CHP 44

The persistent, shrill sound of ringing ladens Jimin's ears. He's stirred out of his stupor as he can feel himself being lifted up into the back of a vehicle. In his haze and as his head falls from the left to the right, softened hues of red and blue filter into his vision.

Suddenly there's pressure felt around his hand. He stares at the fingers woven securely between his own and slowly works his way up the arm with his eyes. Faintly, he can make out the worried complexion of his favourite policeman. Jimin doesn't have enough power to squeeze Jeongguk's hand and nor does he have the energy to lift the edges of his lips. And so simply, he stares at the brunette with a very faint glimmer of relief in his eyes.

"I'm right here," Jeongguk says.

Jimin can barely hear him. He swipes his tongue over his dried up lips and before the door of the ambulance closes, he can see a team of policemen rushing into Kai's home. The light in the back of the emergency vehicle dies down as he's secured within it's walls. He's injected with morphine to quell the pain in volcanic eruption surrounding every inch of his body. Jeongguk squeezes a little harder and soon the blond passes out.

-

The fluorescent hospital lights bleed into his vision the moment Jimin struggles to orient himself. His once settled face morphs into a grimace as he twists his head softly, letting out a subsued whimper.

His vision lingers to the left and as he grows more accustomed to the brightness of his hospital room, he spots Jeongguk sitting at his bedside. The man looks as though he hasn't gotten a single wink of sleep. His eyes are drained of all energy, encompassed by red rings spurred on by none other than what he could possibly assume to be crying. His brown hair is secured back with a black elastic, swept out of his face. This allows Jimin too see every tired aspect of his complexion and even though he's the one on the hospital bed, he feels bad.

"Jeongguk," he rasps.

Jeongguk finally notices that Jimin is awake. The policeman beams softly, reaching out to tuck some of the blond's hair behind his ear, out of his eyes. He looks as though he's ready to cry once again.

"Jimin, I'm so fucking sorry for everything. My baby, I promised I wouldn't leave your side and I did. I should have known better. I should have kept a closer eye on you. This is all my fault—"

"Koo," Jimin calls out once again, putting the man's regretful tangent to a stop. He reaches out and very weakly brushes his fingertips against Jeongguk's cheek. "It isn't your fault. None of this is your fault. I walked away. I let my mind win and listened to the voices. They dragged me away, okay? There was nothing you could have done," he soothes and watches as the brunette sinks into his palm.

Although Jeongguk is clearly struggling to swallow down the words, he nods his head and releases a shaky breath. Jimin's expression softens over and grows partially meek as the policeman stares into his eyes deeply. And then his gaze wanders to his cheek where he assumes it to be a deep blue or purple.

"...I wanted to walk in there and fucking chop his hands off of his arms myself. But I needed to call for backup. You were bleeding out and you were so pale - God... for a moment I really thought I'd lost you," Jeongguk explains quietly with some grittiness lining his words.

Jimin can feels his eyes blur. He swallows thickly, struggling to mitigate the need to cry. Jeongguk's fingers ghost so benignly against the surface of his cheek, it almost feels like a slow dance. He pulls on his bottom lip, biting back his tears. However he fails and they roll down the bridge of his nose and the side of his face.

The policeman curls his fingers, wiping them away gently. Jimin continues to look at him with an impossible amount of fondness, itching to be well again and free from this nightmare. He reaches his own hand out and grips Jeongguk's chin, sure that they're both reflecting ardent gazes.