For you, I'm willing to be second

He's done hiding?

You hear Kageyama exhale from above you. His grip on the chains of the swing loosens. Kageyama remains hiding behind you while he gathers his courage and thoughts together. The tightness in his chest and the butterflies in his stomach makes him nauseous.

He's never been this nervous. Not even for a big volleyball match.

Where should he start?

He wants this confession to be full of details to the point Y/L/N is overwhelmed. But at the same time he doesn't want to scare her off.

"Do you remember the second year of high school? When you became my tutor?" Kageyama softly speaks up. You wonder if he's wearing a smile right now.

"Yeah, you were surprisingly studious." You lightheartedly giggle, your eyes casting down to your lap. He grumbles from your jab.

"That was the start of something that's held me back for three years."

Held him back? Did you make him lose an opportunity?

You hear Kageyama move from his spot. He slowly makes his way to stand in front of you. A scowl grows on his face when he looks down at you. You feel smaller than usual when you sit still under his dark blue eyes.

"Something that's held me back to number two instead of number one." His parting lips speak softly only for you to hear. You couldn't follow his words. It seems like a deeper meaning is being implied.

"I can't blame you though. You were blindly in love. In love with an orange haired idiot who didn't know what he had."

His tone grows spiteful when he thinks about Hinata.

"Every second of every moment I saw the two of you together, I couldn't bare being around. I avoided the two of you to avoid my own personal feelings. These disgusting feelings I couldn't wash away or drown out."

You start to grow guilty for making Kageyama feel like this for so many years.

How did he manage to remain friends with you and Hinata if this is how he truly felt?

"I managed to bottle those odd emotions for years. Until recently." Kageyama bites his tongue, avoiding your wavering gaze. "Until recently, these emotions spilled out. Anger, fear, and happiness all seem to flood at me all at once. It's overwhelming and the only reaction I have towards everything is anger."

You watch Kageyama tighten his hands into fists, he shakes them violently. "Anger is honestly the only emotion I really understand and it's one that I lean on more than I should. But..." His blue eyes slowly meet your eyes again. You watch them visibly soften. "It's not an emotion I want to treat you with Y/L/N."