Chapter 19

I awoke again in a startled manner. Though, the distant sound of bird song nor the light dancing through the window was the reason for it. Arwen stood at the end of my bed, arms crossed and tapping her foot like it was an unexpected inconvenience that I was asleep 5 in the morning.

My disheveled state made her let out a breathy chuckle

"Get up, we've got shit to do,"

I rubbed vigorously at my eyes. It seemed my sleep deprived self was under the impression that if I rubbed hard enough she would disappear like a bad dream and I could doze back off.

"I mean it Eva, I've got 2 days off duty and I plan to make it count,"

I propped myself up on my elbows "Oh my god you are an army brat aren't you," my voice came out scratchy

She smiled at me "born and raised, now clothes," she looked me up and down "definitely brush your hair and down in 5,"

Her words were not a question. I kept reminding myself that I had already decided that I liked her and rolled out of my warm cocoon of sheets and blankets. The cold hard floor hit me like a punch in the stomach and I sat up blinking at the suddenness of it all.
Reluctantly I stood and did what she had told me. My movements feeling all too fast and too painstakingly slow at the same time. A distant pounding was set behind my eyes.

Oh my gods. I was so hungover.

I couldn't remember the last time I'd picked a fight against liquor and lost. But now, as I splashed cold water over my face all I could feel was that defeat. I hoped Eli was in the same state. It was a cruel thought but one that if the truth, would save me a lot of embarrassment and taunts from his end.

My wish had come true, the sudden attack of broad daylight wasn't the only thing to greet me when I entered the sitting room. Eli was splayed out over a big green sofa nursing a cup of tea like it was to cure all of his problems. I went and plonked myself next to him, sinking into the plush cushions as I gave him a sympathetic smile. Arwen was the only other person present.

Her voice carried around the room slapping me awake, I winced at the contact.

"I know you are both hungover but we have a game plan to make and not enough time to make it. The rest of the family is busy on various duties so it's fallen to me to strategise."

Eli grumbled out a laugh "don't act like you aren't going to enjoy it, I know this is your favourite pastime,"

"My favourite cousin!" She exclaimed "I thought you knew me better, my favourite pastime is getting drunk out of my wits but clearly I missed my invite to last night," she wasn't annoyed. Her tone was light and playful.

"Trust me, the hangover is almost not worth the fun we had," I groaned at the sound of my own voice.

"What do I need to do to get you both in working conditions?"

5 minutes later we were sat in the kitchen a cooked breakfast sat in front of us. The upturn of his mouth created a smile of my own as we sat devouring the cure for our 'illness'.

"Uncle Az has found a way into the spring court for the party,"

I felt Elias stiffen next to me. A rigidness set into his shoulders, it's like he'd convinced himself the day was never going to come. I couldn't bring myself to look at his expression though I knew from the cloud that seemed to hang over the room that his easy smile was gone.

Arwen continued "we've managed to procure you an invite." She smiled. "You have a new name,"

"Please tell me it's not awful, I have to be able to listen to it and it not laugh,"

"It's actually quite pretty, you shall be known as Lady Lillian from the Faerie realms to the east, Montesere, to be more specific,"

I raised my eyebrows.

"Your right it is a pretty name,"

It clanged around in my head as I tried to make the link I was missing. Why was it so familiar

Arwen cleared her throat and I retreated from my thoughts.

"We are going to have to change your appearance a little,"

The cloud over the room had turned into a shadow and when I looked down at the table Eli's hand was balled into a fist.

"Okay, nothing too drastic?"

"We will need to cover your tattoos which is easily doable but we will need to do something about your hair,"

I retreated back in my seat "your not cutting it!" I gasped.

Arwen laughed "No, no, I spoke to Mor and she said she can help you dye it,"

Relief came over me in a wave as I let out a sigh.

"I just need to go and get a map of the spring court from the house of wind, I've got a few plans already that I will go over with you, be right back,"

Arwen winnowed out of the room. Me and Eli sat in silence for a moment before I managed to build up the nerve to turn and look at him.
When I did his expression had the food I just wolfed down turning sour in my stomach.

"Don't do this" was all he said, his anger turning into something cooler when he met my eyes.

"Don't be unfair," I told him "you know I have to."

"No, no you don't. There will be another way for information!" He knew he was clutching at straws.

"You don't know that." I stated "Why do you fight me on this? I know your family has a feud but this feels like something more, what happened, what did they do to you?"

His eyes that were looking down snapped up to me. I knew I'd hit a nerve but kept on pushing.

"What did they do that makes you turn into a different person at the mention of me even stepping foot there? Do you not trust me to handle myself?

He slumped back down on his chair. I watched him as the morning sun danced through his raven black hair.

"No, it's not you I don't trust," despite himself he let out a chuckle.

"Cauldron, i'm almost worried for hell you will unleash onto the spring court."

I felt my lips tug up.

"It's just, it's a long story."

I understood, if there was anything I could understand it was that.

I put a finger under his chin guiding his eyes up to mine

"It's okay Eli, you don't need to tell me if you aren't ready. I get it. But when you are ready to talk I'm ready to listen."

He wrapped me into a hug. One that was almost too tight to breath, but I suppose those were the best kind, I leaned into it.

"Okay shows over lovebirds," Arwen was infront of us spreading out the large, detailed map onto the table. When she looked back up at us she had a glint in her eye.

"Right then, here's what I had in mind."

———————————————————————————

4K?!?!?!?!?! I simply cannot believe how fast this story is growing it makes me so excited whenever I see the change in numbers!!! I want to apologise for taking so long to upload this chapter. I've been so busy with school (apparently my philosophy essay is more important than writing a new chapter for wattpad but I disagree)! Again Thankyou for all the comments, votes and follows it means the world to me! Love you all a lot and happy reading xoxo

Side note I finished 'the invisible life of Addie LaRue' the other day and SOBBED if you haven't read it I 100000/10 recommend everything about it is just beautiful!!!! Also if you have any book recs pls leave them in the comments because I need a new read to get over the bookhangover in I'm rn 😗✌️