Chapter 8

(Back to Eva POV)

"Elias!"

My eyes flew open and I immediately sat up. A man was standing in the doorway. A man who was definitely not Elias.

He was large. Shoulders broad. He too, like Eli had wings, though they were not as large. His hair was long. And his face though, at first looked worried was full of amusement as his eyes came to rest on me.

"Who are you?" I asked him. I could feel myself frowning.

"I could ask you the same thing," he said playfully mocking my expression
"Eliassssss!" His last word turning into a shout.

Elias entered ripping off an apron. The mans look of amusement only increased.
"Yessss," he replied a smile on his face.

"Are you going to explain why you didn't turn up to your very important meeting and I've found you in the cabin with a beautiful mysterious girl?"

"Let me reason with you, I don't explain myself but I also don't explain to aunt Nesta that you called my new friend Eva here beautiful?"

The man at the door smiled and then grabbed Eli and put him in a headlock. I stood ready to do what, i wasn't sure but i relaxed when the man started messing up Eli's hair and laughing as he protested. This man was his friend.

The man finally released Eli who was promptly fixing his hair as he said

"Eva meet my Uncle Cassian, Uncle Cass meet Evalin."

"Nice to meet you," I said and put on my most charming smile.

Cassian walked over to me took and kissed my hand
"The pleasure is all mine,"

I giggled like an idiot. I couldn't help it he was good looking. Married by the looks of the ring on his finger. But it was an observation I couldn't help but make.

"If you don't stop flirting with her I'm definitely telling aunt Nesta," Eli had a grumpy look on his face.

"I'm just being welcoming to your new friend- wait for a second are you jealous?," Cassian teased.

"No of course not," Eli smiled but it seemed strained

Was he jealous?

"Come on general I will debrief you outside," Eli turned to look at me "there's breakfast in the kitchen and clean clothes upstairs be ready in 20?"

I nodded "sure," I smiled at Eli, winked at Cassian and turned to the kitchen. A laugh sounded from behind me.

"I knew I liked her," I heard Cassian say. All I could make out was Eli grumbling and the door shutting behind them.

I smiled to myself. I grabbed a quick breakfast ran upstairs and got dressed into some new fighting leathers. They were similar to my favourite ones back home.

I missed home.

I hadn't been gone for long at all but I missed the smell of pine trees, my training sessions with father, my little brothers smile and mom. I missed moms hugs and sneaking down to the kitchens in the middle of the night with her to eat our body weight in chocolate cake without dad finding out.

"Eva you ready!" Eli shouted from downstairs. How long had I been stood daydreaming? I brushed my hair and tied it up with a leather band into a high ponytail that swished when I walked, I shoved on my boots and ran down the stairs to meet an single figure.