Rescued

Izuku's POV

   I bit my lips, wiping away my tears as I hugged Eri closely. She held onto me tightly, trembling slightly. We were currently sitting on the floor of her bedroom, my back against the door. My legs have given out after the run back from the experiment room. 

   "Izuku-san...Please don't cry." Eri's voice came out as a hushed whisper. "I-I'm sorry."

   "What are you sorry about? There's nothing you should be sorry about, Eri." I said, patting her head. "I'm alright, Eri. I'm okay."

   Eri looked at me with eyes filled with concern. She buried her face into my chest, letting out small sniffles. I couldn't help but smile a little at her cuteness.

   "Now, Eri. Why didn't you tell me that Overhaul was doing stuff like that?" I asked, pouting at the young girl.

   Eri stared at me silently before averting her eyes to the floor. She furrowed her eyebrows, fumbling with her fingers. She looked back up at me, 

   "H-He said that he would hurt you if I did tell you about it..." Eri said, tears forming in her eyes again.

   I felt my heart melt at her soft words. Its been a while since I felt loved like this. I smiled and kissed Eri's forehead. 

   "Eri, don't worry about me getting hurt. Besides, I want to be able to protect you." I said, picking her up. "The only thing I want for you to be concerned about is about yourself...Your own happiness."

    "My happiness? But Overhaul said I don't deserve happiness..." Eri mumbled. 

   I frowned as I set her down on her bed. I crouched down in front of her, holding her hand. She gave me a confused look, but I simply smiled at her.

   "Eri, you deserve the whole world." I said. "Don't ever believe someone if they tell you that you don't deserve happiness."

   After hearing my words, Eri nodded, wiping her tears away as she smiled...She smiled.

   "Eri...You smiled!" I said. 

   "I...I smiled?" Eri asked, seeming very shocked at my words. 

   "Yep! You smiled." I laughed, hugging the young girl. "I have to say...It's nice to see you smile."

   Eri seemed to think for a moment, but then she began to make cute faces. I laughed at her failed attempts at trying to smile. I lightly patted her head, and she pouted.

   "It's okay, Eri. Don't force yourself to laugh." I said. "It's not healthy to force a smile when you don't feel like it."

   "It isn't?"

   "Nope. You're only going to be hiding what you're truly feeling, and that's not healthy. It's better to let others know what you're feeling." I explained, looking back at my own past. "Besides...Your smile shines best when you actually mean it."

   "I see..." Eri mumbled. "Thank you, Izuku-san...For teaching me how to smile."

   "I didn't teach you how to smile...You did it on your own." I said. "And I'm very proud of you."

   "But still...Thank you for helping me." Eri said, hugging me. 

   "Anybody would have if they were in this situation." I sighed. "Now, get some rest, Eri. You must be tired."

   The small girl nodded, laying back on the bed. She slowly settled down, blinking at me with puppy eyes. I chuckled, laying besides her and pulling up the covers. She hugged me, and I hugged her as well, singing her a quiet lullaby to make sure she fell asleep well.

   My eyes started drooping after a while of laying there. Tiredness overcame my body, and I started drifting off to sleep. The last thing I remember is seeing the room door open, and even though I tried to force myself awake again, I couldn't for some odd reason.

Time Skip

   I woke up to a sudden crash sounding from nearby. I looked towards Eri, who was thankfully still next to me, and I quickly woke her. She seemed startled at my actions, but when I quickly handed her my large jacket I had obtained during my stay here. 

   She was still half asleep, so I simply carried her on my back, tying the sleeves of the oversized jacket around my neck to prevent Eri from slipping off. I told her to go back to sleep, which she did, and I quickly ran to where the sound came from.

   As I ran down the halls, I heard another crash, followed by another. There were a series of crashes, sounding from various places. In the end, I decided to find a way out of the hideout, thinking that this would be a chance for Eri and I to escape. Or at least get help.

   However, my plans were spoiled when a large cement wall blocked my path. I turned around to find Overhaul walking towards me. I glared at him, backing towards the wall the he had created, gulping when I felt a pressure on my back. 

   Eri seemed to have awaken, her figure going tense as she gripped on my t-shirt. I whispered comforting words to her which seemed to calm her down a little bit. However, she tensed up again when Overhaul came even closer. 

   I bit my lips, my heart pounding. Anxiety overcame my mind, and I could hear my own pulse in my ears. My breathing became irregular, my sight fading to black as dizziness swallowed me. 

   It was the first time I have felt so helpless. I couldn't use my quirk right now, and although I knew self defense skills thanks to my father's years of abuse, I wouldn't be able to protect both Eri and myself. 

   I felt tears prick my eyes at this horrid feeling, but I stood strong. Even if I had no quirk, I would never let myself show weakness. At least not in front of Eri. Not now, not ever.

   "You're quite the brave one." Overhaul mumbled. He sighed and stopped in front of me. "I've been considering what you have said yesterday night...And I wanted to apologize."

   I stared at him, surprised but also suspicious. He sighed again and stepped a bit further away, seeming to have noticed my discomfort.

   "I...I'm truly sorry." Overhaul kneeled, his head low and gaze firmly on the floor. "I realized just how bad my actions were...I know that I can't be redeemed for my bad deeds but...I really wanted to apologize. In person."

   He stood back up, looking towards Eri. 

   "I'm really sorry Eri." Overhaul said, another deafening crash sounding nearby. "But it seems now, when I really want to mend my relationship with you two, that those heroes have to come."

   "Let those two go, Overhaul!" A familiar voice shouted. "I won't let you get away this time."