgement immediately glancing away. Right okay, she should probably introduce the others.  She glanced back at the boys, Yaku had his arms crossed his eyes furrowed, while Yūki was still eating his ice cream. He probably recognises them, she gestured to Yaku then Yūki,
“Yaku, Yūki,” she gestured to Yamaguchi, “um, Yamaguchi.”
Yamaguchi lifted a nervous hand at them, she didn’t blame him for being cautious. Yaku moved beside Akasuki putting his arm around her,
“I’m her best friend.”
What is he on about? Akasuki shook her head, catching the smile on Yamaguchi’s face, did he find this amusing?
“What do you wanna do?” Yamaguchi asked quietly shifting foot to foot.
Right, neither of them had thought about that.
“Oh! Yūki and I wanted to check out the sports store!” Yaku exclaimed suddenly spinning around to charge off in a direction, grabbing Yūki's arm.
“And they’re off,” Akasuki murmured with a laugh, she gestured forward glancing at Yamaguchi, “coming?”
He nodded shoving Tsukishima forward, who glared at him before reluctantly walking ahead of the pair. What are they meant to talk about?
“So,” Yamaguchi spoke eating his ice cream, “how are you?”
“I’m good, tired though,” she licked her ice cream, “you?”
He nodded,
“you been up too much?”
“Just reading,” Akasuki admitted keeping her eyes on Yaku and Yūki curving through the crowds, “what about you?”
“Practice,” Yamaguchi claimed with a frown.
“So, no fun?” Akasuki chuckled.
He nodded glancing at her with a weak smile. Despite not actually being on the team itself, Akasuki knew that practice was harsh on the boys, especially the first years.
“Hey,” she reached out to softly touch his shoulder, his eyes meeting hers, “I can help you practice if want.”
His cheeks pinkened once again as he smiled thankfully at her,
“I’m meant to be helping you.”
She chuckled, that is why he asked for her number so he wasn’t wrong, but she didn’t want him to feel the pressure alone,
“I know I’m only a manager, and not even for your team, but I’m working on being more supportive.”
“You’re doing great,” he admitted.
She glanced at him noticing a small patch of ice cream smudged across his upper lip,
“oh,” she lightly tugged at his shoulder the pair halting as she reached up with her thumb wiping the smudge away, chuckling lightly, “you had some ice cream,” she lifted her eyes to meet his, wide and nervous, oh fuck, she shouldn't have done that, she pulled away, “sorry, I don’t know why I did that.”
Fuck Akasuki, that was such a mother thing to do. She turned to her side spotting Yaku watching with similar wide eyes, mouth gaping, he burst out into silent laughter through the glass. Akasuki furrowed her brows, muttering under her breath,
“such an idiot.”
A hand lightly touched her shoulder, Yamaguchi’s face appearing beside hers gazing at Yaku behind the glass, whispering to her,
“I think you saved me from embarrassment.”
Right, because that’s exactly what she was planning to do.
“But, why is he laughing?” Yamaguchi frowned glancing at her.
Akasuki groaned shaking her head,
“just ignore him, he’s acting like a kid.”
Yamaguchi nodded, his eyes suddenly widening as he noticed something within the store,
“look at those trainers!” he swiftly took her hand, ah!
What is he doing? He eagerly bounded into the store Akasuki behind him, he led her up to shelves trainers, beaming massively,
“they’re so pretty!”
She chuckled at his easily enlightened personality. Yuki appeared beside him pointing up to a scarlet red pair close to the top,
“whoa! Those are cool!”
Actually, he’s not wrong, a lot of things in this store was cool, she glanced around, and considering they’re in the sports store, maybe she should pick up her own clothes for training. She slipped her hand from Yamaguchi’s wandering towards the ladies' section, shifting through the clothes, but what exactly should she get?
“Hey,” Yaku called, Akasuki lifted her head to see him frowning, “where’s Yuki?”
Oh, she reluctantly made her way back to the shoes, Yaku following her.
“Training’s cancelled,” Yaku remarked.
“What?” Yuki exclaimed sadly.
Training’s cancelled? Why? It must be extreme for Kuroo to cancel out of the blue.
“Kenma’s sick,” Yaku explained.
“What?” Akasuki blurted, her lips moving faster than her mind, how did he get sick?
Did she give something to him? Oh fuck.
“He always gets sick after practice games, it’s strange,” Yuki shrugged.
Yuki nodded slowly glancing up at the trainers wishfully. And? Akasuki reached out to Yaku grabbing his shoulder,
“whose looking after him?”
Yaku shrugged,
“does it matter?”
Duh, if he doesn’t get better soon, it’s going to impact practice. She pulled her phone out, she should do something for him. Yaku frowned snatching her phone from her fingers,
“here comes the special treatment.”
What? Akasuki slowly looked up at him furrowing her brows, what did he say? Yaku furrowed his brows back,
“you heard me,” he started to move his lips more slowly, “you give Kenma special treatment.”
Does she? She doesn’t. Yaku scoffed at the confusion on her face, Yuki slid past Yamaguchi and Tsukishima watching the pair, standing beside Yaku,
“you kinda do, Suki.”
She frowned; did they seriously think that? Has she been neglecting the others more for her own selfish reasons?
“Do you like him or something?” Yaku growled.
What? Yamaguchi carefully moved over to the three, staring confused at Akasuki, rubbing his neck nervously,
“whose Kenma?”
“Ah, he’s,” she cleared her throat, “the team’s setter.”
He nodded slowly, lowering his gaze to the floor,
“and you like him?”
Fuck.
“No,” Akasuki answered half-heartedly, “I don’t.”
He lifted his head, his eyes weakly meeting hers, his lips piercing as if he’s trying to hold back from speaking, until he suddenly blurted his words out,
“I believe you.”
“Thank you,” Akasuki whispered, she glanced at Yaku and Yuki, “I’m sorry if I seemed like I was giving him special treatment, I’ll sort it out.”
A sly grin spread on Yaku’s face,
“I was only joking with you.”
This idiot, she reached out shoving him,
“you’re such a dork! I thought you were angry at me!”
Yaku gripped her arms, laughing hysterically, playfully holding her back,
“aw Suki, we could never be angry at you.”
She highly doubted that, the time just hasn't come yet. She grumbled at him, Yaku dropping her arms, she went to shove him again as a warning but Yaku grabbed Yuki yelling at him,
“run!” the pair sprinted towards the exit.
Akasuki sighed heavily closing her eyes, why does she let herself become so easily riled up by these boys?
“Akasuki,” she opened her face to see Yamaguchi standing before brushing his hair from his eyes, “I really want to go out again, maybe just, the two of us next time?”
He still wants to see her? After that small commotion over another boy?
“Is that okay?” he whispered.
She needed to stop giving special treatment to Kenma, maybe this was the best way. She nodded,
“If you’re able to forgive me for whatever that was.”
Yamaguchi nodded with a smile,
“you should probably take care of him though, a setter getting sick isn’t good,” her eyes scanned his sincere expression, he’s so caring, even when it’s not his own team, “I can help you find the essentials if you want?”
Really? He’d do that for her? Yamaguchi held his hand out her nervously rubbing his neck, maybe he does genuinely like her. She slowly lifted her hand slipping it into his,
“please.”
After scourging the stores for essential items that can improve someone’s health, the five of them stood outside the mall glancing up at the evening sky. Yuki was the first to get collected waving at the four eagerly, then Yaku, then Tsukishima and Yamaguchi’s ride pulled up. This is them. Yamaguchi turned to Akasuki, smiling softly,
“you haven’t changed your mind about next week, have you?”
She shook her head, not at all, she needed to try this. He went to step back but Tsukishima permitted him from moving. Suddenly, Yamaguchi staggered forward, Akasuki catching him before he fell, whoa, she lifted him steadily to his feet, her hands on his waist,
“fun trip?”
He blushed looking away,
“yeah.”
She chuckled, she thinks she knew what happened, glancing up at Tsukishima watching the pair a tiny smirk on his face, she thought so. She stepped into Yamaguchi, her arms snaking around his waist, hugging him softly. His arms carefully wrapped around her. That’s what he wanted.
“I’ll see you next week,” Akasuki whispered pulling away with a smile.
Yamaguchi nodded avoiding her eyes as he hastily climbed into the car. Now this guy,
“hey,” Akasuki spoke catching glasses’ attention, “it was nice meeting you.”
He nodded roughly ducking into the car, a boy of many words. She watched the car drive off, now it was her turn to leave, she pulled out her phone, plugging in her new headphones as she started to walk, loading up an audio book.