You're a good guy

"Hinata!" Kageyama calls out to the boy from his apartment door. He tries to keep his voice down to not disturb the other attendants that live on the same floor. The sound of the elevator 'dings' and Kageyama turns around to see who it is.

Speak of the devil, the person he is looking for just stepped out.

Hinata panics the moment he steps off the elevator. "K-K-Kageyama! What are you doing here? Suga told me you were hanging out with Daichi and...and Y/L/N." Hinata whispers the last part.

"We just parted ways not long ago. Open the door, let's talk inside." Kageyama wastes no time getting straight to the point. He impatiently taps his foot on Hinata's apartment door.

Hinata bites his bottom lip, sweat starting to litter his forehead.

He's not exactly ready to talk about their conversation aloud.

Hinata fishes for his apartment key in his pocket and walks towards his front door, unlocking the door. Kageyama walks himself inside before Hinata gets the moment to step aside to let him in.

"Eager, much?" Hinata nervously speaks up when he enters after Kageyama.

"I want this over with as much as you do. This conversation as a whole is awkward." Kageyama mutters under his breath, sitting himself down on the sofa of the small living room. Hinata's apartment is just a mirror of Kageyama's. A small studio apartment with all the rooms compacted together on one floor.

Hinata walks over to his fridge and grabs out two bottles of green tea. He extends the other one to Kageyama who quietly takes it from him without saying a 'thank you'. Hinata timidly sits next to Kageyama. His fingers nervously tremble. He grips tightly onto the bottle to subside the trembling.

"Are you really okay if I tell Y/L/N how I feel?" Kageyama speaks in a low voice. His eyes downcast to the bottle in his hand. Hinata forgets his nervousness for a second when he sees the serious expression Kageyama wears. "If I'm being honest here, I don't know if I'll have the courage to tell her. What if she doesn't like me? Or what if she isn't ready to fall in love again?"

"You've waited this long, haven't you? Hinata speaks softly. His eyes soften when he looks at Kageyama's conflicted expression. "How long have you waited to be exact? I'm curious."

Kageyama turns his head slightly to look at Hinata. He purses his lips, debating whether or not if he should tell Hinata the entire story. But there's no use in hiding this fact from him. He runs his calloused slender fingers through his jet black hair. His bangs effortlessly falls over his eyes and he sighs.

"Three years." Kageyama answers curtly. "Three long years..." He leans his back against the sofa and stares at the ceiling above him. He scrunches his nose innocently and a smile curls on his lips when he thinks back on the day he ran and hid in the bathroom. Hinata raises an eyebrow when he sees such a gentle expression on Kageyama.

He involuntarily shivers. "You oddly look cool when you're smiling like that. It makes me upset." Hinata pouts, whispering more to himself than to Kageyama.

Kageyama reverts back to the scowl on his face when he shoves Hinata in the shoulder.

"I guess I should tell you when I realized my feelings for her." Kageyama purses his lips, brows knit together.

"You don't have to. I don't think my heart can handle it. I'm still trying to recover from the relationship too." Hinata places a hand over his chest, gripping his shirt tightly. A frown etches onto his face. "I think that's something you should tell her yourself. Don't leave a single detail out."

A silence looms over the two. They're both in their own thoughts, going through polar opposite emotions.

"This won't break our friendship, will it?" Kageyama is the one to speak up again. Hinata is taken aback from the nervous expression Kageyama wears. "I don't like to admit this but, I guess you could call yourself my best friend. You've annoyingly stuck by my side for four years now."

A grin forms on Hinata's face when he hears Kageyama's feelings about their friendship. Kageyama quickly regrets it when Hinata laughs wholeheartedly, a wide smile plastering on his face.

"So you do see me as your best friend! I'm so honored! I should scream it out to the whole world!" Hinata cannot contain the happiness he feels. Kageyama blushes slightly, avoiding Hinata's smirk.

"I shouldn't have told you. Now you're big headed about it." He grumbles. Hinata calms himself down and places a hand on Kageyama's shoulder, gently squeezing him. "To answer your question. No, this won't break our friendship. As much as it will hurt me in the beginning..." Hinata closes his parting lips briefly before opening them again.

"I'm grateful that you're the one to fall in love with her."

"What is that suppose to mean?" Kageyama raises an eyebrow, tilting his head. Hinata pulls his hand away from Kageyama's shoulder and ruffles his hair, puckering his lips out to pout.

"W-Well, you're not a sleazeball so I know you're not dating her because of her looks. She's very affectionate and it'd annoy me if whoever her future boyfriend is takes advantage of that." Hinata's face flushes red when he mentions Y/L/N's behavior.

"What are you trying to say Hinata?" Kageyama is still confused on how that has anything to do with his previous statement.

"I-..." Hinata grows mute and he chugs the green tea down, emptying the bottle. "Y/L/N isn't as innocent as she appears. And I know you wouldn't take advantage of that side of her."

Kageyama is the one to flush red now when he hears Hinata's true reason.

Hinata is afraid of a stranger finding out this secret side of Y/L/N?

"You're a good guy Kageyama. You won't make the same mistake as I did. That's another reason why I'm glad you're the one who's falling in love with her. You're a gentlemanly king."

"Don't call me that." Kageyama mumbles out, scrunching his nose with blushing cheeks. Hinata chuckles in response and the two share a comfortable silence.

Kageyama's anxiety slowly settles after their conversation.

He mentally told himself he would keep this one sided relationship closed up but with Hinata's encouragement, he slowly unlocks the invisible lock around his heart.

He still feels afraid about the whole idea, but it'll be more frightening if someone else were to enter Y/L/N's life and sweep her away. Or the possible scenario of her going back to Miyagi after their semester ends in April. He has less than a month to figure something out.