Where do words start? - Chap 75

The end of match day arrived rather quickly as Akasuki followed in her father's shadow, his intent unclear. They were amazing out there, truly amazing, Akasuki's eyes would not budge from their consistent and synchronised movements. Truly memorizing.
"Ah, there they are," her father chimed happily, huh, what?
Her eyes lifted from the ground to meet the team striding in their direction, oh shit. They hadn't noticed them yet allowing Akasuki to dive behind the closest cover. Classic kid shit.
"Boys, it's good to see you," her father claimed out loud, the smile practically screaming on his face, "and even better to watch you play."
Oh shit, shit.
"Oh, Mr Au," Kuroo remarked equally as happy, "thank you for coming, we appreciate it."
Shit, shit. What is she going to do?
"Anything for you boys," her father insisted, before quietening down.
Why is he quiet? It's suspicious.
"Kenma's gone to the bathroom," Yaku admitted.
Kenma's not with them? Does that, maybe, mean, she slowly stepped out lowering her head, she can take one step at a time. First these guys.
"Suki," So spoke out in a low tone.
It feels different when they say her name now. Why? Her father carefully pushed her forward to them, seriously? Stepping back as he gestured towards the gym,
"I'm gonna speak with the coach, take your time," classic dad, pushing her into situations where she needs to confront the issue.
She lifted her head, the silence beginning to bother her,
"guys, I'm so,"
The words never left her lips as a large hand grabbed her shoulder sternly yanking her body forward, hang on what is happening?
"I offered you my help, why didn't you take it?" Kuroo muttered holding her head firmly against his chest, why, didn't she take it.
She, hm,
"I was so scared he'd do something to you guys," Akasuki muttered trying to hold back the sudden tears, scared, no, more like terrified.
"You need to stop thinking you're the only one who can handle shit like that," he's not wrong, "when are you going to accept the fact, we're here for you."
When? That's a good question. 
"Captain," So grumbled, "why are you hogging her?"
Kuroo scoffed shaking his head,
"whatever," he stepped back, peeling her face from his chest, Akasuki gazing sadly at him, what was she supposed to say, sorry wasn't going to cut it anymore.
"Does this mean," she cleared her throat keeping Kuroo's eyes, "we're still friends?"
"Akasuki," Kuroo sighed, "look around," she glanced around at the boys watching her, "we never stopped."
They never stopped. They were always, it was her who stopped.
"Yeah?" She whispered, her lips quivering.
Kuroo nodded,
"yeah."
It was as if half the weight had been lifted from her shoulders, Akasuki releasing a deep breath,
"thank you."
"And Suki," Yaku interrupted reaching out to her with his hands, "I'm so sorry for the things I said, and what I did."
A small laugh escaped her lips as she attempted to reach out for his hands,
"it's okay, you were just trying to help."
Yaku nodded as he tightened his hands around hers, smiling softly,
"tried and failed."
"It’s probably because you're short," Lev piped up.
Immediately Yaku had drawn himself away from Akasuki to charge at Lev, who had started to sprint away yelling over his shoulder,
"bye Suki!"
She laughed shaking her head, she missed this,
"thank you, for everything, honestly."
"Just, please don't leave us again," Yūki quietly pleaded.
Never again. Never.
"Did you open Kenma's," she felt her heart swell at the mention of him, "present?" So interrogated.
She nodded.
"What was it?" He continued to interrogate stepping forward.
"It's, private," Akasuki whispered stepping back from So with a small chuckle.
"Suki," a quiet voice erupted abruptly from behind the group. 
Oh fuck, her feet solidifying to the floor, eyes widening as the voice curled into her ears. She knew that voice, she could pick it out of a crowd any day,
"Kenma," slowly turned around to face him, taking in his fragile expression with dimmed eyes.
All she could hope for was for him to accept her apology. The pair stood metres from one another, staring, taking in the presence of the other. It's been so long. His,
"Your hair," the words left her lips like dust before she could catch them, his roots had grown out leaving only a couple of inches left of the blond.
"Your hair," Kenma copied his eyes growing sad.
She hadn't been dying it or touching it up, she's just left it to grow into a dull colour.
"Okay," Kuroo muttered abruptly letting out an exaggerated, "so, let's address the elephant in the room."
Yaku had returned dragging Lev by his collar, groaning with clear disappointment in Kuroo.
"How long?"
Neither of them blamed him for being curious.
"Not long," Kenma whispered.
Akasuki nodded in agreement, it was sad to admit it was over. 
"And how far?" So cheekily remarked.
"That's disgusting," Yaku grunted.
"Coming from you," Lev muttered, soon to receive a furious glare from Yaku.
Right and with that,
"can we talk?"
Kenma nodded glancing around for a moment,
"outside?"
She nodded. The pair split off from the boys, taking a seat upon a bench outside. Akasuki rubbed her hands together bringing them to her legs, how should she start this?
"you were great today." 
"Thanks," he weakly smiled catching her eye, "I, we, weren't sure if you would come."
She loosely chuckled,
"well you got me," her laughter fading into a soft sigh, "I wanted to be down there with you guys," she pulled at her sleeves muttering, "but I don't deserve to be amongst you, them even,"
"Akasuki,"
"I guess, what I'm saying is," she turned to face him, "I'm sorry."
His lips curled into a small smile,
"It's equally my fault,"
Now looking closely at him, she could see the darkened circle under his eyes and the fatigue in his face. As if skipping the bad chapters of a book, Akasuki instinctively reached out cupping Kenma's face, his body becoming frozen,
"you're meant to rest more when you train intensely," she explained quietly.
Oh shit, it was like she had forgotten everything that she had done.
"Suki," Kenma breathed out, lifting his hand to cup hers nuzzling against her palm, "I've missed your touch."
Heat flooded into her cheeks, there was no point hiding the truth now,
"is it okay for me to," she gulped nervously turning to a whisper, "come back to you?"
Kenma adjusted his seating position so he was facing Akasuki. Reaching over to lightly tug her jumper,
"I want you," she took his guidance leaning in closer to him, face's inches apart as he began to speak once more, "to return to me like a check point in a game,"
"Kenma," her voice shook at the thought of his permanent position in her life, "I,"
He reached behind to pull her sharply into his chest, stroking her hair as he whispered,
"it's my turn to hold you," Kenma.
She lowered her head closing her eyes as she listened to the fast beating of his heart.
"Thank you," she whispered against his shirt.
Abrupt thumping from the windows close to them caused each of them to lift their heads. The boys excitedly knocking the palms against the glass with large grins.
"Complete embarrassments," Kenma murmured turning his face away.
Akasuki chuckled pulling away from his chest to wipe her under eyes.
"Are you crying?" Kenma immediately asked, eyes wide.
"No," Akasuki insisted, "no, far from," she grinned stupidly looking into her lap, playing with his fingers, "I'm really happy."
"Me too," Kenma whispered.
"Does this mean you're coming to the family get-together?" Akasuki asked, hopeful.
"I never planned not to," he admitted, "I want to meet everyone whose ever had an impact on your life."
"We'll see about that," she laughed, "maybe the others can come."
"If they behave," Kenma suggested weakly falling silent, "I'll ask them."
Someone cleared their throat behind the pair, Akasuki lifting her eyes to meet her father's.
"Good to see you again Kenma, how are you?" Her father asked.
So awkward. Kenma glanced at Akasuki briefly before grinning up at him,
"I'm great, how are you?"
Why, why does his smile have to be so bright?
"Well," he started shoving his hands in his pockets, "apart from a miserable teenager and two monsters. I've been great."
Kenma's smile faded slightly as his grasp on her fingers tightened,
"I'm trying, Mr Au, I'll try even harder just for her."
"Confidence," he chuckled shaking his head, "we'll have a real talk one day when you've both older."
A real talk? Kenma nodded seeming to understand his words.
"Akasuki," her father spoke, "we gotta roll, busy evening as you know."
Right. He glanced between the pair, Akasuki glaring at him as he just stood in silence.
"Right," he lifted his hands, "meet you at the car," he smirked striding away.
So awkward.
"Can I call you tonight?" Kenma asked squeezing her hand.
"I'd love that," Akasuki grinned squeezing his hand back, sliding off the bench, smiling at him, "thank you for listening, I hope to tell you everything soon."
Kenma stood from the bench with a nod,
"I'd like that but take your time okay?"
She nodded stepping back waving at him,
"see you."
"See ya."