You're first

"So...do you remember the girls faces you've received gifts from?" You lower your strawberry milk carton besides Kageyama's milk carton. He takes a bite of chocolate from one of the gift bags and shakes his head.

"I told them right then and there that I won't be giving them anything on White Day."

You lightheartedly laugh under your breath, shaking your head. "Of course you did." Kageyama extends the box of chocolates to you but seeing chocolate right now is the last thing you want to eat. "You can have it. They got it for you."

Kageyama lowers his eyes to the box of chocolates and murmurs something under his breath. You barely catch it. "Yours taste better than store bought."

Raising your eyebrow, you lean forward from the picnic table. "What did you just say Kageyama? Was that a compliment just now?"

His eyes widen briefly, alarmed that you heard his hushed whisper. He pretends to furrow his brows together and extends his hand to gently push your head back. "No." Kageyama responds with clench teeth.

A warm laughter erupts from your lips and the sound calms yours and Kageyama's nerves. "You're never truthful to yourself Kageyama. Do you not like complimenting others? Is there a reason for it?"

Kageyama casts his eyes down to the chocolate box, his lips tightly sealed. He's just not comfortable with flattering someone else with words. Talking in general isn't a strong point for him. If he had to pick between talking or physically showing what's on his mind, he'd choose the latter.

"It's just weird. You should know that by now."

"I do. But, it would be nice to hear you say something nice to me once in a while. Otherwise I'd feel like you're just using me to keep you company." Her words falter a bit from her last sentence. She wears a deep frown when her mind lingers back to depressing thoughts.

Kageyama feels a moment of panic when he sees Y/L/N's fallen face.

Damn her for making him feel anxious like this.

"If that were the case, I'd just spend time alone Y/L/N. You can say some mean things too, you know?" Kageyama pulls her cheek out of irritation.

You're thrown off by Kageyama's slight 'affection'. This kind of anger is different from the others. It's the kind of anger over a friend.

"You're right. You prefer to be alone most of the time. Thank you for allowing me this time slot." You make a light joke and feel his fingers release their hold on your cheek. He scoffs and raises the milk carton straw back to his lips. Despite being angry, he doesn't look intimidating when he's holding the milk carton.

A smile curls on your lips when you look at him. "You look like an upset child Kageyama. It's kind of cute and funny to see."

Hearing Y/L/N call him cute and funny causes him to choke on the milk he's swallowing. He lowers the milk carton down and narrows his eyes on her. "You're teasing me a bit too much right now Y/L/N."

"Sorry. I shouldn't tease you to distract myself from my shattered heart." She speaks a bit sarcastically, a pained smile on her face. She glances over to her phone and notices the time.

You couldn't stay outside forever. Eventually, you have to head back to your apartment to get some rest. You only hope Yachi isn't there. Collecting your trash together, you stand up and walk over to a garbage and recycling bin and toss your empty food inside. Running your fingers through your hair, you look up to Kageyama.

"I should head back. Thank you for keeping me company today Kageyama." You muster to form a small smile to him. He quietly looks at you, his eyes look distracted as his mind tries to piece together a reply.

He's really struggling to say something.

Not wanting to make him feel pressured to find the correct words to say, you raise a hand up to say bye. The moment you turn your back to him is when he snaps out of his thoughts. He reaches for your wrist to stop you. Your wavering eyes stare at his hand before you move your gaze upwards to his dark blue eyes.

"Call me if you need anything." He speaks with a serious face that then falters when he casts his eyes to the side. He scrunches his nose slightly and you notice the tip of his ears redden. A genuine smile plasters on your face.

That must've took everything he had in him to say.

With your free hand, you gently place it over Kageyama's extended one. You give his hand a gentle squeeze and nod your head. "What if I call during your practice?"

"Then I'll stop." Kageyama raises his eyes back over to you. He replies quickly with a stern look. "I know it's surprising but I know what to prioritize first. You come first before volleyball Y/L/N." His low voice meets your ears and you feel a moment of paralysis.

You couldn't believe your ears.

Kageyama said something really surprising and it seems like the two of you are both shocked. An awkward silence fills the conversation and you two frantically pull your hands back to your sides.

Your cheek lightens a shade pink while you tuck your hair behind your ear. "I must be really special if THE Kageyama puts me first over his love of volleyball." You lighten the air between you and Kageyama stifles in his spot.

"Whatever. Just get home safely." Kageyama mutters with a scowl on his face, he forces one hand into his pocket.

Giggling, you raise your hand to say goodbye again before turning your back to him.

You're first, huh?