10: The Life of the Successors

Silver Leaf University, one of the most prestigious schools in Silver Leaf. Students here are often old students from their primary schools and transfer students are chosen from selected schools through recommendations and scholarships only. Now, the school accepts transfer students from different schools regardless if they are recommended or not, as long as their average is up to the standards required of the school. It is a new school year and there are a lot of new students. After orientation, most of the new students have joined their friend groups or planned in joining clubs.

*Francis has been a loner for a long time. He prioritizes his studies all throughout his school life, but this changed until he met a familiar face. After a while he made a social circle consisting of himself, siblings, and a transfer student. Adrion, his classmate in primary school. Alice, his long-time crush. Finally Alistair, his shy new friend. He always felt different when he's with them. He has always wondered how he even got into this group and he wants to know what it's like to truly have a 'friend'.

Whenever Francis is with Adrion, they don't talk often. They do have small talk, but it's only for a few minutes and they don't at all. When they were in primary school, they used to be partners all the time because they sit next to each other. They don't talk often, but they do a lot of things together. When Francis found out that Adrion has a sister, and when he met her, he was love struck. After a while, Francis and Adrion didn't talk to each other after high school and met again when they were about to go to college.

"Hey, Francis...Can I come with me for a second? I need to get something and I need some help." Adrion asked.

"Sure, what do you need?" Francis said, not sure what Adrion was gonna do.

"It's in the teacher's lounge, follow me." Adrion said as they made their way  there.

"Sooo....How was your classes?" Francis asked after minutes of silence.

"It was alright, how about you?" Adrion responded. Arriving in the teacher's lounge and carrying all the books back to the library.

Whenever Francis is with Alice, it's more awkward than it's supposed to be. Francis first met Alice when they were in 1st grade, after being introduced by Adrion. Alice already knows how Francis feels about her, but she never mentions and is waits for him to say it. What Francis and Alice do together is mostly talking and playing together. Francis adores Alice's intellect and tries to impress her but gets stopped by his conscious and thoughts.

"I guess Adrion and Alistair are still in class, what do you want to do for a while?" Alice asked while they sat under one of the benches by the garden.

"Uhhh...Well...How about ummm..." Francis said, not being able to think of anything.

"Don't worry, take your time." Alice said, smiling at him.

"How about we get to drink? I-I'll get us some! What would you like?" Francis said, standing up.

"Oh! Hmm...I would like some calamansi juice. Though, it is alright for you to pay for it?" Alice said, asking Francis after.

"No No! It's fine! I'll be back!" Francis exclaimed as he ran off to the nearest vending machine.

"Get your act together Francis! Why are you always like this when she's the only one with you...?"

Whenever Francis is with Alistair, they talk about a lot of things. Like Francis, Alistair knows a lot of information, most often history and technology. They share the same interests in reading, so Alistair lets him read his short stories from time to time.

"Do you like it...?" Alistair asked, Francis nodding.

"It's really good, you should show this to Adrion and Alice some time." Francis said.