The Ballad of Holly Darling

Val's POV

Poppy is making gift baskets for our friends while I help her.

Just then, Smidge comes into the room riding a wagon. "Back to deliver more baskets, Poppy. Everyone loves them. Some even sent you thank you cards." Smidge says while giving Poppy the thank you cards. "Synth, Dante, Lownote, oh, and this one's from Holly Darling."

Smidge then pulls out a giant gift basket.

"Wow." I say plainly.

Poppy was so surprised to see the gift basket. "Wow! How great is this?! I mean, to say thank you for the gift I gave her, Holly gave me a gift...that's nicer...and prettier...and more extravagant than mine in every way." She says.

Oh, no. I know where this is going.

"Wait, is it just me or is this confusing?" Poppy asks.

"Not really." I say.

"You know, I bet this is all just some mix-up. Come on, Val, we better go tell Holly I got this by mistake." Poppy says to me.

"...Okay." I say.

We make it to Country Corral. As we try to find Holly, we look around to see a lot of cool things.

And all the country trolls are very friendly.

"Poppy?! Val?!" We hear Holly shout.

We look ahead to see Holly running over to us.

"Holly!" Poppy and I say in unison.

But when she was getting closer to us, she wasn't slowing down.

"Slow down, slow down, slow down!" Poppy says nervously.

I was just standing there with wide eyes.

Holly hugs us before throwing us up in the air. And she threw us really high up.

As we are falling back down, Poppy screams while I smile with happiness.

This is really fun.

As we get close to the ground we land on seats with a table in front of us.

"First you give me that lovely gift basket, and now you pay me a visit? Well, get ready for girl time, y'all. Cause I am not leaving till we share all our biggest hopes and dreams. Mine's winning the Lonesome Flats Cutie Pageant for a fifth straight time." Holly says with excitement.

Dang. She's lucky to have won a lot.

"Uh, well, we'd love to chat, Holly. But first, we think there's a mix-up with your thank you gift." Poppy says.

I grab the gift basket and put it on the table.

Holly gasps. "You go that from me? Oh, no, y'all, that is so embarrassing." She says.

"Oh, so it was a mix-up." Poppy says in relief.

"It sure was. You were supposed to get this one." Holly says before pulling out an even bigger gift basket.

Poppy was speechless. So was I.

"I am so glad we got that cleared up. Well, bye, y'all." Holly says before running off.

Poppy was still in her shocked state when I came up to her.

"Wow. That was unexpected." I say referring to the giant gift basket.

Poppy sighs. "Me neither, Val. I mean, I really wanted to show Holly how much I appreciate her, you know? But now, somehow it doesn't feel like I did." She says to me.