Picking up the pieces - Chap 67

A loud snort left Akasuki as she leant back in her chair, covering her mouth,
“I can’t believe I forgot that you did that!”
Damien chuckled loudly taking a sip of his practically empty frothy drink,
“you just reminded me of it,” he shook his head smiling, his pinks red from the amount of alcohol he had consumed, “your laugh is horrendous.”
“Yet,” she leaned onto the table with a smirk, her body buzzing from her intake of booze, “you smile every time you hear it, why?”
Damien matched her leaning, inches from her face,
“maybe it’s, because, I like the way your lips curve when you laugh, how your eyes close like a crescent moon,” lifting his fingers to caress her cheek, Akasuki resting against it, “something about you is,”
“Annoying?”
“Addictive,” he finished brushing his thumb over her lips, “addictive Akasuki,”
“Ah, sorry to interrupt, we’re now closing,” a waitress beamed nervously.
Akasuki nodded with a grin as she scooped her coat over her body,
“thank you!”
Damien copied yet simply gave the waitress a nod as he escorted Akasuki, arm in arm out of the bar.
“How did you even get fake ids?” Akasuki wondered glancing back at the waitress now locking the doors.
“I know people,” he chuckled, “it’s pretty simple.”
Akasuki scoffed leaning into him for warmth, looking up at the moon above them,
“you never were simple Damien."
“Is that a bad thing?” he pondered, laughing.
No. Not at all.
“That’s why were such a good match,” Damien spoke slowly watching her eyes as she still stared at the moon, “but I guess you feel differently as you’ve, moved on,” he had stopped moving now, Akasuki kept her eyes on the moon.
“Do you remember that night?”
“You have to be specific,” he shook his head laughing, “we had a lot of nights together.”
“The night you almost died,” Akasuki spoke, examining the glowing moon.
Damien didn’t respond but she could feel his fingers tense on her waist.
“I remember every second,” Akasuki whispered, “I was so terrified,” she chuckled weakly, “I thought I had lost you, and that was the scariest part,” she turned to him, tears in eyes, “after everything you did to me, I, I was the one scared of losing, you,”
“Akasuki,”
She laughed, a tear dripping from her eyes,
“you hurt me to the core, yet I didn’t want to live without you,”
“but you did,”
“I did, but,” she let out a small sob, “here we are again Damien, a pair of heart broken, toxic teenagers that can’t let go of one another,” she wiped her nose on her sleeve, “sometimes I wish it had been me, it, would’ve saved so many people from pain,”
“I,”
She covered his mouth shaking her head, watching his clueless eyes stare at her,
“sometimes you’re prettier when you’re quiet,” he reached up to slowly move her hand away carefully, leaning down before her lips.
“It’s funny,” he whispered, “I remember that night for so many other reasons,” he stroked her hair gently, “you confessed your feelings to me, and I made a joke,” she remembered the joke, “I asked if you could see yourself marrying a guy like me,” he chuckled, his hot breath flushing over her lips, “you said,”
“no,”
“exactly, that’s how I had made up my mind,” he loosely pecked her lips, “you were going to be mine, no matter what,” Akasuki lifted her lips to meet his roughly, Damien returning the power.
No matter what. He really made that decision? Yet he denies ever loving her, how did it make sense to him? It surely didn’t to her. Nothing made sense with Damien. It never did. Will it ever?
“Damien,” Akasuki breathed pulling away lifting his hands in hers, “I’m sorry.”
He slowly smiled at her, pressing a soft kiss against her forehead,
“when will you learn, we’re in this together.”
-Scars-
Her fingers ran over Damien’s collar bone, nails lightly tugging at the skin,
“tonight was,” strange,
“Different,” Damien whispered, lifting his hand to Akasuki’s, rising them both into the air, “it felt like the old days,” it unfortunately did.
She glanced to their hands, hers looking comparatively smaller than his, how long has it been since spending quiet time with him? Her eyes caught the dip of skin on his hand where the scar had healed completely. She remembered it like yesterday. How did she ever forget it?
“I love that,” Damien quietly remarked, his voice husky and warm, he loved it?
Akasuki ran her finger over it, a smile spreading on Damien’s face,
“do you remember that day?”
“Yeah,” Akasuki whispered, everything.

Rays shone through the branch’s casting striped shadows against Akasuki’s sunbathing body. It’s been an unusually warm summer, she was making the most of it while she could. There was a distant growl as she shifted unknowingly, the growl deepening as she did. Hm? Akasuki slowly opened her eyes to a shadow casting over her. Where did the sun go? She sat up, eyes widening at the sight before her. Two big amber eyes were staring her, yellow teeth baring all as they preyed on her. Holy shit. Is the dog fucking rabid? What should she do? Oh fuck. Panic overtook her body as she froze in the spot, focusing on nothing but the dog. Yet, the dog knew what it wanted. Her. Violence. As the dog leapt for her, her vision blurred plunging her into darkness as there were animalistic winces and growls. What, what happened?
“Are you alright?”
Who? Who was that? Akasuki lifted her head, a warm expression gazing over hers,
“I,”
He held out his hand, a smile on his face,
“let me look at you.”
Of course. Akasuki didn’t deny, letting the boy take her hand examining her as a whole. Was she okay?
“You’re okay,” he insisted sweetly, right.
Akasuki nodded, as she nodded, she noticed crimson dripping from his hand onto her pale thigh. Holy fuck, she instinctively grabbed his hand clamping her hands around the wound, he’s hurt,
“hospital, we need,” she lost her breath, “hospital,” what, what if it gets infected?
A unexpected laugh let his lips as he placed his other hand upon hers,
“it’s just a scratch,”
“A scratch?” Akasuki blurted, it looked like a bloody puncture!
“Yep,” he proudly smirked, “especially worth it for you,” for, her?
What did that mean?
“I spent the night in and out of consciousness,” Damien chuckled.
“Stupid, you wouldn’t go to the hospital so you lost a lot of blood,” Akasuki sighed.
“Like i said then, worth it,” worth it.
Was it ever worth it?