Experiments

Izuku's POV

   I woke up, rubbing my eyes. I reached out to see if Eri was awake, but I jolted up at the absence of her presence. I looked around frantically before realizing that the place where she lay was indeed empty. 

   "She must've woken up early..." I sighed, getting up from the bed myself. 

   I glanced at the bedside table, seeing a plate of bread and some fruit. There was also a cup of water. There was a note next to it saying, "Eat."

   I stifled a small laugh at the blunt note and carefully picked up the plate. I sighed, stuffing my mouth with a piece of bread. I continued eating, getting lost in my thoughts as I did so. 

   My mind wandered off to the thoughts of Aika and the others, wondering if they were concerned about me, if they were looking for me. I smiled bitterly at the thought of my friends, the teachers, and other people.  

   Before I knew it, I had finished the food on the plate. I sighed as I set it back down on the bedside table, closing my eyes as I rested my head on the bedpost. 

   My thoughts turned to Eri and Overhaul. What would happen if I was rescued and everyone was caught? What is Overhaul doing with Eri? How bad was it that I'm not allowed to know?

   "...He doesn't seem that bad...Well, at least not as bad as my father." I huffed, rolling my eyes in anger and regret as I thought of my so called father. "Just, I don't understand...Why does he choose to live this way?"

   Just as I got up to head to the restroom, I heard a loud scream. I froze, and it took me a while to realize that it was Eri's scream. I felt my heartbeat quicken as anxiety bubbled up within. My feet started taking me to where I heard it.

   I slowed down to a stop when I came across a door that I have never seen. I've never been allowed to come to this part of the hideout, and although some of the yakuza members that were guarding the hallway tried to keep me away, I fought as hard as I could to get past them. 

   I haven't been able to use my quirk due to this weird device that I was forced to wear. It was in the form of a bracelet and has been injecting some weird liquid into me every 5 hours. Once, I managed to get it off and the drug wore off. The quirk canceling drug didn't seem to be permanent or at least not right now. If I remember correctly, Overhaul has already started developing the drug even more.

   I shook my head as I cleared other useless thoughts. I touched the door, hesitation rising up inside, when another scream rang from inside the room. I quickly pushed the door open, fueled by adrenaline, only to be shocked by the sight that was revealed. 

   I stared in shock, horror, and fear. Eri was tied up to an old medical chair, tears streaming down her face. There was a large deep cut running along her frail arms, blood oozing out of them as they quickly healed back. My face contorted as I came to the realization that this twisted experiment was what they were hiding from me till now. 

   "W-What is this?! What are you doing?!" I choked out, my voice raising in anger. 

   "...It's none of your business." Overhaul sighed. 

   I bit my lips and slowly walked over to Eri. I glared as I passed by Overhaul, carefully releasing Eri from the tight ropes that were restricting her. Overhaul tried to stop me but I quickly and harshly slapped his hand away from me. I pulled Eri closer to my side, hugging her as I looked up at Overhaul.

   "Stop this now...Leave this room, and I'll pretend like this hasn't happened." Overhaul threatened his eyes narrowing in was I assumed to be anger and disapproval.

   "Why should I? I refuse to let you lay a finger on Eri." I snarled. Eri was visibly shaking and I could feel it. I could hear her trying to stifle her cries and she clutched onto my clothes tighter.

   "Eri, let go of him. If you continue today's experiment without causing any more trouble, then I'll let this boy live." Overhaul said, directing his threats to Eri. 

   At this, Eri tensed and trembled even more. Although she seemed very fearful and hesitant, she slowly let go of my clothes and weakly pushed against my shoulders.

   "Let my go, Izuku." Eri whispered. I felt my heart shatter as she said this, hugging her closer. "He's going to hurt you..."

   I smiled, patting Eri's back as I comforted her. I directed my attention to Overhaul.

   "Why are you doing this?" I asked.

   "This is the only way to make use of her quirk, kid." Overhaul sighed. "This is the only way to rid this world of the disease you guys call a 'quirk.'"

   "She's a child! She's a human, not a tool!" I yelled, my anger boiling as he stared at me. He looked away at what I said. 

   "...So?"

   "So...? SO?!" I stared in disbelief. "Stop hurting Eri to let out your frustration. If your hurting others because you're too scared to face your problems on your own, you're being weak. You're just forcing others to deal with your problems for you. You're a coward, Overhaul."

   "Shut up! You don't know what I went through!" Overhaul yelled, glaring at me. I glared back.

   "Yes, I don't! I know that I don't!" I sucked in a deep breath, my emotions getting the better of me. "I may not understand what you went through or what you're going through now, but I know that you've been feeling pain. But that doesn't give you any reason to hurt others!"

   "Stop trying to pity me!" Overhaul slammed his fist down on the table next to him. "Stop telling me what to do! You don't know what it feels like!"

   "...I felt pain too...I've been through a lot too...I may not know what you went through exactly, but I can tell that you are in pain..." I said, my voice cracking. "I went through years of abuse, I lost many precious people in my life, and I felt the pain of being thrown away by the people I trusted most. I don't know if you went through more or less than me, and I know that I'm not in the place to say this but..."

   I paused, tears flowing as I looked up at the villain. 

   "...I'm still here aren't I? I'm standing here, strong and I'm dealing with my own problems." I frowned, staring right into the startled villain's eyes. 

  "Unlike you, Overhaul."