Chapter 39

I woke up to a doorbell ringing and mutters from outside.

"Hi these are for Azami Navarro, is she here?" I heard from an unfamiliar voice.

"Ami! Someone's at the door for you!" I heard Willie cry out.

I jumped out of bed as I rushed towards the front door to see a man in uniform with a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

Insecure of my morning breath, I covered my mouth when I thanked him. I stood in the living room peering at the bouquet of bright colors in my hand. A mixture of Statice flowers and Red Roses. A symbol of success and love. The same ones I get every year.

Success for what? Surviving another year? Yay me.

I started to walk back to my room when Willie snatches the card in the holder in the middle of my flowers, luckily I was quick enough to take it back. "Hey these are mine! Privacy!" I yelled at him as I shut the door in his face.

"Rude" I heard him mutter as his footsteps became faint.

I placed the flowers on top of my desk as I turned the tiny card over in my hands.

"Happy Birthday my love - mom, dad & and the boys"

The same message I had gotten for the last 13 years. Before that it used to be just mom and dad.

Happy 17th Birthday Ami. I said to myself as I flopped onto my bed, sleep taking over my body.

Soon enough I woke up to my phone ringing next to me.

Mrs. Williams is calling...

I answered the call, "Hello? Mrs. Williams?"

"Hi honey! Happy Birthday!" Mrs. Williams sweet voice filled my ears. I sat up in my bed, my body feeling warm with comfort.

"Thank you Mrs. Williams, how are you? Isn't it late over there?" I questioned tiredly.

Then I hear a ding of an elevator and the sound of rolling suitcases when Mr. Williams answered my question, "We're doing great kid, although it's not late where we are."

Curiosity struck a my face as I hear the doorbell go off in the front door, "Louis! Get the door!" No one answered. "Timmy? Willie?" I walked out of my room to see the rest of the apartment empty.

"Hold on someone's at the door." I said into the phone.

I walked towards the door where the impatient people kept ringing the doorbell, "Okay okay, I'm coming." I muttered.

I opened the door and a gasp escaped my lips.

Holy shit.

"Surprise!" Mr. and Mrs. Williams yelled out as they engulfed me into a hug.

I looked at them confused, "What- what are you guys doing here?"

Mr. Williams had let go of me and started bringing in their suitcases, "It's your birthday of course! And we wanted to surprise you!"

Mrs. Williams and I still stood at the door, she was still admiring my face, fixing my hair and stuff.

"But what about your classes?" I questioned as I looked at Mrs. Williams.

"We finished school last week, our school system is different than the American school system remember?" Mrs. Williams answered as she took off her coat and let it hang on a chair.