32

Flash Back~~

You went to the police station for any updates in Hyewon’s case. But the officers rather seem ignorant about it. Now there’s only one person that you can talk to.

“Hello, Heechul. Can we meet now?”

“I was waiting for your call”

~~~~~

“Why is everyone suddenly showing their back to me? Baekhyun, Dr. Jongsuk, Mrs. Byun!! Everyone is hiding something to me. It’s killing me” you say in frustration.

“Y/N, today I will be honest with you. Remember the last time we met like this to talk about Hyemi? I told you that she is nice and polite. But she was only nice and polite to others, not me. She strangely used to avoid me back then but I didn’t know why. But recently I found out that Hyemi is Lee Minju aunt's daughter. She used to live next to us. My family was very poor and my sister was ashamed of this. She didn’t want to be known as poor so she left us to take her own path. Mom and Dad both used to work. So Minju aunt looked after me. After a few years Noona called me and said she’ll take responsibility of my education in abroad and asked us to send a trustable person to look after her son. So we sent Minju aunt to her house” Heechul explains.

You can’t believe how things were so fucked up from the start. You take a sip of your coffee and continue to listen to him.

“My family came back from abroad knowing Mr. Byun was murdered. But we couldn’t just go around saying we’re Mrs. Byun's family. She told everyone before that she doesn’t have any family. Surprisingly, aunt Minju took her own life shortly after that incident. She was accused of theft, messing with Baekhyun’s health by giving unprescribed pills and adultery. I know that she can never do such things. That time I saw my sister’s true face. Now because of her sins, her son is also suffering”
“What goes around, comes around ” you say with a sigh.
“Yeah. I went to aunt's memorial and met Hyemi there. Her real name is Bella. She was sent to an orphanage after her mother’s death. I went there a couple of times but she never met anyone from outside. Few years later I got to know that she no longer lives there” he says.
You stay silent for a while. “I want to ask you something… is… Hyemi related to my sister’s… accident?” you ask, holding your breath.
Heechul nods pitifully. Tears start rolling from your eyes. You avoid his gaze trying to stop these damn tears.
“Does Baekhyun know about it?”
“I don’t know. Even Noona isn’t picking up my calls. I hope she is okay. Anyways, I have to get going now, we will talk later” Heechul says, offering you a handkerchief.
~~~~~
You are sitting with Jiwoo. She is telling you how she feels about random things. She was laughing a few seconds ago, now she is crying. You pat her back gently to comfort her.
Jiwoo takes out a handkerchief to wipe her tears. It is embroidered with beautiful April flowers and the letter B at a side. It looks awfully familiar to you. You take out the handkerchief that Heechul lent you. As you thought, it has the same April flower but the letter is H instead.
“Jiwoo, is this your handkerchief?”
“No” she says and continues to cry.
“Who gave it to you and when?” you ask.
“Baekhyun oppa lent it to me when I ran away from here”
“It’s very precious to him” you say bluntly.
She stops crying and looks at you.
“No, I tried to give it back to him but he said it’s not for him at the first place”
‘Was it Bacon? If Baekhyun’s handkerchief is with Jiwoo then whose handkerchief was at the murder spot!?’
You call Heechul immediately.
“This handkerchief of yours... Did aunt Minju give it to you?”  you ask without even greeting.
“How did you know?”
~~~~~

[Present time]
Hyemi calls you from behind.
“That handkerchief… Do you have the other one…?”
“Oh the one you left at the murder spot?” you ask.
She stays quiet for a moment. She looks around then looks at your hand.
“Are you trying to threaten me?”
‘Mrs. Byun has that handkerchief. She is missing and no one knows why she’s not in her own son’s engagement. Now Hyemi will go to Mrs. Byun to get the handkerchief for sure. Then Heechul will track her down’ you thought.
“Am I? But tell me something, why is this handkerchief so important to you? Because you left it in the murd-”
“No” Hyemi cuts you off. “You think I am afraid of getting caught?? Not at all. This is my mom’s memory... My mom sewed a handkerchief for me. But because her boss couldn’t come to his son’s birthday, mom gave it to his son saying ‘Your dad has sent it for you' That’s why I hate Baekhyun more, that ungrateful shit, I was so angry about it. So my mother made another one for me… I know that you know about me a lot and I know you are trying to save Baekhyun…”
“No, you are here for revenge. I am also here for revenge… for my sister against you”
“Your… sister…??” she mutters in confusion.
“STOP ACTING!” you yell.
“I know you caused the accident. What was my sister’s fault in all this?” Hyemi looks at you in confusion.
“I… don’t know… what you’re talking ab-”
“Enough.. that handkerchief… it’s with Mrs. Byun. But you have to pay for what you’ve done to my sister” you say and leave from the place.
Hyemi was confused.
‘How am I related to her sister’s murder…? Is Mrs. Byun playing another nasty game? That wicked bi*ch! For now I have to marry Baekhyun as soon as possible’
~~~~~

You get out of the washroom and signal Heechul to follow Hyemi. You try to hold back yourself from bursting out in anger. You’ll leave the party soon, the ring exchange ceremony is too much to bear.
You take long breaths to calm yourself and about to leave the party.
“Did you enjoyed the food?” Baekhyun asks from behind.
You turn around to face him.
“Yeah, it was delicious” you say as you try to leave.
But he blocks your way. He pulls your left hand up and suddenly shoves a ring around your ring finger. Your jaw drops in shock.
“The ring perfectly fits your finger…… Should I put it on Hyemi like this?” he asks. The last sentence just stabbed your heart.
You look at your hand.
“Byun Baekhyun…… know your limits” you say, pushing him away.
“You should also know your limits when flirting with my friend”
“Why do you even care?”  you ask as you pull out the ring and throw it at the face. All guests are looking at you two and whispering with each other.
“You are….” you try to say but brace yourself and walk out of the house quickly. Baekhyun goes after you.
When you almost reach your car, Baekhyun pulls you by your wrist and makes you face him.
“Why are you making this so hard for me?” he asks.
“Me!? How can I make anything hard for you? Do we have anything between us? Who am I to you!?” you yell.
Baekhyun stands still, unable to answer you. He is feeling weak. So weak that he wants to rest his head on your shoulder. He can’t take the burden anymore.
‘Are you tired?’ he feels his inner self asking him.
‘Tell her, who she is to you! Tell her, who you are and rely on her’
“I can’t” he mutters.
“What?”
‘Bacon you are like little Baekhyun, you need someone to comfort you’
Tears start falling from Baekhyun’s eyes.
“Why didn’t you think why that ring fits you so perfectly?” he asks.
Your eyes widen.
“Why didn’t you think maybe that ring is for you!” he asks again, his voice cracking.
“I am trapped… I need you… I feel weak… I am scared, I don’t want you to suffer… like Minju aunt… I am sorry… You were right… I am like baby Baekhyun after all”
‘Baby Baekhyun… Bacon!!’
“Bacon?” you call.
He looks up at you with teary eyes.
*smack*
You slap him really loud.
He looks at you surprised.
You can’t hold back yourself and hug him immediately. “You jerk!”
“Can I kiss you??” you ask. He quickly nods.
You break the hug and face him.
“I am sorry” he whispers before leaning in for a kiss.
You missed him. You missed him so much. You cup his face and let your tongue roam in his mouth. He holds you up and makes you sit on the fort of the car between your kiss.
Hyemi witnesses all this.
‘I hate you Baekhyun!!! How can you still tolerate your mother’