C H A P T E R 24

° ° °

Arriving in front of the ICU room, Lisa faced her mother.

"I'll just stay here. Go inside now."

Miss Chaerin gave her a worried look. "Are you still not going to visit your father, Lalisa?"

She shook her head and answered her mother honestly. "I'm sorry, mom. But I just can't."

Miss Chaerin let out a sigh. "Why did you even came with me if you're not going to visit him then?"

Lisa forced a smile. "I'm here because of Jisoo eonnie."

Her mother slightly nods her head. "Alright, then. I'll go inside now."

Lisa's gaze followed Miss Chaerin as she entered the door to the ICU room. And after her mother was completely inside, she stared at the door for a long time.

It's been days since her dinner with Jeon and Kim Seokjin happened. And up until now, she still refuses to believe that her former boss is the man responsible for breaking her eonnie's heart.

For her, it was ridiculous. Moreover, outrageous.

How can Mr. Kim—a nice, gentle, and sweet man, break a girl's innocent heart? That's just impossible.

But no matter how much she denies it, Seokjin already told her the truth himself.

Lisa sighed at the back of her mind.

She doesn't want to believe it. She can't. She doesn't want to despise the man who saved her and took care of her while she was experiencing her darkest moments.

But what upsets her the most is that she doesn't even know what to do about it. She can't even get mad or angry. She promised herself that once she finds the man who brought pain to her eonnie, she will make him pay. But what can she do now? She can't decide whether or not to continue her plan anymore.

Tightening her hold to the strap of her shoulder bag, Lisa decided to leave.

But just as she was about to take her first step, someone called her name from behind.

"Lis?"

Like a criminal who has been caught, she looked over to her shoulder and stilled when she saw Jisoo walking towards her direction with a sweet smile on her lips.

She gulped. "Eonnie."

Jisoo halted in front of her. "Are you here to visit your father?"

She shook her head. "No, I just went to accompany mom."

"That's new," Jisoo said as her head tilted to the side. "Auntie Chaerin would always visit your father everyday, so how come accompany her just now?"

"Uhh," Lisa wasn't able to reply right away. "actually..." she trailed off. "I came here to talk to you about something." she then quickly added. "But I changed my mind. Maybe I'll just talk to you again some other time."

She was supposed to turn her back on Jisoo but the black-haired woman grabbed her wrist, stopping her from escaping.

"Yah, Lalisa. Is there something you want to tell me?"

Lisa's gaze dropped on Jisoo's hand that was holding her wrist, her eyes quickly noticing the familiar object wrapped around her cousin's wrist.

A bracelet. An antique bracelet.

And then it hit her.

"Those antiques that I bought on the charity gala,  they weren't for my mother."