Kiss it better

A/N: Sykkuno is in kindergarten and corpse is in first grade for this oneshot. Thought I'd try something different.

A warm breeze caresses Sykkuno's soft skin as he steps out the doors of the school. He takes a deep breath, filling his small lungs up as far as they can go before slowly exhaling. The fresh air smells nice. The smell is a mix between dirt, freshly cut grass, and a clean, invigorating scent that Sykkuno has come to associate with the beginning of a beautiful spring.

It's one of the nicest days in a while. The rain has subsided for a couple days, and the clouds outside are the white and fluffy kind that always seem to entrance 4-year-old Sykkuno. A warm, bright sun is just peeking out from behind one of the clouds, the light from it glinting off of Sykkuno's skin and warming him up in the most amazing way.

School has been great so far for Sykkuno. He's made a lot of friends, he loves the constant movement and the fun activities, and his teacher once said that Sykkuno is her "Favorite Helper".

Sykkuno practically glowed with pride. However, since the very first day of kindergarten, Sykkuno has always loved recess the most. There's something about being able to run around, climb on things, look at bugs, or do whatever he wants that makes Sykkuno ridiculously happy.

And today is no exception. Sykkuno's short little legs are itching to carry him to the monkey bars, his favorite part of the playground. Ever since Sykkuno learned how to complete them, he's had a sort of magnetic attraction to the metal bars.

Not able to resist it anymore, Sykkuno takes off running. His velcro trainers slap against the pavement as he dashes toward the welcoming dirt and grass of the playground, headed straight for his beloved monkey bars. A warm breeze strokes his skin as he runs, blowing his soft, hair back and revealing the skin of his forehead.

But then, just as Sykkuno's reaching his top running speed, about a meter from the fresh dirt of the playground, the toe of his trainer catches on the ground. He has a moment of panic, falling down, down, down until he feels impact on his knees and palms.

And, ouch, that hurts. Sykkuno looks down at his palms to see the previously soft skin scraped and bruised, not even resembling the smooth, pale skin that he remembers being there. His gaze shifts from the palms of his hands to the skin of his knees, which feel raw and uncomfortable. They're even worse. Blood is already staining the skin there, and the scrape on his right knee hurts really, really bad.

Before he even knows what's happening, tears are welling up in his eyes. His palms sting and his right knee feels like it's on fire, kids are running by and knocking into Sykkuno where he sits on the pavement.

And there's a single, thin stream of blood trickling down Sykkuno's shin. Nothing is okay right now, and Sykkuno does the only thing he knows that helps him cope with pain. He cries.

Sykkuno's been told by adults that he's a 'tough kid', but he doesn't feel tough right now. He feels like a newborn baby. He can't seem to stop crying. His hands hurt real bad, and every time he tries to wipe the blood away from his knee it just smears all over his legs. He's frustrated and angry and he's in a lot of pain, and crying is the only thing that seems appropriate right now.

So Sykkuno keeps crying. The tears feel hot where they're sliding down the smooth skin of Sykkuno's face, and he can't wipe them away because there's blood on his hands and he doesn't want it near his eyes. The frustration just makes him cry harder, tears splatting onto his brand new just-for-school shorts that his mum bought him. Sykkuno's knee still hurts more than anything he's ever felt.